Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA

Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA

Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Love the idea of music at the Jazz Museum. And close to Frenchmen St!
Your page on music/sightseeing throws a document not found. Would love to see it.
Hm. Try this one.
Do any of those music venues with good food take reservations that you know of? (I can look them up, but if you knew off the top of your head).
Of those on my list, only Marigny Brasserie might, but you will have to check on both the reservation availability and the music for that day. Bayou Bar is the best food (and the best music) but they do not take reservations. The sister restaurant in the same hotel, Jack Rose, does take reservations (and the kitchen is the sameyou can order from the Jack Rose menu at Bayou Bar too, if you ask for it). Bacchanal is outdoors and definitely does not take reservationsits more of a wine garden, and the food menu is more snacky vs. full entrees. And unfortunately Buffas, which has the best burger in New Orleans in my opinion, is on the verge of shutting down, so I may have to take it off the list.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Do any of those music venues with good food take reservations that you know of?
In my opinion, youre almost always better off splitting the food and dining options. There are some places where you can combine them, and some places, such as Buffas are decent, but many are not. (Theres one French Quarter restaurant, which I dont want to name, although I think it comes up in this thread, thats wildly popular with tourists and even some locals, that in my opinion combines pretty boring food with pretty boring music.)

Originally Posted by travelmad478
And unfortunately Buffas, which has the best burger in New Orleans in my opinion, is on the verge of shutting down, so I may have to take it off the list.
Buffas has announced that theyre not dead yet! So it may remain an option for the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
In my opinion, you’re almost always better off splitting the food and dining options.
Agreed (I assume you mean splitting food from music). The one exception is Bayou Bar, where the music is superb and the food and cocktails are really quite good. Buffa’s has a great burger, but it’s not like you’re getting a stellar dining all-around experience, that’s for sure. Marigny Brasserie has OK music and OK food but not five-star on either measure, generally.

Buffa’s has announced that they’re not dead yet! So it may remain an option for the foreseeable future.
It’s still on the list until they’re gone…but the handwriting is on the wall, I think. I can’t imagine that the sudden outpouring of love from locals is going to be enough to keep them going for that long…and their GoFundMe is only at $20K of their $75K goal as of now. I have great affection for the place (my band did streaming shows there during COVID and I’ve done one other show there that was super fun, plus eaten a lot of cheeseburgers!); it makes me sad that they are likely to close.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've heard good things about Capulet for music & food, but haven't been yet myself.

Snug Harbor has good food and great music, but in separate rooms (eat first, then listen later).
Jacques Imo's is still good (and they do take reservations for large parties), and right next door is the Maple Leaf, with great music even midweek. Tuesdays are brass band nights.

But it does bring up a question regarding music - what sort of atmosphere would you want? Some places are "listening rooms", including Snug Harbor and the aforementioned Jazz Museum Tuesday shows. Your guests will hear great music, but won't really be able to converse during the 1-2 hour show, which may not be a great choice for a conference. Other spots, like the Maple Leaf, you can have a conversation without annoying too many folks.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Okay, so my company is attending a conference in August and wants to entertain 8-10 folks. Open to anything - lunch, dinner, drinks, activities.
But, of course some restrictions -
If it is a daytime activity - lunch or otherwise, they are limited to a couple hours on a Tuesday. Since it is mid August and these folks are not from the south, outdoor activities during the day is probably a bad idea.
Nighttime is open to any period 7:30pm and beyond.
Since it is a large group, reservations will likely be necessary, so things like drinks at the Carousel Bar at Monteleone is out.
They can rideshare anywhere.
I know all the traditional places - already recommended brunch at Brennan's, tour of Mardi Gras World, etc.

Fun lunch, dinner, drink places or activities not in a guide book?
Thanks!
you may want to check out the Palm Court. I took my family there for NYE pre Covid. Dinner was good & we loved the music.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by swag
Snug Harbor has good food and great music, but in separate rooms (eat first, then listen later).
Agree on the “great music” part but not the “good food” part I left them off my “music clubs with worthwhile food” list for that reason. But yes, it’s a great place to hear music. A bit tough for a group though because you have to race in there when the doors open to get the good seats, and the tables only hold 2-4 people max.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my opinion, youre almost always better off splitting the food and dining options.
Just noticing the typo in my post. Obviously I meant you're almost always better off splitting the food and music options.

Originally Posted by swag
I've heard good things about Capulet for music & food, but haven't been yet myself.
I've been to Capulet several times. It is VERY low key and typically not crowded (and often nearly empty). The menu is limited, but good (i've enjoyed their sandwiches and fries), and I have enjoyed the music (please tip the musicians). This might be a good option for drinks before going out elsewhere (the bartenders are friendly and good), or for a low-key dinner. They also have a happy hour from 4-6pm.

Note that Capulet is a function space on the weekends, so is only open to the public Monday to Thursday. Music is 6:30 to 9:30.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:25 pm

Okay, so my company is attending a conference in August and wants to entertain 8-10 folks. Open to anything - lunch, dinner, drinks, activities.
But, of course some restrictions -
If it is a daytime activity - lunch or otherwise, they are limited to a couple hours on a Tuesday. Since it is mid August and these folks are not from the south, outdoor activities during the day is probably a bad idea.
Nighttime is open to any period 7:30pm and beyond.
Since it is a large group, reservations will likely be necessary, so things like drinks at the Carousel Bar at Monteleone is out.
They can rideshare anywhere.
I know all the traditional places - already recommended brunch at Brennan's, tour of Mardi Gras World, etc.

Fun lunch, dinner, drink places or activities not in a guide book?
Thanks!
I’m going to focus on the above bolded items, especially, the ones that you mentioned a couple of times each. Firstly, mid-August - if everything runs true to form, it’s going to be HOT, DAMN HOT! And, HUMID! I’m not sure how your colleagues will tolerate the heat and humidity at night for any outdoor activities.
Next - being a large group. You’re smart to make reservations in advance. I’ve been in your shoes with planning events for large groups and, even much larger.
I agree with others about keeping the dining and entertainment aspects separate. I don’t think you’ll find a venue that has great food and great music. (As an aside, I’m somewhat amused by this thread’s title about non-Michelin restaurants here. No need to worry. While NOLA has many very good restaurants, none of them are Michelin star quality.) 🙂
For the Tuesday lunch, I’d go with a place that’s been mentioned previously, especially since you only have a couple of hours for it - St. James Cheese on Tchoupitoulas St.

For dinner, it’s a little trickier since we don’t know the demographics of your group. Gen X, Millennials, Gen Z?? How interested are they in good quality food and restaurants? Whether for personal or larger group dining, for me, it’s always been about good quality food and restaurants, in addition to comfort for my guests. That’s true for neighborhood joints or upscale restaurants.
Therefore, let me suggest restaurants that can easily accommodate your large group comfortably and with good food.
Avo, Italian, Magazine St., Uptown, not far from Tipitina’s
La Petite Grocery, Bistro, Magazine St., Uptown, not far from Tipitina’s
Rizzuto’s Ristorante and Chop House, Italian, Fleur de Lis Dr. in Lakeview, not close to any music clubs. However, it’s not a far drive from Downtown, it’s a very nice restaurant with plenty of space to accommodate your group comfortably and has an extensive menu with something for everyone on it. It is the most fully staffed restaurant that I’ve been in recently.

If your group is not larger than 8 people, I’d also suggest Bistro Daisy. Uptown on Magazine St.

For drinks, consider Cure, on Freret St. It opened a few years after Hurricane Katrina and helped lead the transformation of that section of Freret St.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had not been to Addis Nola since they moved from Broad to Bayou Rd. until Friday night. The new location is terrific much more spacious than the old one the food was great, and they absolutely could accommodate a large group. The only issue is whether Ethiopian food is appropriate for your group. It could be a lot of fun.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Based on all ya'll's suggestions, they are separating the music from the food. Two different nights.
Maypops won from the list of suggestions, for two reasons. First, they liked the menu best. But since it will be hot and a larger group, it is a short walking distance from the conference hotel.
Music will be Frenchmen St, specifically Royal Frenchmen Hotel and the New Orleans Jazz Vipers to start(Helps that I know one of the band members!) . The market on Frenchmen and the myriad of music venues helped seal their decision.
Will report back on the venues after the fact.
swag likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 2:41 pm

Now that we have an idea where your hotel is located, it makes sense. Maypop is a good choice. They have a nice, eclectic wine list.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally, the idea was mass transport or multiple ubers, so anywhere would have been fine. But since organizing these folks is like herding cats, they opted for simple.
The Monday night will be ride shares, but not a set time, so no big deal.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to see Jazz Vipers tonight at Royal Frenchmen. Looking forward to dinner tomorrow at Maypop.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going to see Jazz Vipers tonight at Royal Frenchmen. Looking forward to dinner tomorrow at Maypop.
That was on my list had I made it out tonight. Instead I just went for dinner at Liuzza's By The Track (I love this place, especially when it's not JazzFest) and am not home for the night. I hope to make it out tomorrow night to see Ratty Scurvics on the piano during happy hour at BJs, then maybe Alex McMurray at Buffa's (is Alex still in town? I know he has a road trip coming up) or Washboard Chaz at Capulet.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was on my list had I made it out tonight. Instead I just went for dinner at Liuzza's By The Track (I love this place, especially when it's not JazzFest) and am not home for the night. I hope to make it out tomorrow night to see Ratty Scurvics on the piano during happy hour at BJs, then maybe Alex McMurray at Buffa's (is Alex still in town? I know he has a road trip coming up) or Washboard Chaz at Capulet.
I dont know if you have been to Royal Frenchmen to see the Jazz Vipers before, but what a show it was! The dancers who show up are amazing. And what a talented group of musicians. And the cocktails are amazing. The bartender is one of the best Ive seen. The setting is cool. Its why New Orleans is so amazing.
swag likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.