Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ/Krisflyer Coronavirus waivers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gkl
I had a bit disappointing experience with SQ:
Booked Premium Eco T PVG-SIN-SYD-SIN-(stopover)-PVG. I flew already the first 3 legs and was supposed to fly to PVG on monday. My flight was cancelled and they offered to rebook me onto another flight to PVG on that day. As I did not want to travel to PVG I asked for a partial refund of the fare (which is refundable - so even no Corona-reason here). They refused as the ticket is already partially used. They said the full fare which I paid (10600 CNY) was already used and there is nothing left to refund. While there might be a technical reason for this, I still feel that I should be entitled to something, because I bought 4 legs and got only 3. SQ does not even operate the flight which I booked, so they have no operating cost, but keep the remaining fare for the last leg. Also, a rebooking to another destination was refused. I tried to settle for a travel voucher (say 2000 CNY), but the supervisor said no. CNY 261 unused taxes is the maximum what I shall get. However the taxes anyway do not belong to SQ when I don't fly.
refunds usually apply for unused tickets only.

for partially used tickets, the refunds is usually very little or none as the fare will be recalculated based on the actual journey used.
(Usually one way pricing is much much higher And pricing for SIN-SYD-SIN is actually almost same price as PVG-SIN-SYD-SIN-PVG).

you should actually request to rebook into a later date or ask for open date for the SIN-PVG.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:57 pm

I cancelled my Taipei ticket free! Travel in late Feb 2020.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=is5rire4

Updated Travel Waiver Policy

Waiver Policy for Customers unable to travel due to Entry or Transit Restrictions

We will waive all cancellation and change fees for customers with tickets issued on or before 5 February 2020 for travel on any Singapore Airlines or SilkAir operated flights from 1 February 2020 to 31 March 2020. The new travel date must commence on or before 31 May 2020.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr
I cancelled my Taipei ticket free! Travel in late Feb 2020.
Funny. Someone who complain about the lousy catering on SQ flights to Taipei have booked a SQ flight To TPE? Never book EVA?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Funny. Someone who complain about the lousy catering on SQ flights to Taipei have booked a SQ flight To TPE? Never book EVA?
I am flying on Business Class, not Economy Class. The catering in Business Class on SQ is better than EVA Air. The Economy Class catering on EVA Air is better than SQ.

I took outbound SQ, return on EVA Air to save on fuel surcharge. Outbound from SIN on EVA Air need to pay $130 fuel surcharge, if return out of TPE pay $15 only. Both flights in the booking cancelled.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:28 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum

for partially used tickets, the refunds is usually very little or none as the fare will be recalculated based on the actual journey used.
(Usually one way pricing is much much higher And pricing for SIN-SYD-SIN is actually almost same price as PVG-SIN-SYD-SIN-PVG).

you should actually request to rebook into a later date or ask for open date for the SIN-PVG.
thanks for your response, I understand the fare recalculation, however it was not my fault that they cancelled the flight. They offer only a rebooking to another Chinese destination and at the moment I have no more plans to go there. So seems that I have bad luck here.

On another note, they downgraded my PE booking HKG-SIN in April from B77W to a B772 which has no PE. When I asked them what kind of compensation they pay for the downgrade to Economy the answer was that they don't. They would offer rebooking me to another flight on that day, however I'm not flexible with timings and need to take the specific B772 flight. Is it just bad luck again? I know that Star Gold means nothing to them, and it is frustrating that they can just do what they want.

I like the airline in the sky, however will consider my experiences here and move to other carriers when there are good alternatives.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by gkl
thanks for your response, I understand the fare recalculation, however it was not my fault that they cancelled the flight. They offer only a rebooking to another Chinese destination and at the moment I have no more plans to go there. So seems that I have bad luck here.

On another note, they downgraded my PE booking HKG-SIN in April from B77W to a B772 which has no PE. When I asked them what kind of compensation they pay for the downgrade to Economy the answer was that they don't. They would offer rebooking me to another flight on that day, however I'm not flexible with timings and need to take the specific B772 flight. Is it just bad luck again? I know that Star Gold means nothing to them, and it is frustrating that they can just do what they want.

I like the airline in the sky, however will consider my experiences here and move to other carriers when there are good alternatives.
i think you might need to call n talk to their supervisor over the PVG flight.

As for the HKG flight, I think you should also talk to their supervisor. But I think they might upgrade you to business class (although it is the 2-2-2 config old business class).
Right now seem like all airlines are facing issue. CX also have lot of complains over cancellation. Even the so call best airline (QR) also having issue with rebooking.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G

So this means that they will not refund anything in a PVG - sin r/t ticket where you have already flown to sin?
That seems unreasonable, especially if the flight was canceled. They should refund the part of the ticket that covers the sin PVG leg. This is as far as I understand what AC offers to do.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MaximusTravelus
Emailed Singapore support regarding SQ2 i had booked SIN-HKG-SFO on 2/18. Requested if they could change to SQ32 (SIN-SFO) the same day. Got a call from support 2 days later and while they couldn't book me on SQ32, they were able to get me on SQ34 the next day in the same class (Business), and said they'd waive any change fees. This was for a KrisFlyer Spontaneous rewards ticket FYI. Booking was updated within 10 minutes, able to pick my seat, and my change flight button is greyed out, only cancellation is possible for that itinerary. Just thought people want to hear the data point.
Hello, did SQ charge the full mileage required? Or was that just a change?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 9:52 pm

I am (was, actually) scheduled to fly to Singapore in 3 weeks for a couple of Asia cruises. I booked Singapore Air (PE) from JFK on one ticket, and Delta to get back from Shanghai (where my cruise was going to end) on a separate ticket,. The cruise itineraries have been eviscerated, losing Bangkok, Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai, and as a result I took Celebrity up on their offer to cancel for a future cruise credit (although I did get a 50% refund on one of the two cruises). My flight home on Delta was cancelled, so that was an easy refund. My hotels were all refundable, so the only thing I was left with was my Singapore Air tickets. I booked thru Chase using UR points for partial payments so I called them. They called SQ who told them that they could not do anything but they should send an email to ask for a waiver of the rebooking fee. The Chase (Expedia) person I spoke to was going to have someone else to take care of that and I never heard anything so I emailed Singapore Air myself (in Singapore). They told me I needed to contact their US office so I did that, and just got this unsatisfying response back. I think someone had posted here earlier that Singapore Air was very "by the books" and that appears to be the case here, since clearly they COULD make an exception, especially given the current situation (which includes quite a few cases in Singapore, from what I've read).

Any suggestions of what to do? The problem with rebooking my flight now is that I would not want to fly until late next February and they're not currently selling tickets past January. So if I have to rebook before the date of my flight, I would need to rebook (and pay a fee) twice. What would happen if I didn't show up for the flight? Would I be able to rebook later on or would the ticket be worthless at that point? I have travel insurance but I'm pretty sure it will not cover me. It's possible that if Celebrity cancels the cruise I could try claiming something for the tickets that would then be useless, but still not likely.

Here is what they wrote:

Further to your email, may we share with you that as per our current guidelines, full refund or waiver of rebooking fees can be accorded to tickets issued on or before 08 February 2020 for flights to/from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau with travel dates until 31 March 2020.

Since your travel does not include the affected areas, we are unable to provide full refund or waiver of the rebooking fees. I understand your concern, however we have to follow the terms and conditions of your ticket for any changes or refund.

For further assistance, please contact your travel agency as we are unable to cancel or amend the tickets issued by a travel agency.

We appreciate your kind understanding on this matter.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Last edited by MisterBill; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:14 am
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:12 am

Called Krisflyer CS,

flying SQ1 and SQ2 SIN-HK-SFO changed to SIN-SFO direct SQ32 J class

All charges waived.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:27 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nick5000
So this means that they will not refund anything in a PVG - sin r/t ticket where you have already flown to sin?
That seems unreasonable, especially if the flight was canceled. They should refund the part of the ticket that covers the sin PVG leg. This is as far as I understand what AC offers to do.
in my case correct. They said the paid fare was already fully used trough the first 3 segments and no refund amount is left for the last segment SIN-PVG even when SQ cancelled the flight and it was not my choice to not fly. Escalation to the supervisor gave the same answer, no refund amount left, we offered you a later flight to PVG, it is your problem when you don't use it.... I will not go to PVG - not that I'm afraid of the virus - but my company will put me on 14 days quarantine which I want to avoid. I gave up on this and have written-off the amount.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:42 pm

I'm in the same boat - SQ have been a pain so far, except the London ticketing line who were great and had total empathy.

I have a cruise from Cape Town back to here in the UK on Cunard Queen Mary 2 who have now said anyone coming from Thailand, HKG or SIN within 14 days will not be permitted to board the ship. I have told SQ this, plus Cunard have cancelled all ports stops at HKG SIN KUL as well and the ship is sailing direct to Australia now

This applies to me as I fly SQ in J BKK-SIN-CPT to join the ship but SQ in Thailand won't budge but the SQ London Office are sympathetic but as my ticket was issued in THB I have to deal with SQ in BKK - what to do???

The SIN virus situation is escalating and the UK man who caught it here has infected 11 others here, and I will not be travelling now at all to the Far East.

VS, BA, Fly Myanmar, and CX, plus the Shangri La Hotel in BKK have all fully refunded me....Come on SQ play the game....
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:09 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by rog747
I'm in the same boat - SQ have been a pain so far, except the London ticketing line who were great and had total empathy.

I have a cruise from Cape Town back to here in the UK on Cunard Queen Mary 2 who have now said anyone coming from Thailand, HKG or SIN within 14 days will not be permitted to board the ship. I have told SQ this, plus Cunard have cancelled all ports stops at HKG SIN KUL as well and the ship is sailing direct to Australia now

This applies to me as I fly SQ in J BKK-SIN-CPT to join the ship but SQ in Thailand won't budge but the SQ London Office are sympathetic but as my ticket was issued in THB I have to deal with SQ in BKK - what to do???

The SIN virus situation is escalating and the UK man who caught it here has infected 11 others here, and I will not be travelling now at all to the Far East.

VS, BA, Fly Myanmar, and CX, plus the Shangri La Hotel in BKK have all fully refunded me....Come on SQ play the game....

What exactly did SQ do wrong in this case?

Does Cape Town stop accepting passengers from Singapore/Thailand?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
What exactly did SQ do wrong in this case?

Does Cape Town stop accepting passengers from Singapore/Thailand?
The shipping line is not permitting anyone boarding coming from SIN HKG or BKK within 14 days - Thus I would like SQ to refund my J class ticket as I cannot do any Far East tours now.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by rog747
The shipping line is not permitting anyone boarding coming from SIN HKG or BKK within 14 days - Thus I would like SQ to refund my J class ticket as I cannot do any Far East tours now.
Isn't the problem the shipping line? The shipping line does not adhere to international advisory. Ask the shipping line to compensate your loss of air fare.

What did SQ do wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.