Wiki Posts
Search

The road to COVID-19 reopen starts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by freed0m
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-wong-15298016

travel to safe countries or regions without SHN or SHN in hotels is totally possible before year-end. The biggest obstacle for us is the unvaccinated seniors.
Despite the propaganda announcements I'm not convinced this will happen. In the last week we've seen tightening of conditions around travel from Australian, which is understandable given the Sydney outbreak, such that a 14 day SHN (at home or at a dedicated facility) and pre-departure testing now required.

But unlike last year's outbreak in Melbourne (where Victoria had different rules) , there is no differentiation by state this time - it's one size fits all approach. So someone who's been in Western Australia ( which have been known to lockdown after a single case, and change state border rules whilst people are in the air traveling to PER domestically and therefore turn people around on arrival or put them into 14 days quarantine ) , who've had the same number of new community COVID cases in the last 6 months as Singapore has probably had in the last 3-4 hours (14), has the same SHN restrictions as someone coming from the Sydney hotspot. Singapore's pragmatism seems to be fading.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Despite the propaganda announcements I'm not convinced this will happen. In the last week we've seen tightening of conditions around travel from Australian, which is understandable given the Sydney outbreak, such that a 14 day SHN (at home or at a dedicated facility) and pre-departure testing now required.

But unlike last year's outbreak in Melbourne (where Victoria had different rules) , there is no differentiation by state this time - it's one size fits all approach. So someone who's been in Western Australia ( which have been known to lockdown after a single case, and change state border rules whilst people are in the air traveling to PER domestically and therefore turn people around on arrival or put them into 14 days quarantine ) , who've had the same number of new community COVID cases in the last 6 months as Singapore has probably had in the last 3-4 hours (14), has the same SHN restrictions as someone coming from the Sydney hotspot. Singapore's pragmatism seems to be fading.

maybe just maybe, Singapore is fed up with Australia. Now it need be reciprocal.

Personally, I don't like the way Singapore has been open to Australia, but not the other way around for so long.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
From CNA:

SINGAPORE: Travellers from eight countries who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will soon be able to apply to serve their stay-home notice at their place of residence rather than a dedicated facility, the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Friday (Aug 6).

From 11.59pm on Aug 20, fully vaccinated travellers from Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany, Italy, Norway, South Korea, and Switzerland, can do so if they "fulfil certain criteria".

According to the Health Ministry, an individual is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after he or she has received the full regimen of Pfizer-BioNTech/ Comirnaty, Moderna or any vaccine in the World Health Organisation’s Emergency Use Listing. This includes Sinovac-Coronavc, Sinopharm and AstraZeneca's vaccines.

Applications will be considered if the vaccinated traveller has remained in the eight countries in the last consecutive 21 days prior to arriving in Singapore.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...ellers-2096396

I have had a look at the data and it looks like a country will qualify if it has relatively high vaccination rates (i.e. more than 100 doses per 100 population) and their rolling 7 day infection rate is below 50 cases per 100k people. There are of course exceptions but this seems like a good rule of thumb.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:19 am
Original Poster

dine-in allowed for fully vaccinated in groups of up to 5 right after national day.

Woohoo!
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Does anybody knows If I can end the stay-home notice for exit the country?
Let's say I travel from Italy to Singapore on monday, once arrived I'll go to my hotel for the quarantine. If I wanna fly back to italy the day after, tuesday, Can I go to SIN Airport and leave Singapore with no issue?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
From CNA:

I have had a look at the data and it looks like a country will qualify if it has relatively high vaccination rates (i.e. more than 100 doses per 100 population) and their rolling 7 day infection rate is below 50 cases per 100k people. There are of course exceptions but this seems like a good rule of thumb.
not so simple, I guess.

UAE, Qatar satisfies these conditions, but not in the list.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:24 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
From CNA:

My understanding is that now instead of a "dedicated facility/hotel", fully vaccinated people can isolate at home (from these 8 countries), but still have to quarantine for the same period of time (21 days) - is that correct?

This isn't exactly Singapore opening up in any way/shape is it? Because they said in Aug/Sept they would be opening up quarantine-free travel - but even with this, people need to quarantine, correct?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HB7
My understanding is that now instead of a "dedicated facility/hotel", fully vaccinated people can isolate at home (from these 8 countries), but still have to quarantine for the same period of time (21 days) - is that correct?

This isn't exactly Singapore opening up in any way/shape is it? Because they said in Aug/Sept they would be opening up quarantine-free travel - but even with this, people need to quarantine, correct?
It is for Singapore citizens and PRs. Singapore has not opened to these 8 countries.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
It is for Singapore citizens and PRs. Singapore has not opened to these 8 countries.
actual MOH info
https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...vid-resilience

i'm surprised Singapore shifted already. its definitely higher than the 2-3/100k previously mentioned

covid case rates per 100k (rolling 7day avg per ourworldindata)
Australia 1
Austria 5
Brunei 0.1
Canada 2.5
Germany 3
Italy 9.5 <- high? (6.6 per reuters, 7.2 per statnews)
Norway 7
SOuth korea 3
Switzerland 9.7 <- high? (6.7 per reuters 8.5 per statnews)
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...AN~DEU~ITA~IND

priority is singapore citizen/PR first, then workers (pass holders & dependents), then probably business travel first, then tourists

26. As we have reached higher vaccination rates locally, we will progressively review some of our border restrictions to facilitate more travel and introduce vaccination-differentiated border measures for travellers from countries/regions that have shown an ability to control the pandemic and vaccinate large parts of their population.

Resuming Entry Approvals for Vaccinated Work Pass Holders and Their Dependants

27. From 10 August 2021, the Ministry of Manpower will resume entry approvals for work pass holders and their dependants with travel history to higher risk countries/ regions. Eligible work pass holders and their dependants must be fully vaccinated2 before arrival in Singapore. They will also be subjected to the prevailing health protocols in Singapore.

Option for 14-day Stay Home Notice (SHN) at Suitable Place of Residence/ Accommodation of Choice

28. From 20 August 2021, 2359 hrs, all fully vaccinated travellers [2] from Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany, Italy, Norway, the Republic of Korea (ROK), and Switzerland [3] may be able to apply to opt out of dedicated SHN facilities and serve their 14-day SHN at their respective places of residence (e.g. residential address) or other suitable accommodation if they fulfil certain criteria (See Annex B for details).

29. All other travellers from the aforementioned countries/regions must continue to serve the SHN in a dedicated SHN facility. As the list of countries will be updated from time to time depending on the public health risk assessment, all travellers are reminded to check the SafeTravel website for updates to the border measures. They will be subjected to these prevailing border measures upon entry, including stays in dedicated SHN facilities and payment, where applicable.

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 20, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:44 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
At the moment (according to the Economist magazine) Singapore has fully vaccinated 67.5% of people over the age of 12, which is a great achievement, and they appear to be going at a pretty quick rate. At this stage, it seems like they will hit over 80% fully vaxxed in the next 3-4 weeks. They said that when they hit 75% or 80% they would treat the virus as endemic and resume quarantine free travel - but currently there is no sign of this?

Does anyone know if they are actually going to do that and when?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HB7
At the moment (according to the Economist magazine) Singapore has fully vaccinated 67.5% of people over the age of 12, which is a great achievement, and they appear to be going at a pretty quick rate. At this stage, it seems like they will hit over 80% fully vaxxed in the next 3-4 weeks. They said that when they hit 75% or 80% they would treat the virus as endemic and resume quarantine free travel - but currently there is no sign of this?

unlikely this year, definitely next year, at least for some countries.

Singapore has quarantine free travel from China(Mainland, Macau, Taiwan), New Zealand and Brunei for a long while.

Sinagpore has not completely opened domestically so quarantine free travel for vaccinated foreigners will not happen before that. Singapore has to test its domestic resilience. Singapore citizens and PRs will be the first tests of quarantine free travel before opening to international vaccinated travellers, at least Singapore can confirm who is vaccinated with great confidence.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by HB7
They said that when they hit 75% or 80% they would treat the virus as endemic and resume quarantine free travel - but currently there is no sign of this?

https://static.straitstimes.com.sg/s...6_aug_2021.pdf
78% 1-dose now (about +0.2% 1-dose per day though decreasing, so need about 10 days plus 4 weeks to get 80% fully vaccinated? about late September)

75% 1-dose was achieved 28th july, so 4 weeks for 2nd dose = end of august)

graph on page 2 shows vaccination rate (one dose versus full). raw numbers has sinovac, but unclear if the graph contains sinovac already
79,297 individuals went through sinovac, that's like 1.4% of the population

Progress of national vaccination programme
4. As of 5 August 2021, 67% of our population has completed their full regimen/
received two doses of COVID-19 vaccines under the national vaccination programme,

and 78% has received at least one dose.

In total, we have administered a total of
7,897,570 doses of COVID-19 vaccines under the national vaccination programme,
covering 4,344,183 individuals, with 3,677,788 individuals having completed the full
vaccination regimen. In addition, 120,665 doses of Sinovac vaccines have been
administered as of 5 August 2021, covering 79,297 individuals.

People who opt for Sinovac and other COVID-19 vaccines under the World Health Organization's (WHO) emergency use list will be considered as fully vaccinated from next Tuesday (Aug 10), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said on Friday.

This means that those who have taken both doses of the Sinovac, Sinopharm and AstraZeneca vaccines – and two weeks have passed after their second jab – will be eligible for vaccination-differentiated safe management measures such as dining-in at F&B outlets in bigger groups and travel concessions.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been itchy to visit Singapore, one of my favorite places to visit, but US is still not on the list for obvious reasons of high infection rate. However, there are also millions of people have been fully vacinated.

Hope US-Singapore travel will get some considerations in the next round of consideration by the Singapore government.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 10, 2021 at 5:43 am
Old Aug 11, 2021, 5:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Hope US-Singapore travel will get some considerations in the next round of consideration by the Singapore government.
Take a look at infection rates in Canada and Switzerland. Once US rates will be less than that for month-two-three, then you might expect some changes.
rjh and wilsnunn like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 4:42 am
Original Poster

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sing...-macao-2122796

Germany is the first western country to enjoy quarantine-free travel, business or leisure to Singapore from Sept 8th.

No unvaccinated children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.