Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ New updated Travel Waiver Policy (9th Apr 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ New updated Travel Waiver Policy (9th Apr 2020)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2020, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Has anyone had success with a canceled flight, having the miles redeposited and then SQ forcing an open seat for a rebook? I would have left the ticket open (don't know if this would have yielded a different result) but the expiration was 31 March 2021, when I couldn't travel, and now it's extended through June 2021 when I can travel.

I had saver suites on SQ25 and they've shut off availability including waitlist.

Contacting SQ has been like butting my head in to the wall.
they won’t open any seats even for open tickets. You need to find availability in the award. But then there is very high chance that the A380 won’t be returning on SQ26/25 by next June.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
they won’t open any seats even for open tickets. You need to find availability in the award. But then there is very high chance that the A380 won’t be returning on SQ26/25 by next June.
Why wouldn't it return by June 2021? They're taking bookings with that equipment.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: Alaska
Why wouldn't it return by June 2021? They're taking bookings with that equipment.
they are taking bookings for the class, no promise of any equipment.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:41 am
Original Poster

because of demand and cost. A380 cost is very high. If u can’t fill the plane, then it is better to fly a smaller plane.
All equipment are subject to changes.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
because of demand and cost. A380 cost is very high. If u can’t fill the plane, then it is better to fly a smaller plane.
All equipment are subject to changes.
Of course. But if SQ can't fill an A380 out of JFK/FRA on a premium heavy route more than a year from now, we got bigger demand issues.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:56 pm

Hi to all. I suspect the answer to my question below will be “wait and see”, but would appreciate the advice any of you may have.

I purchased Business Lite fares for my family in Jan to travel in Oct, one-way SOF-IST-SIN-BNE. SOF-IST is a SQ codeshare on TK, the rest is SQ. The SQ online booking system could not find SOF as a destination and SQ phone agent rather unhelpfully said just book with an OTA. So I did.

SIN-BNE has now been cancelled and rebooked on another SQ flight 23hr layover in SIN, getting us to BNE on the next day. With everything gone the way it has, I’d like to cancel/reschedule the whole booking for 2021– SQ says bad luck, Lite is non-changeable/refundable, but wait to see if we change our policy. OTA says its up to the carrier.

Have I got a leg to stand on here or am I going to wear the loss if we don’t travel as currently booked?
Old May 10, 2020, 9:33 pm

Has anyone had success with a canceled flight, having the miles redeposited and then SQ forcing an open seat for a rebook? I would have left the ticket open (don't know if this would have yielded a different result) but the expiration was 31 March 2021, when I couldn't travel, and now it's extended through June 2021 when I can travel.

I had saver suites on SQ25 and they've shut off availability including waitlist.

Previous experiences, sq open up saver even when saver is closed/WL to originally cancelled flights (standard available).
Recent experience, i need to find available saver. So not bona fide anymore!

If you have lotsa miles sitting around, then keep the tickets open. Cancellation fee is waived anyway. But again no one knows if A380 would be viable then.
I rather locked my miles in open tickets then let it sit around in my account.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Previous experiences, sq open up saver even when saver is closed/WL to originally cancelled flights (standard available).
Recent experience, i need to find available saver. So not bona fide anymore!

If you have lotsa miles sitting around, then keep the tickets open. Cancellation fee is waived anyway. But again no one knows if A380 would be viable then.
I rather locked my miles in open tickets then let it sit around in my account.
what benefit does locking miles in open tickets provide, may I ask?

is there different treatment?
Old May 11, 2020, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shono
Hi to all. I suspect the answer to my question below will be “wait and see”, but would appreciate the advice any of you may have.

I purchased Business Lite fares for my family in Jan to travel in Oct, one-way SOF-IST-SIN-BNE. SOF-IST is a SQ codeshare on TK, the rest is SQ. The SQ online booking system could not find SOF as a destination and SQ phone agent rather unhelpfully said just book with an OTA. So I did.

SIN-BNE has now been cancelled and rebooked on another SQ flight 23hr layover in SIN, getting us to BNE on the next day. With everything gone the way it has, I’d like to cancel/reschedule the whole booking for 2021– SQ says bad luck, Lite is non-changeable/refundable, but wait to see if we change our policy. OTA says its up to the carrier.

Have I got a leg to stand on here or am I going to wear the loss if we don’t travel as currently booked?
like what you say. Just wait. Right now refund policy is for flight up to June. So there is nothing you can do now except for waiting
Old May 11, 2020, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by freed0m

No special treatment.
I simply don't like to have my miles sitting around. Especially if you have too much due to the cancelled flight(S).
Old May 11, 2020, 6:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by freed0m

Originally Posted by terbangalways
No special treatment.
I simply don't like to have my miles sitting around. Especially if you have too much due to the cancelled flight(S).
Any extension of miles used for the awards?
Old May 13, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Has anyone had success with a canceled flight, having the miles redeposited and then SQ forcing an open seat for a rebook?
Not I. Zero luck with getting either the SIN office or the JPN office to open up saver availability for Suites for rebooking. And then shortly after SQ downgraded the flight to B777-300ER so I just booked J instead (not too keen on non-suites F ... but anyway there was still no saver availability so moot point).
Old May 13, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: SQ
I've 2 F saver award tickets and a ticket for an accompanied infant on lap for SYD-SIN-JFK with a stopover at SIN. We've flown the first sector SYD-SIN and it looks like the SIN-JFK A380 flight won't be flying in August. The miles I've used for this redemption has expired and how will SQ handle this? Will SQ refund me the miles and tax difference between the SYD-JFK and SYD-SIN flights? Or maybe SQ could reissue me a ticket for SIN-JFK with an open ended date?
Old May 16, 2020, 8:04 am

Well, SQ has told me repeatedly to screw off. So no accommodation for rebooking a canceled flight.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:34 pm

not necessarily.... SQ is known for right sizing their equipment use if the demand isn’t as sufficient. I don’t recall specific examples, but do remember over the past decade some US/Asia routes being switched between 744, 380, 359 and 772/W before.

Of course. But if SQ can't fill an A380 out of JFK/FRA on a premium heavy route more than a year from now, we got bigger demand issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.