Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How much do you or your company spend on PPS sector qualification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you or your company spend on PPS sector qualification?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I only required a Raffles pax (hopefully PPS or Solitaire) to be upgraded to first, in order to accomodate me in Raffles on a flight from SIN to DEL (waitlisted for a second day, already flown JFK-FRA-SIN, stuck in SIN), and received the below reply from SQ, that they do not upgrade:

"I appreciate your feedback....and your suggestion to upgrade confirmed passengers to a higher class to free up seats for passengers on the waitlist. However, please may I take this opportunity to explain that, as a matter of policy, we do not usually upgrade passengers to a higher class of travel even if there are seats available, out of fairness to passengers who have paid premium fares to travel in the higher classes. This policy also applies to our Priority Passengers as well as our KrisFlyer top tier customers.
I regret your disappointment on this. We would upgrade passengers without payment of the fare difference only if there are compelling reasons, such as an overbooking situation, and our Priority Passengers would get priority to be
upgraded."

(There was an overbooking situation on Raffles, plus I was on a waitlist for J class)
I got that, but what is it that you're arguing for again? That you wish SQ would upgrade people regularly as a matter of policy, like some other airlines do? If so, I think you'll find some people disagreeing with that here, including me.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:56 pm

It obviously can be, and is, being done.

Therefore, I rest my case, and stipulate that SQ's retort to my communication is not quite right...
What they said was they didn't upgrade as a matter of policy:
Originally Posted by SQ
However, please may I take this opportunity to explain that, as a matter of policy, we do not usually upgrade passengers to a higher class of travel even if there are seats available, out of fairness to passengers who have paid premium fares to travel in the higher classes. This policy also applies to our Priority Passengers as well as our KrisFlyer top tier customers.
There is no inconsistency.
I only required a Raffles pax (hopefully PPS or Solitaire) to be upgraded to first, in order to accomodate me in Raffles on a flight from SIN to DEL (waitlisted for a second day <snip>)
You only required a deviation from policy so you could be accommodated? Waitlisting isn't that uncommon on SQ flights, which is why PPS membership is so valuable to many FTers.

You knew you were waitlisted and not being PPS, you must have known you'd be behind KrisFlyer elites in clearing the waitlist. Or did you not know from a two-day waitlist that there was a chance you wouldn't be flying in Raffles?

More importantly, however, you ended up flying in Raffles. The process wasn't ideal for you, but my guess is that this doesn't fit the definition of a compelling situation for SQ to break its policy of "no upgrades."

Yowling about this well-known "no upgrades" policy really isn't accomplishing anything at this point other than prevent you from moving on. If you don't consider Raffles "much above Y" and because getting PPS will only make future "no waitlist" experiences less likely (and not impossible), there are far cheaper ways to achieve *G status -- and you won't ever again need to stress out about a near-downgrade from a class not much above Y.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:01 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by MovieMan
I got that, but what is it that you're arguing for again? That you wish SQ would upgrade people regularly as a matter of policy, like some other airlines do? If so, I think you'll find some people disagreeing with that here, including me.
I'm not arguing, but simply stating that a top-level tier SQ passenger (PPS/Solitaire) should be upgraded to first, provided seats are available, to accomodate a Raffles passenger in his class of travel....or do you think that a PPS/Solitaire should *never* be upgraded at all??
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:04 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by jjpb3
What they said was they didn't upgrade as a matter of policy:

There is no inconsistency.

You only required a deviation from policy so you could be accommodated? Waitlisting isn't that uncommon on SQ flights, which is why PPS membership is so valuable to many FTers.

You knew you were waitlisted and not being PPS, you must have known you'd be behind KrisFlyer elites in clearing the waitlist. Or did you not know from a two-day waitlist that there was a chance you wouldn't be flying in Raffles?

More importantly, however, you ended up flying in Raffles. The process wasn't ideal for you, but my guess is that this doesn't fit the definition of a compelling situation for SQ to break its policy of "no upgrades."

Yowling about this well-known "no upgrades" policy really isn't accomplishing anything at this point other than prevent you from moving on. If you don't consider Raffles "much above Y" and because getting PPS will only make future "no waitlist" experiences less likely (and not impossible), there are far cheaper ways to achieve *G status -- and you won't ever again need to stress out about a near-downgrade from a class not much above Y.
I'm not yowling.

I am already *G on TG/UA.

If you were in my position, I am sure you would react in the same way, but I forgot - you may already be a PPS....and I am trying to achieve this...

You are entitled to your opinions and I, to mine....
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:36 am

I am already *G on TG/UA.

If you were in my position, I am sure you would react in the same way, but I forgot - you may already be a PPS....and I am trying to achieve this...
I actually do find your opinions interesting, particularly since I'm having trouble finding how the following are consistent:

(1) you're already *G
(2) you find Raffles overrated
I have just flown Raffles on 5 sectors, and albeit nice, it's not that much better than economy -seriously!
and
(3) PPS means flying more in Raffles.

Strip out the *G benefits of PPS (because you're already *G) and the very very small chance of op-ups -- I believe you also said
Right, benefits may vary, according to each's opinion, but for me, there is really not much benefit, **especially** after receiving SQ's reply to my questioning them keeping 4 First seats open until AFTER cutoff (45 mins before departure) on last night's SIN-DEL flight, and not upgrading PPS or Solitaire's up to first, to give me room to fly in Raffles!! ...

Guess what, they *actually* put it in WRITING to me today, that they would never upgrade anyone! Dude, this is a big
-- you've taken out many of the benefits that other people I know find very valuable.

I guess you intend to fly mainly in First? Or you value SKL access in SIN that much? Or you really like the double baggage allowance?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by jjpb3
I actually do find your opinions interesting, particularly since I'm having trouble finding how the following are consistent:

(1) you're already *G
(2) you find Raffles overrated

and
(3) PPS means flying more in Raffles.

Strip out the *G benefits of PPS (because you're already *G) and the very very small chance of op-ups -- I believe you also said

-- you've taken out many of the benefits that other people I know find very valuable.

I guess you intend to fly mainly in First? Or you value SKL access in SIN that much? Or you really like the double baggage allowance?
I am only evaluating PPS - I guess I would simply use the SKL access when flying in Y....
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:49 am
Suspended

I'm not arguing, but simply stating that a top-level tier SQ passenger (PPS/Solitaire) should be upgraded to first, provided seats are available, to accomodate a Raffles passenger in his class of travel....or do you think that a PPS/Solitaire should *never* be upgraded at all??
A passenger should only be upgraded to First or Business if the class below that is overbooked, and there are confirmed and ticketed passengers with no seats assigned.

Otherwise, I think PPS/Solitaire passengers should *never* be upgraded. It would be nice, but then where do we go from there? Random acts of kindness can turn into a massive addiction and the diminishment of a stellar product.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I did once do some computations to figure out how much I spend per sector.... But the answer depends on how you devide the cost of a ticket involving another airline than SQ.
If I do try to guess what SQ gets out of me, then I spend 120$/sector. If I do not, then I spend 240$/serctor.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
PS: if I discount the price of the Dom I drink, I spend 10$/sector
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
I did once do some computations to figure out how much I spend per sector.... But the answer depends on how you devide the cost of a ticket involving another airline than SQ.
If I do try to guess what SQ gets out of me, then I spend 120$/sector. If I do not, then I spend 240$/serctor.
Thank you Delta flying prof ^ ! We are slowly getting to range of numbers.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyUAyounger
A passenger should only be upgraded to First or Business if the class below that is overbooked, and there are confirmed and ticketed passengers with no seats assigned.

Otherwise, I think PPS/Solitaire passengers should *never* be upgraded. It would be nice, but then where do we go from there? Random acts of kindness can turn into a massive addiction and the diminishment of a stellar product.
Nice - elites should *never* be rewarded...

Then I guess you are of the opinion that one should never be given a car rental upgrade (or a car at all) when vehicles in the particular class reserved are in short supply...

Same with all other possibilities in life...

However, the operational upgrades on SQ do happen, and more frequently than "*never*", but less often than other carriers, so I do not think I am out of order here....

Do you think one should be denied carriage for a week (which would have been my case), when they do have seats on board a higher class, where they can upgrade other passengers with elite status - obviously, you do not...

(*and* I asked SQ whether I could payfor the upgrade into F, just to get on the flight in a PPS-earning category, but they refused, as they couldn't calculate the fare, so the only option was the above)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jun 30, 2006 at 12:25 am
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In before Kiwiflyer cleans up this mess

But on a serious note, I think SuperFlyBoy has been spoiled too much with the American carriers NW, UA, US, DL etc.... with their free upgrade policies. You must understand that some people value PPS more heavily than others. In your case by reading, I am seeing that PPS does not seem to matter much to you. I would love to have PPS, but as I fly on my own dime and my parents pay for me I am already happy enough to fly Y.

I agree with other's that PPS/Solitare/Lifetime member should not be get complimentary upgrades. Why do you think people pay TOP dollar for SQ premium products? The reason is that they find it worth it. If you upgrade people for free it makes the product worth a lot less. In the overbook situation there is no choice. The reason is SQ is successful even when Fuel is $70 a barrel is that they have a strong Premium product people are willing to pay for. Even their Y is amazing with their Wisemen 3000
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:15 am
JPB

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M
SQ has a clear business model which means that they think overall they get more revenue by not offering upgrades except in exceptional circumstances. Other airlines, car rental companies and hotels have different business models in which offering upgrades is an integtral part. The SQ model obviously works well for them as they are a very profitable company and you can see from here that a number of passengers do really appreciate the fact that SQ do not fill their premium cabins with upgrades.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by fumitani
In before Kiwiflyer cleans up this mess

But on a serious note, I think SuperFlyBoy has been spoiled too much with the American carriers NW, UA, US, DL etc.... with their free upgrade policies.
Never been upgraded on the above airlines, without using my own miles for the same, so therefore, I have *not* been spoiled.

I would love to have PPS, but as I fly on my own dime and my parents pay for me I am already happy enough to fly Y.
Basically, I do understand that individuals perceive PPS differently, and I am not countering this - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I also have to bear the expenses of flying, exactly as you do, and therefore, I have the opinion that I have...

Even their Y is amazing with their Wisemen 3000
Agree on this point, and I rest my case, and only will retort to a statement in this forum which perceives me other than what I am.

And, for the record, I *paid* 2x the amount of money that any other carrier would charge for transporting me around the world, taking one day *longer* (one day, *without* considering the one day SQ delay in SIN) than the others, for the experience of Raffles for those legs, as well as achieving PPS...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:40 am
Suspended

Nice - elites should *never* be rewarded...
Elites *are* being awarded... with lounge access, extra weight, Raffles/First Class check-in, priority wait list... upgrades are not a published benefit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.