Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High number of complaints on Singapore Airlines new Premium Economy product

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by TA
The PE seat gives you maybe 25% more recline than regular economy, with other amenities that are not dramatically different. Then it should cost something like 25% more than regular economy. Not 75-100% more.
I'd benchmark the pricing to floor area rather than recline.

Example the A359 cabin. 38" pitch vs 32" pitch and 8-across vs 9-across means that in the same space (roughly speaking), SQ can put 9x6 = 54 Y seats vs 8x5 = 40 PE seats. In order to get the same revenue/floor area, SQ needs to price PE 35% higher than Y. Add in the champagne, better food, better service (?) etc, perhaps 50-60% price premium over Y could be reasonable?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao
I'd benchmark the pricing to floor area rather than recline.

Example the A359 cabin. 38" pitch vs 32" pitch and 8-across vs 9-across means that in the same space (roughly speaking), SQ can put 9x6 = 54 Y seats vs 8x5 = 40 PE seats. In order to get the same revenue/floor area, SQ needs to price PE 35% higher than Y. Add in the champagne, better food, better service (?) etc, perhaps 50-60% price premium over Y could be reasonable?
I think the question is 50% over which economy fare? If fully flexible economy is already 50% more than zero-flex economy, adding 50% on top of it is what makes it relatively poor value.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Well some airlines seem to treat PE like it is in an restaurant, NZ serves the same meals in J/PE just the PE version is more tray bassed than in J. Although they still bring out the main course after the tray etc, and have a couple of crew just for the PE cabin. Therefore you're never short of being offered an drink etc.

For example here is an meal that NZ offers in PE.

Value of an an curtain can be huge, it keeps down the foot traffic into the PE cabin and offers an sense of privacy from Y. If SQ have of installed toilets for PE it would of helped too.
just flown ANZ from London to LA and I totally agree. The food was one of the best meals I had on a plane and they had two separate toilets for the PE cabin. Its a shame they are removing their space seats and replacing it with a typical 2-4-2 PE cabin
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by jjjohn
I did that for all my long haul flight, often can get a F ticket which is cheaper than SQ J.

Can fly Air France's amazing F class product and use their exceptional F lounge in CDG for around 7-8k from Singapore to Europe which is around the same as SQ J at 7k.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I flew SQ PE for the first time a couple of days ago LHR-SIN on the A380 and so I have a mixed response (I've flown SQ Y and C), as I've flown PE regularly on NZ, QF, CX, BA and VS.

Seating - Having a legrest is a positive, because most do not have it (NZ does on its latest product), but the footrest is of minor interest. Seat pitch is fairly average, was only good at the bulkhead (which I was able to use after takeoff as the cabin was only 20% full). Recline was barely adequate, but what I did like was the plentiful power supplies and the way storage had been arranged.

Sharing Y bathrooms is definitely a negative, but SQ shares this with both CX and BA. QF, NZ and VS all have dedicated bathrooms (although the latter varies by aircraft). To be fair, the availability of amenities in the SQ Y bathrooms partly makes up for this.

I did Book the Cook and was glad that I did, because everything else was very "economy". As pointed out, NZ PE catering is very much business-light, QF likewise. CX and VS are more "mid range", clearly better than Y in both, but not up with their business products. BA uses business main meal choices in PE for the first meal, but not the second, so is perhaps aligned with CX/VS in its own way (beverage selection identical to Y though).

The PE amenity kits were almost pointless. I like to have an eyemask, socks and earplugs, but only socks and a toothbrush (which I can get from the Y bathroom anyway) is poor compared to every other airline in PE (I take my own eyemask and plugs anyway, but still).

My conclusion is that SQ PE is not compelling. My most frequent travel is Europe-Australia/NZ (about 5-6 times a year), and this product (plus the shabby KrisFlyer Gold lounge at SIN), means I'd rather go on NZ, QF, CX or even BA depending on the price. It's a shame, because I really like SQ more generally, I prefer it to all of those airlines in C and Y.

Greater seat pitch, slightly greater recline, better quality catering and install showers in the Krisflyer Gold lounge, and I might be convinced otherwise.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
@libertyuk - Does the lack of the curtain not bother you. That plus large takeoff/landing vision panels in the bulkhead to Y that are not closed inflight would put me off paying extra for PE on SQ.

In a bulkhead Y seat you could almost be in PE as you have a full view of the cabin - shame the champagne bottles are put away as the trolley passes the partition...

Also a slight correction, on BA PE has its own toilet on some planes, but not all.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by wyvern
@libertyuk - Does the lack of the curtain not bother you. That plus large takeoff/landing vision panels in the bulkhead to Y that are not closed inflight would put me off paying extra for PE on SQ.

In a bulkhead Y seat you could almost be in PE as you have a full view of the cabin - shame the champagne bottles are put away as the trolley passes the partition...

Also a slight correction, on BA PE has its own toilet on some planes, but not all.
The lack of curtain is a bit slack, but tbh without any PE toilets in front the problem of people coming through didn't occur. The bulkhead panels were closed on my flight after takeoff. I flew NZ PE SIN-AKL and the contrast in catering/drinks service was palpable, as it was a couple of steps removed from business. In short, PE is the only class I would pick NZ over SQ.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:03 pm

Any idea when PE will roll out to SFO-HKG-SIN? I know this is a SQ PE bashing thread.. but I would like to try the product on this route!
Old May 12, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by erics2356
Any idea when PE will roll out to SFO-HKG-SIN? I know this is a SQ PE bashing thread.. but I would like to try the product on this route!
It's been on the route since October...
Old May 24, 2017, 2:49 am

PE it is not available from SFO - HKG. Only from HKG to SIN or the new flight SIN - SFO
Old May 25, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
I'm going to experience the PE on A359(SIN/MXP) and A380(PVG/SIN) of SQ in my next biz trip to Asia. What should I expect from it? Is the Book the cook still available for PE? And what do u recommend for the booked meal? Thanks
Old May 25, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Book the cook is still available out of SIN. I haven't flown PE but when I fly business I am always spoilt for choice. There is a wide verity of choices so I guess it depends on your taste.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Taobear
PE it is not available from SFO - HKG. Only from HKG to SIN or the new flight SIN - SFO
Any news on when it will be available for the SFO - HKG leg?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Beolab
I fully agree. Air New Zealand is truly excellent in Premium Economy. When SIA announced their Premium Economy, I expected they would at least offer a similar or even better experience. But the current product and pricing is underwhelming.
Flown Air NZ on their older space seats before and it was one of the best flights I ever had. Seats were extremely comfortable and food was absolutely delicious and even though its not as elaborate as SQ, I think it beats SQ on taste even when compared to SQ's J meals.

Unfortunately, ANZ removed their old space seats as its taking up too much space and have moved to a PE cabin similar to other airlines. Their pricing was probably around 50-70% more than an economy class ticket. I think in terms of pricing, 100% more for SQ's PE is too much for not very much more space and the same level of service.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
Recently flew Premium Economy again with SIA. They still haven't changed the meal service system. Book the Cook orders get served way ahead of the other Premium Economy & Economy meals, but the accompanying drinks service starts much later, when the regular Premium Economy & Economy meals are served.

When our Book the Meals came, we asked for a glass of wine, but the cabin crew member replied that the drinks trolley would come soon. It did not. So again we finished our Book the Cook meals without any drinks. When you use Book the Cook in Premium Economy, there are 2 options: 1) wait for the drinks and let your meal get cold, or 2) have your meal without drinks. Very disappointing. I can't understand why the still do it this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.