Middle East Airlines joining Skyteam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle East Airlines joining Skyteam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
I havent even heard of MEA until now. Does anyone know anything about this airline?

Also dont forget that Aeroflot has been strongly rumored to be joining SkyTeam as I last knew.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I never heard of them either.

SkyTeam is becoming a bizarre alliance...
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I joined FT in 1999 and rediscoverd it in December, 2003. The first post I can find for me after coming back to FT in 2003 is this one, see milepost #3.

I thought I'd celebrate my 5000th FT post by pointing out what is to me a strange posting coincidence.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Yes, it does! Those are parting with SkyTeam is becoming number #1 alliances in the world.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
[QUOTE=Berto]I havent even heard of MEA until now. Does anyone know anything about this airline?

It's been around for 60 years and was the best airline in the Middle East way before the airlines of the Gulf states were even conceived.

It is finally recovering from the 15 year Lebanese civil war. Prior to that it was the largest airline in the region flying through it's Beirut hub from all over The Middle East, Europe, Africa, Asia, and as far away as Brazil.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:13 am

MEA has strong ties to Air France, so their joining doesn't surprise me that much.

I don't know if we'll see any DL codeshares on any of their routes as the political situation between the US and BEY isn't exactly friendly at the moment...
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:43 am
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
MEA is one of the oldest airlines in the Middle East my friends.

They just recently celebrated their 60th anniversary as they were founded in 1945.

Check their website:
http://www.mea.com.lb

Also as others have mentioned, MEA has had an extremely close partnership with Air France since 1998. The two airlines code-share on with each other on CDG-BEY and together provide three daily flights.

Air France flies a daily 777-300ER (recently upgraded from 777-200ER) while MEA flies a daily A321-200 and a daily A330-200 for a total of 709 seats daily between Paris and Beirut. Quite a lot.

So naturally because of the AF/ME partnership, MEA's entrance into SkyTeam associate membership makes sense.

This magazine, Global Traveler USA (an American magazine) recently ranked them as the 4th best airline in the Middle East after Emirates, Qatar Airways, and Etihad Airways:
http://www.globaltravelerusa.com

They are probably one of the only airlines in the world that offers AVOD IFE system on a narrowbody aircraft, specifically the A321-200.

MEA's main competitor is Royal Jordanian, however it is well known that MEA's service is far superior (though Royal Jordanian is making improvements).

Wish the best of luck to MEA and SkyTeam. They will be quite a good addition.

Regards

Last edited by BA; Jan 17, 2006 at 12:46 am
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Cedar Tree Airline.

This could be a very useful addition, although it may put a damper to some of the more convoluted SkyTeam award routings for those criss-crossing the region or starting travel there.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: DL DM (where is my Diamond Tiara?)
Originally Posted by Traveller
I joined FT in 1999 and rediscoverd it in December, 2003. The first post I can find for me after coming back to FT in 2003 is this one, see milepost #3.

I thought I'd celebrate my 5000th FT post by pointing out what is to me a strange posting coincidence.
Congratulations on your 5000th.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:32 am
Suspended

So how is MEA's service and physical product nowadays? Their seats and IFE (if any) are comparable to which current SkyTeam airlines?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 am
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So how is MEA's service and physical product nowadays? Their seats and IFE (if any) are comparable to which current SkyTeam airlines?

Thanks.
Both their A321s and A330s are equipped with PTVs in every seat. Economy class has 6.8" PTVs located behind the front seat while Cedar Class has 10.4" PTVs that are stowed in the seats.

8 TV channels and 12 radio channels.

The A330s have an Audio/Video on Demand System in both classes which allows you to rewind, pause, fast forward, etc.

Because they are equipped with AVOD also, there are games as well, I believe 10 games.

The A321s were recently upgraded to have AVOD in Cedar Class only, but not Economy Class. Economy is still a regular broadcast system.

They couldn't fit the hi-tech Matsu....a 3000 IFE system (which is on their A330s) in the A321, so they had to adopt the Thales 3000 IFE system which at the time was not an AVOD system, however an upgrade was later on offered which allowed MEA to upgrade Cedar Class only to AVOD.

Here's a picture of the Cedar Class in their A321s:
http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=108436

32" seat pitch in Economy Class and 48" seat pitch in Cedar Class.

Laptop power outlets and individual lights in Cedar Class.

Their A321-200s are equipped with 31 Cedar Class seats and 118 Economy Class seats for a total of 149 seats.

Their A330-200s are equipped with 42 Cedar Class seats and 202 Economy Classs seats for a total of 250 seats.

Last August, they opened their newly expanded Cedar Lounge in Beirut, which was ranked as among the best business class lounges in the Middle East.

Here are two pictures:
http://www.mea.com.lb/NR/rdonlyres/5...C_0063copy.gif
http://www.mea.com.lb/NR/rdonlyres/F...6601/0/005.jpg

SkyTeam Elite members will a have access to this lounge once MEA becomes an associate member.

Regards
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I just happened to fly MEA in Y IST-BEY-IST in the last 7 days.

Havas was MEA's handling agent at the IST.

The service on such a short flight 1:20 minutes puts all US carriers to shame. We were offered a light lunch - couple of finger sandwiched, OJ, tea/coffee and some biscuits. I asked to have some red wine that was brought swiftly. Later when I went to use the lavatories I was asked if I wanted to have some more wine!

I have never seen so many passengers buying tax free. The cart went up and down at least five times during the last 30 minutes of the flight.

The return flight from BEY to IST was delayed by 3:15 because of a late incoming aircraft. MEA has only 9 planes so you may encounter delays. There were quite a few angry passengers that were going to miss their connecting flights out of IST because of this.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie

You spend your life on FT! Try getting out more!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:10 pm
Suspended

The reviews here sound good. ^^ Thanks.

Sounds like a rather good addition.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by holtju2
I just happened to fly MEA in Y IST-BEY-IST in the last 7 days.
Now that you mention it, I do remember being told that DL's JFK-IST-JFK flight actually gets a lot of feed from ME's IST-BEY-IST flights. The schedule works perfectly since DL72 arrives from JFK at 10:15 and ME266 leaves at 11:50 for BEY. For the return, ME265 arrives IST 10:30 and DL73 leaves at 11:45 for JFK....a great connection between JFK and BEY - certainly better than going through CDG!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.