Reload this Page >

SIN Transit hotel question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN Transit hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The only hotel I've found described as "airport" is the Meridien Changi Village, still apparently about a 15-minute ride from the airport. Their airport shuttle's first run is 6:00 a.m.

https://www.lemeridien.com/singapore...n_sg1669.shtml

so we'd be taking about the same cab ride as from the Royal Plaza on Scotts for a 7:15 a.m. departure, and it appears we might just as well leave from there. I am looking forward to trying out the transit hotel on arrival as a place to get a few hours of sleep after 8000 miles BIS, albeit in C.

PS Guy Betsy, speaking for myself only my strategy is to find a decent hotel as close to the airport as possible (with a free shuttle in North America) when arriving or leaving at outlandish hours. For me an 11:50 p.m. arrival from SEA-NRT-SIN qualifies.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
How bad is it?

Originally Posted by mario33
Be aware that you might not be able to have a quiet night's sleep at the transit hotel with some construction works going on in the middle of the night. I was made aware of the construction noise when I booked and when I checked-in last month, but I had no choice since I needed a bed to sleep.
How bad is the construction noise? Anyone stay there recently, i am looking at staying there Jan 9th - but i could also route myself to overnight on the plane instead.

Which would be better? Sleep on the plane, or in the hotel (w/ the noise?)
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:32 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
How bad? Well, the check-in agent would apologize for the noise etc, etc, ... but when I stayed there recently, I did not hear anything. Well perhaps I am very easy in sleeping...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Fredd
Thanks to all for the abundance of views and information. I've just e-mailed a reservation request for the transit hotel for the night we arrive.
As well, since we have a 7:15 a.m. flight on our return, I'd be interested in any suggestions at the same time about an airport hotel for our final night. We'll be in Singapore during the Lunar New Year and two years ago around the same time we actually had some problems getting an early-morning cab from our downtown hotel. At the moment I can't recall why (New Year's Day?) but the front desk ended up having to call a cab for us.

Thanks in advance,
Fredd
Hmmmm. I often take 7AM flights and never had a problem getting a taxi at 5:30 am.

If you are worried, why not make arrangements night before either with hotel or get a call taxi (everyone taxi has the number on the car....i think it's something like 6555-1111???). Why would you want to switch back and forth with hotels....seems like a lot of wasted time and effort.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Even if they say it's Booked solid, go to the Transit hotel upon arrival and ask to be put on a waitlist. I've cleared and gotten a room within 30 minutes everytime.
Also, if the hotel is busy in T1 try T2. There are also designated quiet areas in the airport where you can sleep and then use the transit hotel for a shower.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:50 am
MGL

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Not exactly sure the value of the transit hotel for a SIN MR. Lots to do at the airport for the relatively few hours one is there, showers easily available in the lounges. I'd take a quick trip into the city instead. My $.02.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1P
hiya,

I go through Changi half a dozen times a year for the past few years, always arriving at midnight and leaving in the morning.

(a) T1 and T2 hotels are very busy. You should call in advance and usually they say it's fully booked. But try calling them again several times, as sometimes cancellations do happen.

(b) I've stayed at the hotels, but eventually I realized that Changi is so safe and clean it's really a waste of money. There are plenty of quiet designated "sleeping" areas, complete with recliners to rest in. Even if you cannot score the recliners (they are quite popular), there are a lot of other chairs which are nice, big and comfy. (Only problem is that many of them are facing TVs so they are a bit noisy).

(c) Many spots to take a shower. There are paid lounges you can shower cheaply at, about 3-4 USD per pop. You can also shower at the Transit hotels for about the same rate.

(d) Good places to sleep (other than the sleep areas)

(i) The transit counters : nice big sofas to lie down on (there are a few of them).
(ii) At midnight, the gates areas are rather quiet. The benches are the best airport types : no handles between seats so you can lie down and sleep. Downside are that cleaners drive noisy carts pass you once in a while, and it's quite bright.

(e) Finally, if you are not tired, there are plenty of stuff to do at Changi. One advice though: If you have a laptop, BRING AN ETHERNET cable! You have to pay for your WIFI, but if you have an ethernet cable, you can plug them right in at one of the many socket spots for basically free and fast internet. If you are USA-ian, be sure to bring a power converter socket though since SIN uses the british standard (I am too lazy to look it up sorry!).

If you happen to be in Changi around midnight of 31 Jan, look me up .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.