Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will this trip be possible on SkyTeam?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2008, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
You would buy a separate 9W11 ticket, duh!
In that case, together with the detour around Oceania, it sounds harder than doing it on ST and only buying the domestic one...
And that's assuming that it's allowed as an overland segment (I obviously don't know OW RTW rules).
Old May 3, 2008, 12:33 pm
Suspended

I guess the easiest way would be to buy one way business class fares for every citypair:

NYC-PTY-EZE, CM803/CM279, $1800
EZE-AKL-CHC-SIN, AR1182/NZ501/SQ298, $4500
SIN-BOM, AI443, $725
BOM-NYC, AI141, $2460

TOTAL: ~ $10K

Note that ANY EZE--SIN flight will take approx. 30 hours. Left or right around the earth.

Last edited by Dieuwer; May 3, 2008 at 12:56 pm
Old May 3, 2008, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by graraps
In that case, together with the detour around Oceania, it sounds harder than doing it on ST and only buying the domestic one...
And that's assuming that it's allowed as an overland segment (I obviously don't know OW RTW rules).
Detour??? Fying EZE - SIN over the South Pacific is shorter than flying from EZE to MEX, LAX, NRT and then to SIN!
Flying via JNB is the shortest option. Next best, via Europe.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I have a fairly difficult trip to make in August, and I am wondering if anyone has experience - particularly on the Buenos Aires to Singapore run:

- Starts off easy: NY/NWK to Buenos Aires for all-day meeting on 21 Aug 08 and meeting close at 14:00 on 22 Aug 08
- Need to be in Singapore for a 09:00 start on 25 Aug 08
- Meeting in Singapore ends on 27 Aug 08 at 17:00
- Need to be Mumbai for 09:00 start on 29 Aug 08 (meeting ends 18:00)
- Fly back to NY/NWK preferred ASAP

Upgrades aren't a concern as I'll fly business class the whole way.

Thank you,
Steve
I found a RTW Skyteam intinerary that might work:

8/19 JFK-ATL-EZE, DL243/DL101
8/22 EZE-CDG-AMS-SIN, AF415/KL1234/KL837
8/27 SIN-BOM, "overland"
8/30 BOM-ICN-JFK, KE656/KE85
Old May 4, 2008, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I found a RTW Skyteam intinerary that might work:

8/19 JFK-ATL-EZE, DL243/DL101
8/22 EZE-CDG-AMS-SIN, AF415/KL1234/KL837
8/27 SIN-BOM, "overland"
8/30 BOM-ICN-JFK, KE656/KE85
You can skip the CDG-AMS segment and just spend the 12 hours in CDG, as noted previously in the posts. But will the rules actually let you ticket into SIN and out of BOM on an east-bound RTW? It seems like that would be considered back-tracking. Plus, the BOM-ICN-JFK ticket would add about 15 hours travel time versus the non-stop on CO or DL.
Old May 4, 2008, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Who said it would be easy? SkyTeam is notoriously bad for RTW including South America and S-E Asia...
Old May 5, 2008, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who said it would be easy? SkyTeam is notoriously bad for RTW including South America and S-E Asia...
Agreed on S. America. Even AR would be a lot better than the current total lack of options. SE Asia coverage is actually quite good nowadays. SW Asia is more problematic!
Old May 5, 2008, 7:47 am
Suspended

Agreed on S. America. Even AR would be a lot better than the current total lack of options. SE Asia coverage is actually quite good nowadays. SW Asia is more problematic!
I guess you refer to KE and CZ? But considering how close S.Korea (KE) and China (CZ) are to Japan (NW), a carrier with a hub in S.E. Asia (MH anyone?) would be more usefull.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess you refer to KE and CZ? But considering how close S.Korea (KE) and China (CZ) are to Japan (NW), a carrier with a hub in S.E. Asia (MH anyone?) would be more usefull.
CZ's main hub isn't in Mongolia or something. If HKG is considered SE Asia, CAN must be too.
That said, I would also welcome MH. However, the gaps are far more obvious in the India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and MLE region, as well as its connections with the MIddle East.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
That can't work as a RTW, however (i.e. it'll cost $$$$$$$$$$ more).
Yes it can because Skyteam count north and south america as one continent for the rtw, and since backtraking is allowed with in the same area this is a valid trip.Here is what i come up with:

NYC-EZE with either DL/CO or CM
EZE-IAH-DFW-ICN-SIN with CO/KE that would get you in SIN on 24/8 at 9.20 pm
For the SIN-BOM i cant get any connection within the given timeframe so i would just buy a seperate ticket.
And for the last part you could just get the nonstop from BOM-NYC with either CO or DL.

Last edited by sh1982; May 7, 2008 at 10:58 am
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Bringing my own thread back from the dead...

Many, many thanks for all the replies. This was very helpful. I just completed the following journey:

EWR-ATL DL847
ATL-EZE DL101
EZE-CDG AF415
CDG-SIN AF256
SIN-BOM SQ422
BOM-JFK DL17
$13K total, all-in (all J fares, except Y on first/shortest leg)

All ST, except the SQ hop (and with CO joining *A, the miles will be useful, eventually).

I enjoyed my 12 hours in Paris.

Some random thoughts on the various flights:

- On DL101, requested only main course, and that it should be delivered as soon as possible (I wanted to sleep). It came at the same time as everyone else's. Not the first time this has happened on Delta. With CO, this request doesn't seem to be a problem.
- First time on AF. Business class was fine. Slept and ate well, although the wine was mediocre. Also, the pilot frequently switched the seatbelt light on/off and, each time, an FA would make a bilingual announcement. I am used to only emergency PA announcements on overnight flights.
- First time on SQ and service was outstanding (not surprised). Awesome hot towels.
- BOM-JFK on DL was excellent. Lie-flat seats were a blessing (10+ hours sleep in total). Food was decent. Flight crew seemed upset to be there, for some reason (stark contrast with SQ). However, I am not a needy passenger, so it wasn't a big deal for me.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by sbm12
You can skip the CDG-AMS segment and just spend the 12 hours in CDG, as noted previously in the posts. But will the rules actually let you ticket into SIN and out of BOM on an east-bound RTW? It seems like that would be considered back-tracking. Plus, the BOM-ICN-JFK ticket would add about 15 hours travel time versus the non-stop on CO or DL.
They are both considered Asia, and backtracking within a Continent is allowed on a PAID RTW. Backtracking is not allowed on an AWARD RTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.