Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The road to COVID-19 reopen starts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Topcare
I'm sorry, do you know who I am and what I do and who I work for? Yah. Did not think so. I'm not fussed. I can work in a great many places.
Good for you. Good luck.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
This article advocates for a common sense approach to dealing with Covid: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-19-infections

I can only hope that the decision makers will eventually move in this direction.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by JNelson113
This article advocates for a common sense approach to dealing with Covid: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-19-infections

I can only hope that the decision makers will eventually move in this direction.
it is unlikely as the riskiest segment of the population eligible for vaccination(age 70+) has the lowest vaccination rate, though it is improving.

The article is more in-line with Boris Johnson's attitude towards the seniors, which Singapore disagrees with.

yesterday (SG time), another unvaccinated 83-year-old woman died of COVID-19, RIP.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
it is unlikely as the riskiest segment of the population eligible for vaccination(age 70+) has the lowest vaccination rate, though it is improving.

The article is more in-line with Boris Johnson's attitude towards the seniors, which Singapore disagrees with.

yesterday (SG time), another unvaccinated 83-year-old woman died of COVID-19, RIP.
May I ask, why is that? Why is the 70+ segment the least vaccinated, when we know that they are at a 40+ times greater risk of death than the younger populations.

I confess that I don't know Boris Johnson's attitude vs. Singapore's; would you mind elaborating on that also.

Do you know if the 83 year-old woman was vaccinated? Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

May I ask, why is that? Why is the 70+ segment the least vaccinated, when we know that they are at a 40+ times greater risk of death than the younger populations.

I confess that I don't know Boris Johnson's attitude vs. Singapore's; would you mind elaborating on that also.

Do you know if the 83 year-old woman was vaccinated? Thank you!
5. Case 64342, an 83 year-old female Singaporean, has passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection on 24 July 2021. She resided at Bukit Merah View, and was linked to the 121 Bukit Merah View cluster. She developed symptoms on 16 June but did not seek medical attention until she was conveyed to National University Hospital on 18 June. She had not been vaccinated against COVID-19, and had a history of hypertension and hyperlipidaemia. In total, 37 have passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection.
https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...-(24-july-2021)

MoH(Singapore) releases full details about every death. And there are details of segments of population vaccinated.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...-(25-july-2021)

As for Boris Johnson vs Singapore

UK PM Johnson dismissed COVID-19 lockdown as only elderly would die, ex-aide says
https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-...ys-2021-07-19/

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 28, 2021 at 4:47 pm Reason: Font size
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
May I ask, why is that? Why is the 70+ segment the least vaccinated, when we know that they are at a 40+ times greater risk of death than the younger populations.!
There are probably a multitude of reasons for that. The booking process was probably more challenging for the elderly (although they could still call). But now they can walk into vaccination centres without an appointment to get a shot and also can access via mobile vaccination centres and some GPs. I don't know, but I guess also maybe if you're 90 you might have be more willing to accept your ultimate mortality than someone in the 30's or 40's.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:48 pm

Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
One other reason which I've heard from numerous people (mainly referring to their relatives) is that the elderly are believing the rumour that PRC will only accept those vaccinated with a Chinese vaccine so are holding out for that so they can visit.
Now that you can get Sinovac here not sure what the take up in the elderly is with that as it's not officially reported as it's not part of the government programme.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:35 am
Original Poster

It will start by setting up travel corridors with countries or regions that have “managed COVID-19 well”, and where the infection is under control. “So fully vaccinated persons will then be able to travel to these countries or regions without needing to serve the full 14-day stay-home notice in a hotel when they return," Mr Wong said.

Depending on the risk level of the country they visit, the stay-home notice will be replaced with a "rigorous testing regime" or a seven-day isolation period at home.

This will allow vaccinated people to travel more freely, he said. “Those who are not vaccinated can still travel, but will be subject to the prevailing SHN (stay-home notice) requirements.”

“While other countries may have come to terms with a certain level of COVID-19 cases and even deaths, this is not the choice we want to make in Singapore ... We do not want to see large numbers of COVID-19 patients in intensive care, on oxygen supplementation, let alone succumb to the virus.”
“Vaccination is key, especially vaccination of our seniors. If many among our seniors are not vaccinated, we will continue to worry about our hospitalisation and ICU cases, as well as fatalities,” he added.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-wong-15298016

travel to safe countries or regions without SHN or SHN in hotels is totally possible before year-end. The biggest obstacle for us is the unvaccinated seniors.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...pt-2021-07-26/

Very interesting development. I hope Hong Kong will follow suit as well. I'm fully vaccinated and I'm very eager to travel to both SIN and HKG.
JNelson113, LETTERBOY and Zorak like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...pt-2021-07-26/

Very interesting development. I hope Hong Kong will follow suit as well. I'm fully vaccinated and I'm very eager to travel to both SIN and HKG.
Hong Kong has doubt to continue its travel corridor with Singapore. Hard to think Hong Kong will be open soon to fully vaccinated travellers.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 8:45 pm

travel to safe countries or regions without SHN or SHN in hotels is totally possible before year-end.
The problem I'm struggling with is trying to determine which countries/regions will fall into this "safe" category... I'm hoping on Australia and NZ extending their bubble to include Singapore.
While I'm sure the UK will fall into the safe category, it's not somewhere I want to travel to for a holiday, especially in the winter.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
The problem I'm struggling with is trying to determine which countries/regions will fall into this "safe" category... I'm hoping on Australia and NZ extending their bubble to include Singapore.
While I'm sure the UK will fall into the safe category, it's not somewhere I want to travel to for a holiday, especially in the winter.
ANZ targets zero-covid. Singapore has no chance at all.

Recent news claimed that SIA has given up travel bubble between Singapore and Australia.

I hope Japan will open to Singapore next spring.

i feel it’s kind of paradox. Singapore endemic management will not report active case number. Ain’t other countries with similar vaccination rate do the same, stop reporting active case number? How would Singapore know other countries new case number then, since the other countries will not know Singapore number, either.

Last edited by freed0m; Jul 26, 2021 at 9:18 pm
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:21 pm

i feel it’s kind of paradox. Singapore endemic management will not report active case number. Ain’t other countries with similar vaccination rate do the same, stop reporting active case number? How would Singapore know whether other countries new case number then, since the other countries will not know Singapore number, either.
This is the whole aim to live with Covid-19 as an endemic by judging countries safety due to their vaccination percentages.
Singapore I'm sure will not want to be part of the initial experiment and will continue to watch from the wings to see how things are going on in the rest of the world before making the move.
With UK/Europe and US "opening" up they are very good test beds to observe.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
This is the whole aim to live with Covid-19 as an endemic by judging countries safety due to their vaccination percentages.
Singapore I'm sure will not want to be part of the initial experiment and will continue to watch from the wings to see how things are going on in the rest of the world before making the move.
With UK/Europe and US "opening" up they are very good test beds to observe.
how long will UK/Europe and US continue to report daily new case number? It costs to continue to report those numbers, which really isn't endemic management.

I feel that Singapore and other countries reporting such number is probably just to drive more people to vaccinate.

Imagine that Singapore just reports 1 death in one month and less than 20 serious cases in ICU or requiring Oxygen Supplementation.

For example, I don't really care about the dengue reporting today. How many people died or in hospital, or how many clusters?

Last edited by freed0m; Jul 26, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.