Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How much do you or your company spend on PPS sector qualification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you or your company spend on PPS sector qualification?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:43 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Savage25
$6425 for 25 sectors first time qualifying, $257 per sector.
$5930 for 26.25 sectors to requalify this year and 12.5 next year (if averaging still works). $153 per sector.
Are these SGD? Or USD?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:20 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Are these SGD? Or USD?
I would feel a lot better if it were SGD
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:00 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Specifically why?

I have just flown Raffles on 5 sectors, and albeit nice, it's not that much better than economy -seriously!
Sorry to hear that your flights in C is not that much better than economy. Well, being PPS has its own benefits, which according to flyUAyounger in another thread is useless some of them. But again, it really depends on the personal objective.
I will not say what specific benefits I had that I valued so much, because, again, it's a very small data, and I don't want that to be a trend, or becoming a "not so special" anymore, i.e. everyone would expect to get the same.
A tiny benefit being PPS, is the double allowance on the check-in bags. How many times I have had to take at least 4 suitcases in travelling in the past. And SQ was so kind with that.
Being PPS, albeit *G, I can use RCC while doing all the travel on UA domestic flights. That should be something useful, for me, anyway.
Anyway, I know my post is not counted as the answer for the topic here. And really, as Kiwi Flyer pointed out, how would you seperate the $$$ values of the tix with mixed airlines involved. And remember, some of us just prefer to fly SQ, thus in one year of qualification, we will not get just 25 PPS sectors just to be qualified, but some of us will have much more than that. And how do you want to quantify that as being the $$$ amount per sectors to chase the PPS qualification. Perhaps in a couple years when I am struggling to qualify for PPS, then I will be able to determine the $$$ amount for the specific tickets that I buy just to get that 25 sectors.
Again, in my real life, I had been exposed to "yours is bigger than mine" game. So, the simple answer for the topic is "A lot, but it's worth it."
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Duplicate post....deleted...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jun 27, 2006 at 10:17 am
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CGK
Sorry to hear that your flights in C is not that much better than economy. Well, being PPS has its own benefits, which according to flyUAyounger in another thread is useless some of them. But again, it really depends on the personal objective.
I will not say what specific benefits I had that I valued so much, because, again, it's a very small data, and I don't want that to be a trend, or becoming a "not so special" anymore, i.e. everyone would expect to get the same.
A tiny benefit being PPS, is the double allowance on the check-in bags. How many times I have had to take at least 4 suitcases in travelling in the past. And SQ was so kind with that.
Being PPS, albeit *G, I can use RCC while doing all the travel on UA domestic flights. That should be something useful, for me, anyway.
Anyway, I know my post is not counted as the answer for the topic here. And really, as Kiwi Flyer pointed out, how would you seperate the $$$ values of the tix with mixed airlines involved. And remember, some of us just prefer to fly SQ, thus in one year of qualification, we will not get just 25 PPS sectors just to be qualified, but some of us will have much more than that. And how do you want to quantify that as being the $$$ amount per sectors to chase the PPS qualification. Perhaps in a couple years when I am struggling to qualify for PPS, then I will be able to determine the $$$ amount for the specific tickets that I buy just to get that 25 sectors.
Again, in my real life, I had been exposed to "yours is bigger than mine" game. So, the simple answer for the topic is "A lot, but it's worth it."
Right, benefits may vary, according to each's opinion, but for me, there is really not much benefit, **especially** after receiving SQ's reply to my questioning them keeping 4 First seats open until AFTER cutoff (45 mins before departure) on last night's SIN-DEL flight, and not upgrading PPS or Solitaire's up to first, to give me room to fly in Raffles!! (I did get the seat in the end, 20 mins before take-off! - Amazing stress....I don't need to beg for this, really!! I stipulated to them I would be very, very happy in Y, as long as they gave me my 2.5 PPS sectors!)

Guess what, they *actually* put it in WRITING to me today, that they would never upgrade anyone! Dude, this is a big

They are taking into consideration my suggestion that if we flew in Y with a paid Raffles fare, we **should** get our PPS sectors....will keep all updated on this...

It is utterly incomprehensible to me why they would not fill up the plane and risk pissing off pax that they could transport on that day's flight, by leaving seats open, and especially rewarding loyal customers with an occasional upgrade!

Time to fly LH in C - at least we were upgraded to F once or twice, when the station manager decided to assist....although I did not appreciate the LH's leading stewardess - but hey, my SQ JFK-FRA + FRA-SIN did not deviate much from that kind of attitude anyway (or rather, lack of the SQ service standard)....

Now back on subject - $$$ amount per sectors: This, in my opinion, is *very* significant - for a suitable comparision...

I have been trying to price these for some time, and have found that a certain F ticket ex-DEL was one of the lowest $ to sector ratio, without the Service Tax...much better than the Great Escapade fare...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jun 27, 2006 at 7:47 pm
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:04 am
CGK

Quick note: Op-op is a rarity on SQ, IMHO. So, for who ever has op-up in mind, should not expect any on SQ. Yes, I heard about CX does op-up often in not a full flight situation. Yes, I've seen it on LH as well. So, don't know what to say. But really, if you had not satisfactory flight JFK-FRA-SIN, I would not make a generalization of th ebig picture that SQ is slipping or bad now. As I posted many times, most of my flights on SQ were great, and my last 13 segments were great overall.

Note: I have no idea why I could not post this for a while. Yeah something wrong with my internet provider here I guess.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:48 am
Suspended

Yes, that is true - I think some of the benefits are useless. But I think it also has to do with other aspects, such as the fact that the quality of the SKL has gone down considerably - there are TOO MANY PPS MEMBERS!!! It's like a bus station!

The lounge access in the US is nice, but I guess I don't really count it as a benefit as I'm a BD and LH *G (in addition to UA 1K - which is useless for domestic lounge access).

Otherwise, I guess PPS status is worth it to many not because of the benefits we receive, but because in order to attain it we didn't have to put up with rude and incompetent service that we get from so many US and some European carriers. It was actually a pleasure to attain this level, and individuals would continue to spend top $ for the quality of service received.

I also have spent a lot on the PPS status - but it was a pleasure attaining it (at least until my few recent conflicts )
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:51 am
Suspended

Guess what, they *actually* put it in WRITING to me today, that they would never upgrade anyone! Dude, this is a big
So did you end up flying in Raffles?

I guess the fact that they won't upgrade someone is why many still fly SQ - you get what you paid for.

On my flight from BKK to SIN, however, there were many who didn't get what they paid for - I was the only revenue passenger in F (with no upgraders), but Y was overbooked at 6 people were upgraded to C. Boarding pass was written by HAND!
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:59 am
CGK

Originally Posted by flyUAyounger
Yes, that is true - I think some of the benefits are useless. But I think it also has to do with other aspects, such as the fact that the quality of the SKL has gone down considerably - there are TOO MANY PPS MEMBERS!!! It's like a bus station!

The lounge access in the US is nice, but I guess I don't really count it as a benefit as I'm a BD and LH *G (in addition to UA 1K - which is useless for domestic lounge access).

Otherwise, I guess PPS status is worth it to many not because of the benefits we receive, but because in order to attain it we didn't have to put up with rude and incompetent service that we get from so many US and some European carriers. It was actually a pleasure to attain this level, and individuals would continue to spend top $ for the quality of service received.

I also have spent a lot on the PPS status - but it was a pleasure attaining it (at least until my few recent conflicts )
I am sorry to say this. But it seems you just had "bad" stuff recently on SQ. And yes, from your post, you said now you are flying so much for the last year or two. Hey, I had been at SKL F at Changi where there were not many people around. So it seems I am not calling SKL as a bus station right now. Yes, there was a few times where it's packed. Anyway, with your LH*G meaning you are LH SEN. SEN lounge at FRA is definitely packed. That's what I called like a bus station.

Too many PPS members? Hmm hope SQ lurker will not decide to reduce the PPS members total by doing something silly. I mean not beneficial to me.

Okay, tell us what is the best for you being PPS? You said about a pleasure attaining it at the end of your post there. No other benefit?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CGK
Okay, tell us what is the best for you being PPS? You said about a pleasure attaining it at the end of your post there. No other benefit?
The extra luggage allowance is a FANTASTIC benefit!

And the stares I get from the FA standing at the door looking at my boarding pass and having to look at it twice because of the PPS sticker, is also rather priceless.

Otherwise.... the whole waitlist clearing thing hasn't really worked for me yet. I've been on waiting lists and NEVER cleared in the end. All my other flights had seats available.

Oh, and one more thing - I like knowing that I have a PPS coordinator who can take care of any problems I may have with my account (especially when it comes to crediting my miles to a different program). Many of the ladies are very nice, and it is good to know that they are there.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:37 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Whether PPS status is worth it or not seems an interminable discussion that has been brought up many times before, for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...8&page=2&pp=16.

In the end, it is definitely worth it for some people (e.g., me), and absolutely worthless for others. Arguing the absolute in either case makes no sense, in my view, since it all depends on the particular person's situation.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: Krisflyer Silver
I think everyone's perception of what is "value" is different, and can be quite difficult to quantify, although one way is to give it a monetary value to it (like what some of the FTers replied earlier).

If cost < benefit "value" of PPS, its worth it, otherwise, its not.

Too many PPS members? I think you can write to SQ and get that fixed PERMANENTLY
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:43 pm

So did you end up flying in Raffles?
Yup, had to wait until 20 mins before the flight departed, then sprint to the gate.... Not worth it...

On my flight from BKK to SIN, however, there were many who didn't get what they paid for - I was the only revenue passenger in F (with no upgraders), but Y was overbooked at 6 people were upgraded to C. Boarding pass was written by HAND!
It obviously can be, and is, being done.

Therefore, I rest my case, and stipulate that SQ's retort to my communication is not quite right...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:51 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Therefore, I rest my case, and stipulate that SQ's retort to my communication is not quite right...
I'm sorry, I'm lost. What is "your case" again? That SQ does actually upgrade people on occasion, while you wish they didn't? Or while you wish they did it all the time? I'm guessing the latter...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by MovieMan
I'm sorry, I'm lost. What is "your case" again? That SQ does actually upgrade people on occasion, while you wish they didn't? Or while you wish they did it all the time? I'm guessing the latter...
I only required a Raffles pax (hopefully PPS or Solitaire) to be upgraded to first, in order to accomodate me in Raffles on a flight from SIN to DEL (waitlisted for a second day, already flown JFK-FRA-SIN, stuck in SIN), and received the below reply from SQ, that they do not upgrade:

"I appreciate your feedback....and your suggestion to upgrade confirmed passengers to a higher class to free up seats for passengers on the waitlist. However, please may I take this opportunity to explain that, as a matter of policy, we do not usually upgrade passengers to a higher class of travel even if there are seats available, out of fairness to passengers who have paid premium fares to travel in the higher classes. This policy also applies to our Priority Passengers as well as our KrisFlyer top tier customers.
I regret your disappointment on this. We would upgrade passengers without payment of the fare difference only if there are compelling reasons, such as an overbooking situation, and our Priority Passengers would get priority to be
upgraded."

(There was an overbooking situation on Raffles, plus I was on a waitlist for J class)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.