Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

SIN Transit hotel question

SIN Transit hotel question

Old Nov 3, 05, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Exclamation SIN Transit hotel question

I'm doing a SIN run tomorrow. Since I've done the midnight jaunt to Boat Quay several times, I'm thinking of staying at the transit hotel this time.

I made a "reservation request" on the website a few days ago but never received the promised email confirmation.

Should I request the room again? Will it come closer to arrival? Could this mean there are no rooms available?
Old Nov 3, 05, 9:22 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by techgirl
I'm doing a SIN run tomorrow. Since I've done the midnight jaunt to Boat Quay several times, I'm thinking of staying at the transit hotel this time.

I made a "reservation request" on the website a few days ago but never received the promised email confirmation.

Should I request the room again? Will it come closer to arrival? Could this mean there are no rooms available?
I suggest you give them a call. The transit hotel is often fully booked many days in advance. I wouldn't take no response to mean that a reservation is waiting for you...
Old Nov 3, 05, 10:44 pm

J,

I stayed there last December. I would call if I were you. Sometimes they are booked up months in advance. The hotel was noisy when I was there due to the renovations, but other than that it appeared to be an okay hotel.

You will not have access to your checked luggage while you are in the transit hotel. So you should take a carry-on with change of clothes and personal items, etc. Your checked luggage will be in the hold area and will then be loaded on your connecting flight the next day.

Have fun!

M8

Originally Posted by techgirl

Old Nov 4, 05, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Thanks for the advice guys. I called and (as noted above) they are fully booked.

No biggie - this is a turn run for me and I'll just head to Boat Quay for some curry prawns instead.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old Nov 4, 05, 6:08 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I put in a request for December. It took them a week to reply - and then they gave me a single instead of a double. I've asked them 2 days ago to change it - still haven't heard.

All in all probably the least efficient operation in Singapore! I suggest you call.
Old Nov 10, 05, 11:04 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Since this thread is open I'd like to ask another question - we're arriving on a flight around 11:30 p.m. local time. Are we allowed to stay at the transit hotel that night and clear Customs and Immigration the next morning?

Thanks,
Fredd
Old Nov 10, 05, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
Since this thread is open I'd like to ask another question - we're arriving on a flight around 11:30 p.m. local time. Are we allowed to stay at the transit hotel that night and clear Customs and Immigration the next morning?

Thanks,
Fredd
In theory yes but why would you want to?

First, transit hotel is usually booked in advance, so make sure you reserve with time to spare.

Second, you can't get luggage till you clear immigration and this then becomes problematic if you have checked luggage.

Last, if security is issue, Singapore is safe 24/7 so I can assure you that from the time you touch down and walk out of plane, you could be at your hotel within 25 minutes...this is no joke. I've landed at 0600 hrs, first one off the plane and in my hotel by 0630, w/ or w/out check luggage.
Old Nov 10, 05, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dtsm
In theory yes but why would you want to?

First, transit hotel is usually booked in advance, so make sure you reserve with time to spare.

Second, you can't get luggage till you clear immigration and this then becomes problematic if you have checked luggage.

Last, if security is issue, Singapore is safe 24/7 so I can assure you that from the time you touch down and walk out of plane, you could be at your hotel within 25 minutes...this is no joke. I've landed at 0600 hrs, first one off the plane and in my hotel by 0630, w/ or w/out check luggage.
Thanks for the info. We'll be flying mid-January with carry-on only and were thinking about catching a few hours of sleep at a cheaper rate and then heading in a leisurely way toward our downtown hotel in the morning, maybe by rapid transit to save a few more bucks.

Our previous time in Singapore (as well as other places) I'm not sure we got our money's worth arriving after midnight at a more elaborate hotel, provided we don't mind the nuisance of moving the next morning.

Your points are worth considering though, and thanks again.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Nov 10, 05, 8:15 pm

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Originally Posted by Fredd
Thanks for the info. We'll be flying mid-January with carry-on only and were thinking about catching a few hours of sleep at a cheaper rate and then heading in a leisurely way toward our downtown hotel in the morning, maybe by rapid transit to save a few more bucks.

Our previous time in Singapore (as well as other places) I'm not sure we got our money's worth arriving after midnight at a more elaborate hotel, provided we don't mind the nuisance of moving the next morning.

Your points are worth considering though, and thanks again.

Cheers,
Fredd
Fredd,

Going to town by public transport will save you more than a few bucks only! IIRC, the trip to the city centre by taxi should cost S$11 +/- (depending on where you stay), airport surcharge depending on when you take it. Weekends are more expensive a $5, else its $3. Beware of the 'peak hour surcharge' of $1 from 0730-0900 and 1630-2000. Morning ERP on the highway to the city costs anything from $0.50-$2.50. CBD surcharge ranges from $0.50 in the early afternoon to $3 at peak hours (morning and evening).

OTOH, the MRt will get you fairly quickly from T2 to the city in about 30min for <$2, bus service 36 from either T1/T2 gets you there in even less than the train ride but its dependent on traffic. Assuming no jams, about 45min to Suntec (add somemore if going to Orchard Road), plus you get to see the the housing estates (some good food if you're adventurous in the Marine Parade/Katong area, which you will definately pass by).

It really depends on where you're going to put up. If you don't mind, I could suggest how to get there in the quickest time/scenary/food etc..
Old Nov 10, 05, 9:19 pm
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
IIRC, the transit hotel is a 6 hour booking. Perfect for your needs.

Check in, sleep, shower, and then head into town for a full day at a nice place in town. Great Idea.

Even if they say it's Booked solid, go to the Transit hotel upon arrival and ask to be put on a waitlist. I've cleared and gotten a room within 30 minutes everytime.
Old Nov 10, 05, 9:35 pm

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
It has been very busy at transit hotel. If you want really chaep hotels you can try Geylang and look for Hotel 81 or any othet chains. Some of the branches are in RED light zone but very clean accomodations.

Couple of backpacker hotels also are near Serangoon road. Let me know if you need any help.
Old Nov 10, 05, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Be aware that you might not be able to have a quiet night's sleep at the transit hotel with some construction works going on in the middle of the night. I was made aware of the construction noise when I booked and when I checked-in last month, but I had no choice since I needed a bed to sleep.
Old Nov 12, 05, 5:00 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mrakant
It has been very busy at transit hotel. If you want really chaep hotels you can try Geylang and look for Hotel 81 or any othet chains. Some of the branches are in RED light zone but very clean accomodations.

Couple of backpacker hotels also are near Serangoon road. Let me know if you need any help.
Having done this myself, I would avoid the cheap hotel experience in Geylang.

I avoid pimps and hookers. And they are clearly present in Geylang.

And I don't care for a hotel bed with a plastic sheet under the bottom sheet. Ick!

OTOH, the transit hotel is perfect for what Fredd inquired about.
Old Nov 12, 05, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by kaysquare
If you don't mind, I could suggest how to get there in the quickest time/scenary/food etc..
Thanks to all for the abundance of views and information. I've just e-mailed a reservation request for the transit hotel for the night we arrive. Yes, kaysquare, I would appreciate any suggestions for a scenic public transit route for the following morning to the Royal Plaza on Scotts. Mrs. Fredd and I will be in no particular hurry and will be traveling with one roll-aboard each.

As well, since we have a 7:15 a.m. flight on our return, I'd be interested in any suggestions at the same time about an airport hotel for our final night. We'll be in Singapore during the Lunar New Year and two years ago around the same time we actually had some problems getting an early-morning cab from our downtown hotel. At the moment I can't recall why (New Year's Day?) but the front desk ended up having to call a cab for us.

Thanks in advance,
Fredd
Old Nov 12, 05, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Having spent $$ going to Singapore... and you're trying to stinch on a few bucks?

MRers sure are a strange bunch!

If you want cheap...

www.hotel1929.com

or

http://www.nsshotel.com/accommodation.php3
(look at the deluxe internet rate!)

Search this Thread