Reload this Page >

Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA

Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA

Old Jan 10, 2023, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
St James Cheese - (Warehouse Dist. location) lunch
The week of thanksgiving, I took an 8-hour train ride from Nola to Memphis, and rather than eat crappy train food, I catered my meals from St. James Cheese Co., and they were terrific. Their hot muffuletta, their blueberry hill salad, and whatever cheese the cheesemonger recommended to me were all amazing.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
The week of thanksgiving, I took an 8-hour train ride from Nola to Memphis, and rather than eat crappy train food, I catered my meals from St. James Cheese Co., and they were terrific. Their hot muffuletta, their blueberry hill salad, and whatever cheese the cheesemonger recommended to me were all amazing.
That sounds absolutely delightful! Great planning! You probably made some of the other passengers jealous. 😄

The husband and wife are very nice people and have a somewhat interesting backstory. Were lucky to have this business in NOLA. I love the smell of the cheeses when I walk into the shop, Prytania St., which is close to my home. Ive been going there since it opened. If you get the chance, try one of their special nighttime tasting events. Very informative.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds absolutely delightful! Great planning! You probably made some of the other passengers jealous. 😄

The husband and wife are very nice people and have a somewhat interesting backstory. Were lucky to have this business in NOLA. I love the smell of the cheeses when I walk into the shop, Prytania St., which is close to my home. Ive been going there since it opened. If you get the chance, try one of their special nighttime tasting events. Very informative.
I dont mean any disrespect to Cochon Butcher, which is terrific, but I discovered St. James Cheeses Warehouse District location when I tired of the lines and crowds at Cochon Butcher, and Ive loved it ever since (and have since been to the Prytania location). Very civilized. Very relaxed. Very friendly. And very delicious, whether one is looking for lunch or for cheese and other delicacies to take home.
FLYMSY and travelmad478 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 1:42 pm

Background article on St. James Cheese:

https://www.cheeseconnoisseur.com/th...-the-big-easy/
Old Jan 11, 2023, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question for the locals: Does the (relatively) new Middendorf's in Slidell have the same menu as the original place at Pass Manchac?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
Question for the locals: Does the (relatively) new Middendorf's in Slidell have the same menu as the original place at Pass Manchac?
I would bet the menus are the same, but, as usual, Google is your friend.

Thanks for asking the question as I wasnt aware that there was a Slidell Middendorfs. Ill probably never try it, but I wish them success. The current owners have been in the restaurant business here for many years and they deserve a lot of credit for sticking it out. (I did eat a few times at Bella Luna.)
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for asking the question as I wasnt aware that there was a Slidell Middendorfs. Ill probably never try it, but I wish them success. The current owners have been in the restaurant business here for many years and they deserve a lot of credit for sticking it out.
When I was a kid in the 60s we'd visit my dad's family near Pontchatoula and, on special occasions, we'd all head down Hwy 51 to Manchac. The restaurant had been there for over 30 years then.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Blumie
I dont mean any disrespect to Cochon Butcher, which is terrific, but I discovered St. James Cheeses Warehouse District location when I tired of the lines and crowds at Cochon Butcher, and Ive loved it ever since (and have since been to the Prytania location). Very civilized. Very relaxed. Very friendly. And very delicious, whether one is looking for lunch or for cheese and other delicacies to take home.

Oh sure, now you tell me about this. Would have been helpful last year before I searched out places for food to bring on our float for Mardi Gras.
I went there for lunch on Wednesday. It was delicious and the service was impeccable. Will definitely return for a go to lunch/specialty.
Thanks to work, I was unable to visit another of the suggestions, though did walk by Herbsaint. Smelled delicious. Will be on my list of places to visit.

Thanks again all for the help. I appreciate it.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
When I was a kid in the 60s we'd visit my dad's family near Pontchatoula and, on special occasions, we'd all head down Hwy 51 to Manchac. The restaurant had been there for over 30 years then.
Same life experience here. 👍

edit: That’s when Middendorf’s had “ambiance”.😁

Last edited by FLYMSY; Jan 13, 2023 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Oh sure, now you tell me about this. Would have been helpful last year before I searched out places for food to bring on our float for Mardi Gras.
I went there for lunch on Wednesday. It was delicious and the service was impeccable. Will definitely return for a go to lunch/specialty.
Thanks to work, I was unable to visit another of the suggestions, though did walk by Herbsaint. Smelled delicious. Will be on my list of places to visit.

Thanks again all for the help. I appreciate it.
Youre welcome. Happy to hear that you enjoyed it. If youre ever in town long enough, check to see if theyre having one of their special events. Heres the list for January to give you an idea.

https://stjamescheese.com/collections/events
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, so my company is attending a conference in August and wants to entertain 8-10 folks. Open to anything - lunch, dinner, drinks, activities.
But, of course some restrictions -
If it is a daytime activity - lunch or otherwise, they are limited to a couple hours on a Tuesday. Since it is mid August and these folks are not from the south, outdoor activities during the day is probably a bad idea.
Nighttime is open to any period 7:30pm and beyond.
Since it is a large group, reservations will likely be necessary, so things like drinks at the Carousel Bar at Monteleone is out.
They can rideshare anywhere.
I know all the traditional places - already recommended brunch at Brennan's, tour of Mardi Gras World, etc.

Fun lunch, dinner, drink places or activities not in a guide book?
Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Okay, so my company is attending a conference in August and wants to entertain 8-10 folks. Open to anything - lunch, dinner, drinks, activities.
But, of course some restrictions -
If it is a daytime activity - lunch or otherwise, they are limited to a couple hours on a Tuesday. Since it is mid August and these folks are not from the south, outdoor activities during the day is probably a bad idea.
Nighttime is open to any period 7:30pm and beyond.
Since it is a large group, reservations will likely be necessary, so things like drinks at the Carousel Bar at Monteleone is out.
They can rideshare anywhere.
I know all the traditional places - already recommended brunch at Brennan's, tour of Mardi Gras World, etc.

Fun lunch, dinner, drink places or activities not in a guide book?
Thanks!
Dinner at Clancys. They can put you in the wine room upstairs.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA GfL
If it is a couple of hours on a Tuesday they can see music at the New Orleans Jazz Museum, which is also worth visiting in its own right, and has excellent AC! The exhibits are very good (I was most recently there about a month ago).

I have a curated restaurant list for visitors and also a page on music/sightseeing for visitors if you would like to peruse either. Mr. travelmad478 and I go out a fair amount and also have a lot of opinions, some of which don’t line up with what the guidebooks tell you, but we do live here (full-time) and have a lot of experience at the guidebook-recommended places too.
pbiflyer likes this.

Last edited by travelmad478; Jul 7, 2023 at 10:39 am Reason: Corrected broken link (hopefully!)
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
If it is a couple of hours on a Tuesday they can see music at the New Orleans Jazz Museum, which is also worth visiting in its own right, and has excellent AC! The exhibits are very good (I was most recently there about a month ago).

I have a curated restaurant list for visitors and also a page on music/sightseeing for visitors if you would like to peruse either. Mr. travelmad478 and I go out a fair amount and also have a lot of opinions, some of which dont line up with what the guidebooks tell you, but we do live here (full-time) and have a lot of experience at the guidebook-recommended places too.
Love the idea of music at the Jazz Museum. And close to Frenchmen St!
Your page on music/sightseeing throws a document not found. Would love to see it.
Do any of those music venues with good food take reservations that you know of? (I can look them up, but if you knew off the top of your head).
Appreciate all the advice everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.