Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ New updated Travel Waiver Policy (9th Apr 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ New updated Travel Waiver Policy (9th Apr 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
I have requested refund of an April J ticket paid in cash. Reservation was made through OTA, who is claiming SQ will take 3-6 months to process the refund. Sounds absurd. Is that a realistic timeline?
I just finished requesting a refund/miles redeposit for a canceled flight as well and was told it would take 4 months to process. That seems insane to me.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lussac
I have finally managed to get to speak to someone regarding my 4 times cancelled AKL-LHR (returning home to UK). The outcome for me at least is not that good as the only thing on offer for a a part used itinerary is to open-date the the return leg until 30/03/2021 and it must be used by that date. I did say that it is not at all certain that I will be able to visit NZ so soon but he wouldn't budge and said that if I want to use the ticket after that date then I will have to call and re-arrange but there will be re-booking fees and any uplift in fare will also have to be paid, so, it looks to me that in all probability I'm going to have to write it off. Was on the 'phone a considerable time trying to find an alternative route home but none could be found (there was, on the 14th May by Air NZ via LAX but he had a look and said that could not be booked, maybe because it was 4 times the price, also academic now because United have cancelled the connecting LAX-LHR leg!!).
I've had to swallow the loss and buy new tickets on QR for the 4th June as it seems that is the only way home.
The new travel waiver policy for flights booked before 15 March to depart prior to 30 June clearly states:

Partially used tickets
If your ticket has been partially used (i.e. you’ve already flown part of your itinerary), you will receive flight credits for the unused portion of your ticket, but you will not be eligible for any bonus credits. You can also opt for a refund via your original mode of payment.

Why are you treated differently?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Well, I don't know so maybe I'll have to try and call them again given that information. The problem with the refund is that I booked through a travel agent that seems to have "disappeared" so any refund would go to them and I would likely never see it, it also complicates things where SQ's first response is always to tell me to contact my travel agent and I would if I could but that is not possible so I've nowhere else to go. I wouldn't mind travel credits as it would enable us to visit Singapore for our anniversary at some point in the future.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:50 pm

Alternative suggestion. Can you ask whether it is possible for SQ to reroute you? Say “you will make your own way from AKL to XXX” so get SQ to reroute your current ticket XXX-SIN-LHR at some future date, where XXX is somewhere in Asia that you can more easily travel to than AKL.

So for your future trip, you just need to buy / redeem a one way flight LHR-XXX only.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:22 pm

Good point carrotjuice never even thought of that and certainly worth a look. Anything to at least get some value out of what's left.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lussac
Good point carrotjuice never even thought of that and certainly worth a look. Anything to at least get some value out of what's left.
Do report back if you succeed!

Last edited by carrotjuice; Apr 28, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by maestro1981
Travel Waiver Policy has now been extended for tickets with travel on or before 30 June 2020 (previously was 31 May 2020).

More information: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...nary-measures/
Hi,

Says can opt for refund or travel credit.

Just to be clear, I have a NON-refundable J ticket to CPT before June 30.

I can claim a FULL cash refund even though the original restriction is non-refundable AND the flight is still good to go? Or is this only when SQ cancels my flight?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:46 am

I have SQ flights booked 15 May (some tix are award and some are paid) and they are all still saying "Confirmed" in manage my booking. However they are clearly cancelled as per the SQ media releases (all legs on this route are not being flown).
This is causing issues to cancel the award tickets (as system shows them still happening) and I am waiting for a reply on the paid ones, but suspect the same may happen. Thoughts? When does SQ actually cancel the flights in "the system"?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:03 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
I have SQ flights booked 15 May (some tix are award and some are paid) and they are all still saying "Confirmed" in manage my booking. However they are clearly cancelled as per the SQ media releases (all legs on this route are not being flown).
This is causing issues to cancel the award tickets (as system shows them still happening) and I am waiting for a reply on the paid ones, but suspect the same may happen. Thoughts? When does SQ actually cancel the flights in "the system"?
press release is just for indicative schedule, may not be the actual schedule.

it is not worth the effort to cancel a flight first, then later have to reinstate it if required.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
press release is just for indicative schedule, may not be the actual schedule.

it is not worth the effort to cancel a flight first, then later have to reinstate it if required.
I can see nowhere that indicates that it is just indicative? I cannot book those flights if I wanted to now. I cannot see those flights operating given the current climate and the fact we are only two weeks out from my travel.
I will not be travelling so will not want to re-instate.
Perhaps the pertinent questions is how far out are singapore actually cancelling flights? I.e we are two weeks out and not cancelled. How close to the day are they cancelling - given the PDF already indicates that they will not be operating.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:07 pm

I have just received a text from SQ advising me to change my ticket to receive credits, the ticket (AKL-SIN-LHR) was converted to an "open" ticket two weeks ago by SQ which in reality can never be utilised due to forward travel restrictions to NZ.

Edit:
Well I followed the link they sent and it gives me the same old message that as my booking was made by a travel agent to contact them for assistance, yeah if only.....

Last edited by Lussac; Apr 27, 2020 at 11:17 pm
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
Hi All - For those of you who had previously booked via a travel agent, did your your TA inform you that there's a $50 admin fee per person to get the non-refundable tix refunded? My TA said that SQ basically gave 2 options - One is to take the voucher for future travel + $50 additional voucher dollar or two to get a full refund minus the $50 admin fee per person. Has anyone heard this? My TA told me it is because I had purchased a deeply discounted fare and when it is refunded, SQ would do this to still allow the TA to have the commission since when the refund occurs, the original commission to the TA is taken away.
My flights in June will be canceled per SQ. I feel like I am getting dinged by my TA on this. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyHighDude
Hi All - For those of you who had previously booked via a travel agent, did your your TA inform you that there's a $50 admin fee per person to get the non-refundable tix refunded? My TA said that SQ basically gave 2 options - One is to take the voucher for future travel + $50 additional voucher dollar or two to get a full refund minus the $50 admin fee per person. Has anyone heard this? My TA told me it is because I had purchased a deeply discounted fare and when it is refunded, SQ would do this to still allow the TA to have the commission since when the refund occurs, the original commission to the TA is taken away.
My flights in June will be canceled per SQ. I feel like I am getting dinged by my TA on this. Any input is greatly appreciated.
It is not an SQ fee but a TA fee so you should review the TA's T&Cs. The bonus flight credits are per SQ policy:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...measures--faq/
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyHighDude
When you buy from 3rd party TA or OTA (such as Expedia/trip.com etc), any cancellation are subject to their TnC. Usually they would have some admin charge at their end.

Sometime for a piece of mind, better to book direct. But then sometime the fare difference is way too much.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:37 am

Has anyone had success with a canceled flight, having the miles redeposited and then SQ forcing an open seat for a rebook? I would have left the ticket open (don't know if this would have yielded a different result) but the expiration was 31 March 2021, when I couldn't travel, and now it's extended through June 2021 when I can travel.

I had saver suites on SQ25 and they've shut off availability including waitlist.

Contacting SQ has been like butting my head in to the wall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.