Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW on Skyteam?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by carlosr
Sorry for my ignorance. What exactly is FT to find information?
FT=Flyertalk
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I didn't see it in the 5 pages of this thread so please accept my apology if the following issue has been covered for flights from DPS-ICN on KE when you purchase a round the world ticket.

KE has something called economy plus seats for this route in the front cabins. It will give you seating in either an F or C cabin depending upon the equipment they are using on that day with only a Y service for those seats. If you were to buy either an F or C round the world ticket from any Skyteam partner and you have DPS-ICN as part of your itinerary, they make you sit in the Y cabin. They refuse to give you the economy plus seats that in reality are either in the F or C cabin of the Airbus 300-330. Personally I don't see the logic in this and the supervisor at KE said that the only way to obtain those economy plus seats is to purchase a separate ticket for the DPS-ICN portion of your travel.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
That's odd. I've used KE on RTW tix in Biz and never run into this, but I've also never been to DPS.

I have been on flights that had the F and C class cabin being sold only as C, and they have put me in each of the cabins at different times, but never Y.

I think you might have just run into a difficult employee (I almost said "prick").
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:58 am
Suspended

I am planning an RTW this summer. My flight will be nyc-tlv-mnl-nyc. can someone tell me which type of RTW ticket works best for me? also when it comes to pricing does each airline price it differently or is it all the same? thnks
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:00 pm

Location: NW Platinum, UA UGS, Hertz Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
RTWSKY4 Pricing

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how much an Economy RTWSKY4 (26,000 mi) ticket ex-USA costs? Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: NW
Timing of bookings on NW RTW award ticket?

I have been getting mixed messages from the NW phone agents, so wanted to pose this question to people who have actually had success. I am looking to book two RTW award tickets using my NW miles beginning next April. I don't currently have the 280,000 miles, but hope to have them soon.

For those of you who have successfully booked RTW award tix, how did the mechanics of the booking work out, especially when traveling over a long time period? The phone agent told me that I cannot book my travel until all my flight segments are bookable (i.e. ~330 days before my LAST segment). However, waiting until then means that my FIRST segment will have been available for booking for 4-5 months, and likely will have no economy availability.

Has anyone had any experience booking these award tickets? How did you manage the time gap between booking different segments of your tickets? I was considering booking separate round-trips for the first segments if necessary, but that seems kind of dumb.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Allison
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by adunn
For those of you who have successfully booked RTW award tix, how did the mechanics of the booking work out, especially when traveling over a long time period? The phone agent told me that I cannot book my travel until all my flight segments are bookable (i.e. ~330 days before my LAST segment). However, waiting until then means that my FIRST segment will have been available for booking for 4-5 months, and likely will have no economy availability.
This is a common problem. What I did is just book the first few segments, and a couple of "maybe" ones later on. After a couple of months, I reticketed the later portions. I will probably reticket the later ones *again* next month. It's not easy, but at least as a Plat it doesn't cost me anything more than mailing the tickets in.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 6:33 am

Link to rules in a word document from Air France Korea
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Just did the initial ticketing on an RTW award, in Business from Delta so I thought I'd comment on the experience. Took about 1:45 on the phone with a very pleasant woman searching for flights.

BOS-AKL-"surface" sector-SYD-NRT-KUL-BLR-surface sectors in India-LHR-a bunch of EU surface sectors-AUA-BOS in Business or First the entire way (amazingly didn't get an RJ flight on any US segment!)

Of course the routing could be better (I connect in Seoul 4 times with one forced overnight, and KUL-BLR [1788 miles apart] is KUL-ICN-CDG-BLR [13297 miles]), but I got quite close to my targeted dates with pretty short notice (the initial BOS-LAX-ICN-AKL leaving in 10 days.)

Unfortunately, despite all segments being e-ticketable, it's long enough that it has to be handwritten so I get to make a trip to the airport to ticket this beast. And it still has to go through the rate desk, though the Delta rep did check longitudes where there was a question (turns out Aruba is almost exactly 1 degree east of Boston, giving me a legal stop there!)

All in all though, a very pleasant experience, and much easier than I expected; none of my dates were more than a couple days off from what I requested, and I'm pretty flexible so I don't mind. Best 220k miles I've spent, I'd have to say! (And funny that changing to a first class award for 280k would have done absolutely nothing to any flights; business is definitely the way to go.)

Segments on Delta: 3
Segments on Korean: 7
Segments on Air France: 4
Segments on KLM: 2
Total segments: 16

Actual non-stop miles: 32080
Total booked miles: 51703

Oh yeah, and they told me they can indeed do Aeroflot ticketing now for RTW (and logically other awards as well.)

Last edited by karthik; Apr 29, 2006 at 11:10 pm
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Open Jaw Segments

I know I had a number of changes that had to be made on mine because they we're allowed. I was told no open jaws at all. However, some minor things seem allowed on one Skyteam carrier, but not on others. Just don't count on anything until you have the tickets in your hand.

I recently changed my flights, and it appears to be an e-ticket now, instead of a paper ticket. I'm in Asia now, and it shows up online as e-ticketed. That would be much nicer than having to send the paper tickets in each time.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I recently changed my flights, and it appears to be an e-ticket now, instead of a paper ticket. I'm in Asia now, and it shows up online as e-ticketed. That would be much nicer than having to send the paper tickets in each time.
Delta told me that if it's paper ticketed and handwritten I can't even send in the ticket and have it reissued by mail; I have to physically go to a ticket counter or city ticket office. It makes sense that they can e-ticket you after your remaining segment count drops to a sane level.
Old May 21, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Hallo,

Does anyone know if one of the following routes is allowed, i wanna fly in F and wanna bring in DXB but AF is the only one serving DXB in first, in know in *A Europe and the Middle East are considerd one so backtracking within is allowed.
This in my prefered route: GOT-(CDG)-SIN-(ICN)-KIX-(ICN)-IAD/DCA-LAX-(CDG)-DXB-CDG-GOT the cities between branclets are just for changing planes.If this not possible i would like to the follwoing route GOT-(CDG)-DXB-(CDG)-SIN-(ICN)-KIX-(ICN)-IAD/DCA-LAX-CDG-GOT.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old May 24, 2006, 1:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by rcs85551
What truly sucks on a SkyTeam RTW in Business Class is that you either sit in coach or fork over another USD 100 per segment to be seated in domestic F.
I have bought 2 RTW business : you are right, I have 2 segments in US ( ATL-SFO on Delta and SFO-HNL on Northwest ) that are in Y class, because they have no business class, only First. I have mailed to Delta and Northwest and they both answered that no upgrade will be possible on this kind of ticket ( RTW ) So , where did you find this 100 USD possibility?
I have read that, even if you pay for a First RTW, you have no F seat on CO and NW domestic US flights , only Y . A class is just available on few DL flights.Is it right?
http://agent.airfrance.co.kr/htm/AFl...RTW%20RULE.doc

Last edited by leonleonb; May 24, 2006 at 5:42 am
Old May 28, 2006, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by leonleonb
I have read that, even if you pay for a First RTW, you have no F seat on CO and NW domestic US flights , only Y . A class is just available on few DL flights.Is it right?
If it's a DL-issued ticket, this is correct. Only F on DL metal within the US. Fortunately there was a nice DL BOS-LAX for the first leg of the 5 month RTW Business award I'm currently on... The Business award is absolutely the best value. Is there even a partner DL can book you into F rather than J on other than CO? KE, nope, AF, nope, most others only seem to have J and Y on most flights as well (at least DL/CO/NW/AV)... Maybe KL or AZ? Dunno.

Also note that, as has probably been discussed, you can't fly on most (nearly all?) CO flights in F with a Business RTW ticket (despite them only having two classes of service; DL and others just sell J/Y with similar service to CO's F), but that's probably a non-issue for most international travel since there are a ton of other choices. Apparently there are a few exceptions; I was told I could fly CO in F back from AUA to BOS at the end of my trip, though there was no availability. I'm currently booked on Avianca AUA-BOG-JFK-BOS with horribly long layovers! Still quite a few months for my two waitlists for DL AUA-ATL flights to hopefully clear... (And I'm not looking forward to immigration in the US noting I'd been in both Amsterdam and Colombia in the week prior to my arrival back in the US .)

All in all, though, I'm amazed at how close to my given dates I was able to book everything, and I booked it all one week in advance. And the people at the DL RTW desk in SLC are AMAZING. (Well, almost all of them. I think I talked to maybe one person there who was just "good".)
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by karthik
If it's a DL-issued ticket, this is correct. Only F on DL metal within the US. Fortunately there was a nice DL BOS-LAX for the first leg of the 5 month RTW Business award I'm currently on... The Business award is absolutely the best value. Is there even a partner DL can book you into F rather than J on other than CO? KE, nope, AF, nope, most others only seem to have J and Y on most flights as well (at least DL/CO/NW/AV)... Maybe KL or AZ? Dunno.

Also note that, as has probably been discussed, you can't fly on most (nearly all?) CO flights in F with a Business RTW ticket (despite them only having two classes of service; DL and others just sell J/Y with similar service to CO's F), but that's probably a non-issue for most international travel since there are a ton of other choices. Apparently there are a few exceptions; I was told I could fly CO in F back from AUA to BOS at the end of my trip, though there was no availability. I'm currently booked on Avianca AUA-BOG-JFK-BOS with horribly long layovers! Still quite a few months for my two waitlists for DL AUA-ATL flights to hopefully clear... (And I'm not looking forward to immigration in the US noting I'd been in both Amsterdam and Colombia in the week prior to my arrival back in the US .)

All in all, though, I'm amazed at how close to my given dates I was able to book everything, and I booked it all one week in advance. And the people at the DL RTW desk in SLC are AMAZING. (Well, almost all of them. I think I talked to maybe one person there who was just "good".)
Because of non possibility to book F or P ( on NW ) or F or A ( on DL ) for US domestic flights when you book a Biz ( or First ) Skyteam RTW,
I asked for an award upgrade for US segments and it costs 12500 miles ( in Flying blue program ) but 7500 in NW worldperks.
Too much, for the ratio.
I tried to pay for these upgrades but it is impossible before travelling because I have paid the tickets with Air france...and Air france cannot go through the RTW rules.( booking Y on US domestic flights )
So my last chance is after the beginning of RTW, with Delta and Northwest directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.