FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   South (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south-454/)
-   -   Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south/1961353-good-not-michelin-restaurant-nola.html)

notsosmart Mar 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA

Due to a fortunate turn of events, I will be in New Orleans for one night next weekend. As I have not visited since before Katrina, I doubt that I could find any of the restaurants that were there twenty years ago, let alone know what is good and new now.

So, for one night, where should I go to eat well without breaking the bank? I don't want fancy, and don't necessarily desire "modern, re-imagine Cajun/Creole cuisine". I want something classic that's good, for not too much $$$.

I'll have time for dinner, then breakfast and lunch the next day, so any and all ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

If it helps, I was a trained chef in another long-ago life, so I know what's good and real, but don't mind eating down-home cooking (prefer it) or visiting dive bars and such.

Many thanks in advance!

Blumie Mar 18, 2019 12:29 am

Dinner: Coquette (Dive bar alternative: Coop’s; not as good as before it was listed in every guide book, but still good for solo dining at the bar. Another alternative for dining solo at the bar: Sylvain.)

Breakfast: Surrey’s (two locations; both are good but I prefer the Lower Garden District location)

Lunch: High Hat Cafe

FLYMSY Mar 18, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by notsosmart (Post 30899152)
Due to a fortunate turn of events, I will be in New Orleans for one night next weekend. As I have not visited since before Katrina, I doubt that I could find any of the restaurants that were there twenty years ago, let alone know what is good and new now.

So, for one night, where should I go to eat well without breaking the bank? I don't want fancy, and don't necessarily desire "modern, re-imagine Cajun/Creole cuisine". I want something classic that's good, for not too much $$$.

I'll have time for dinner, then breakfast and lunch the next day, so any and all ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

If it helps, I was a trained chef in another long-ago life, so I know what's good and real, but don't mind eating down-home cooking (prefer it) or visiting dive bars and such.

Many thanks in advance!

In which part of the city will you be staying? Are you willing to take a cab/Uber?

notsosmart Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am

Thank you, Blumie! :-:

notsosmart Mar 18, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 30899535)

In which part of the city will you be staying? Are you willing to take a cab/Uber?

I will be very near the French Quarter, but in the direction of the Lower 9th. Of course, I am open to go anywhere for good eats!

Given your handle, you probably know: is there anything worth checking out near Harrah’s?

thanks! :)

swag Mar 18, 2019 11:33 am

If you're staying in the lower Quarter, my breakfast suggestion would be Croissant D'or. Have a croissant or two (I love the almond one) and some coffee, and you won't ruin your appetite for lunch.

FLYMSY Mar 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart (Post 30901288)

I will be very near the French Quarter, but in the direction of the Lower 9th. Of course, I am open to go anywhere for good eats!

Given your handle, you probably know: is there anything worth checking out near Harrah’s?

I’m in Zürich at the moment, so I’ll let you Google or Yelp my suggestions.

Both of these are fairly close to Harrah’s. Harrah’s is technically in the CBD and these two places are in the Warehouse District, which is contiguous to the CBD.

St. James Cheese - lunch, on Tchoupitoulas St.
Balise - lunch or dinner
BTW, don’t let anyone try to convince you to go to Central Grocery for a muffuletta. There are much better places for that scattered around the city.

Honestly, for dinner, I’d be in the Uptown area, especially, since you’re a former chef.
DTB, on Oak St.
Bistro Daisy, on Magazine St.
Boucherie, on Jeannette St.

In the Bywater, I’d recommend Red’s Chinese on St. Claude Ave. for the General’s Chicken or the Cheeseburger Fried Rice. Lunch or Dinner. It was recently featured on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. There’s kind of an interesting little story about Red’s that isn’t suitable for FT. I love it!!! :D:D

Let me get my head on my normal time zone and I’ll try to get back to you.

notsosmart Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Ha ha thank you so much FLYMSY (& swag)

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 30901701)

I’m in Zürich at the moment, so I’ll let you Google or Yelp my suggestions.

Both of these are fairly close to Harrah’s. Harrah’s is technically in the CBD and these two places are in the Warehouse District, which is contiguous to the CBD.

St. James Cheese - lunch, on Tchoupitoulas St.
Balise - lunch or dinner
BTW, don’t let anyone try to convince you to go to Central Grocery for a muffuletta. There are much better places for that scattered around the city.

Honestly, for dinner, I’d be in the Uptown area, especially, since you’re a former chef.
DTB, on Oak St.
Bistro Daisy, on Magazine St.
Boucherie, on Jeannette St.

In the Bywater, I’d recommend Red’s Chinese on St. Claude Ave. for the General’s Chicken or the Cheeseburger Fried Rice. Lunch or Dinner. It was recently featured on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. There’s kind of an interesting little story about Red’s that isn’t suitable for FT. I love it!!! :D:D

Let me get my head on my normal time zone and I’ll try to get back to you.

pbiflyer Mar 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart (Post 30901288)

Drago's for chargrilled oysters. It is in the Hilton. Of course, if you find yourself in Metarie, go to the original.

I like Bon Ton cafe for gumbo. Also near Harrah's.

And one of my top dive bars is Vaughn's at the east edge of the Bywater district. No food, but classic dive bar.

FLYMSY Mar 20, 2019 12:57 pm

notsosmart, since you’re only in NOLA for 3 meals, you have more than enough recommendations, and good ones, at that, so I recommend that you research these and make your decisions. All of us could suggest a lot more places, but I think it would just be overkill and bog you down.

Hoyaheel Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 30910068)
All of us could suggest a lot more places, but I think it would just be overkill and bog you down.

On the other hand - my husband's trade show is back in New Orleans in 2021 so I've already started taking notes and I thank you for all the suggestions :-)

s0ssos Mar 22, 2019 9:37 pm

Just spent a few days there. In terms of classier places, went to Cochon and Tujajue. Not impressed.

In terms of more casual places that I found very good (not formal at all), Willie Mae's was pretty good but Fiorella's Original was even better. Not in the central area though.

kale73 Mar 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Whenever I’m in The City I try to make it to Parkway Bakery for lunch. Best po-boys in town IMO. It’s off Bayou St John near City Park.

aww3583 Mar 27, 2019 11:15 am

Upperline is one of our go-to old-school, not too fancy, but not too shabby restaurants.

We tried Neyow last time we were in town, based on review. It was terrible.

Coquette is a good recommendation from a previous poster. Delachaise on St. Charles is a good spot for a quiet meal, too.

FLYMSY Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm

I’ve lived in New Orleans my whole life, eaten a streetcar load of po-boys and, even if my life depended on it, I couldn’t name THE best po-boy shop here. Too many excellent ones to name one of them the best.

Not even barely scratching the surface, you can get some mighty fine po-boys here:

Seither’s
Short Stop
Rivershack Tavern
Parenton’s
Parran’s
Crabby Jack’s
Bear’s
Mahony’s (for the Shrimp Remi po-boy)
Domilese’s
Bevi Seafood
Sammy’s
and, Parkway