Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA's financial woes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Totally irrelevant to this conversation, but I suddenly remembered the glory days when SAA had a conspicuous office right on Oxford Circus! That was before this newfangled interweb thingy when people actually went to buy tickets etc. at an airline’s offices. And having your office located in a highly prestigious location was a form of willy waving that airlines indulged in to impress the punters.

Well, maybe it’s not entirely irrelevant - having a presence still matters, I’m sure.

Sorry. Normal service can now resume...
Indeed, position used to be everything. Now they're in fairly nondescript office parks. In London, they're on the 5th floor of an office block in Hammersmith, while in the US, they're in a random suburban office park.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:36 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Are things pretty stable for people booking tickets in the next two months....no concern of routes being taken away...decent onboard experience for international business? The SAA financial situation always makes us wonder. Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Ericka
Are things pretty stable for people booking tickets in the next two months....no concern of routes being taken away...decent onboard experience for international business? The SAA financial situation always makes us wonder. Thanks.
Depends which routes. SAA mainline is stable, for the time being. As is Mango and Airlink (booked under SA code, flights numbers 2000-2999, and 8000-8999 respectively). SA Express flights, under the SA code (flight numbers 1000 to 1999) are not currently flying and I would be cautious for the time being. They claim to intend to be fully operational soon, but I'd wait until they are before booking.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:50 am

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ericka
As others have said, SAA/Mango/Airlink are stable, but be prepared for possible schedule changes leading up to the flight. My experiences on Airlink within ZA were pretty good. That said, I did two long hauls on SAA in business and I'd say the experience was middle of the road; service wasn't particularly great, seats were just OK (wasn't on new A333 unfortunately) and my IFE experienced intermittent outages. If you have options on other carriers, I'd stick with them for the long haul service. YMMV
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
As others have said, SAA/Mango/Airlink are stable, but be prepared for possible schedule changes leading up to the flight. My experiences on Airlink within ZA were pretty good. That said, I did two long hauls on SAA in business and I'd say the experience was middle of the road; service wasn't particularly great, seats were just OK (wasn't on new A333 unfortunately) and my IFE experienced intermittent outages. If you have options on other carriers, I'd stick with them for the long haul service. YMMV
Good to know. We’re looking for something that will get us home faster than our current *A itinerary. If the RIGHT flight presents itself (award), we’ll consider it.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
As others have said, SAA/Mango/Airlink are stable, but be prepared for possible schedule changes leading up to the flight.
With the exception of the SA Express flights (and SAA's JNB-HKG-JNB), I wouldn't anticipate any further schedule changes in the near future.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BA
SAA Financials

Got flights booked in Jan/Feb with SAA(And Mango in October), but have recently been reading of their financial issues. Not wanting to go hyperbolic on this, but any issues to be concerned about on the financial collapse front and any safety issues?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE
If you track this forum you’ll see that this question comes up regularly. For those of us who fly SAA occasionally, it always seems to be on the brink of disaster, yet it just keeps going. I expect the airline is just too important to South Africa for the government to allow it to collapse.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's a bit like Alitalia. Yes it's in permanent financial distress, and yet thanks to the government, there is almost no chance of it disappearing anytime soon
Cheetah_SA, thijsseh and Yoshi212 like this.

Last edited by ajeleonard; Sep 16, 2019 at 7:09 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA
I suspected as much as I have read these stories a few times in recent years and they are still going. I assume that there is no concern to fly with them too.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:27 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I have a flight booked with them in December...IAD - JNB via ACC. I do however have a back up plan. I am a Platinum Medallion on Delta and have a flight booked from DTW - AMS - JNB. As a PM member I am allowed to cancel my awards flight up to 72 hours before the flight.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I enjoy SAA over Lufthansa, Air France and KLM on the routes I fly, as long as it's not the old A340 planes.

I usually try to book SAA ticketed by a different airline so that if they do go under I am protected by different airline. But I don't think they will ever go under given government support. It would be too disruptive to the economy.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
"The airline is insolvent and, in its current configuration, unlikely to ever generate sufficient cash flow to sustain its operations."

Quote from the Minister of Finance’s Medium Term Budget Statement yesterday. No mention of any plans for SAA though government will honour its R9.2bn debt guarantee.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by evanb
Indeed, South Africa did run a surplus in 2007 and 2008, but it wasn't budgeted and was due to higher than expected tax receipts. You are correct that the deficit has ballooned, mostly due to weaker tax receipts rather than excessive growth in expenditure.

Countries can get into debt traps but I don't think we are there yet, or anywhere close. South Africa's debt to GDP ratio has fluctuated between 27% and 50% since the 1960s. It is currently 46%. What will reduce the debt to GDP ratio is GDP growth, not lower expenditure or higher taxes. Economic growth is always the biggest fixer for fiscal policy.

Edit: two years of surplus in the last 55 years is pretty close to perpetual deficits.
The national debt now tops R3trn and may grow to R4.5trn by 2022/23 – or 71.3% of GDP. It is currently at 61% of GDP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.