Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

mySQupgrade: Post your bidding experiences here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mySQupgrade: Post your bidding experiences here!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:07 am

something not relevant to this SQupgrade topic, but sharing my few long haul PY experiences (AMS & CDG).
is only worth it if is a marginal difference between economy fare.
anything doubled than eco, i would rather pay for bulkhead or emex seats.

PY
pros: a little/marginal space, BTC, priority bag tags do help (esp arriving at CDG - priority bags go on separate carousel).
cons: cheap nasty champagne, still have to jump over your seat mate to go toilet, calf rest doesn't help at all, have to walk far to access toilet.

conclusion: only go PY if price is marginal, or if you have extra $ to spend...
make sure you BTC.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
Can I check for $220/$225, what is the "strength" of the bid? Is it "Fair" or "Strong"?

I am toying what is the "ideal" amount to bid? I am on Y class ticket from HKG to SIN on Easter and my friend is on PEY class ticket and will be nice if we can end up in the same cabin class.

Thanks!
For $225 it is fair. I've gotten away with Fair 2x. Perhaps the loads on PY was light.

I'm not sure about HKG. $225 could be strong for HKG. I remember seeing something at the check in counter at Changi Airport that if you are willing to pay up an additional amount for Shanghai and Delhi, you can get upgraded to PY. That was end of 2016. Amount was $200 plus IIRC.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by Zilchster
For $225 it is fair. I've gotten away with Fair 2x. Perhaps the loads on PY was light.

I'm not sure about HKG. $225 could be strong for HKG. I remember seeing something at the check in counter at Changi Airport that if you are willing to pay up an additional amount for Shanghai and Delhi, you can get upgraded to PY. That was end of 2016. Amount was $200 plus IIRC.
Thanks for sharing. $225 is "Excellent" for HKG. Max bid allowable is $250. For "Fair", it is at $115.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:33 am

Thanks for sharing. $225 is "Excellent" for HKG. Max bid allowable is $250. For "Fair", it is at $115.
Then depending on the load and how desperate SQ wants the seat to be the sold, $115-$125 would suffice. I won't pay $225 extra for HKG. Max is $125-$150 really.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:33 am

If my bid is accepted, can I turn it down and get a refund? I'm flying with a significant other and if I can't get both of us upgraded or seats together, then I'd rather refuse the upgrade.

This sounds like a long shot, so just throwing it out there if anyone has better knowledge of the process.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by erics2356
If my bid is accepted, can I turn it down and get a refund? I'm flying with a significant other and if I can't get both of us upgraded or seats together, then I'd rather refuse the upgrade.

This sounds like a long shot, so just throwing it out there if anyone has better knowledge of the process.
I do not think that's possible under the T&C:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...ms-conditions/

Upgrade is non-refundable, non-transferrable and non-changeable (i.e. no date/flight/destination changes) unless:

(i) that Flight Segment has been cancelled by Singapore Airlines,

(ii) that Flight Segment is eventually operated by an aircraft without a Premium Economy Class cabin due to an aircraft change,

(iii) there is a change in flight timing where the passenger is unable to accommodate the rescheduled timing,

(iv) the passenger is eventually unable to travel in Premium Economy Class on that Flight Segment because the Premium Economy Class cabin is overbooked or

(v) the passenger misses the flight on that Flight Segment because he/she was on a delayed inbound connecting flight operated by Singapore Airlines
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:05 pm

Then depending on the load and how desperate SQ wants the seat to be the sold, $115-$125 would suffice. I won't pay $225 extra for HKG. Max is $125-$150 really.
Thanks. For my outbound to HKG where I was travelling alone, I was able to get the upgrade at S$120. On-board there was at least 9 seats still empty.

For the return sector on 16 April 2017, it is now 41 hours prior to flight departure, and it is still showing as "Upgrade Pending" and bid amount put in was $150. Online check reveals that there are only 4 premium class seats available. As such, pretty slim chance for me. Probably my travelling partner will go under Premium Econ while I will travel separately in Y class.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:38 am

Thanks. For my outbound to HKG where I was travelling alone, I was able to get the upgrade at S$120. On-board there was at least 9 seats still empty.

For the return sector on 16 April 2017, it is now 41 hours prior to flight departure, and it is still showing as "Upgrade Pending" and bid amount put in was $150. Online check reveals that there are only 4 premium class seats available. As such, pretty slim chance for me. Probably my travelling partner will go under Premium Econ while I will travel separately in Y class.
Did you get HKG-SIN eventually?

Do you think $120 was worth it on such a short flight?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:23 am

Did you get HKG-SIN eventually?

Do you think $120 was worth it on such a short flight?
Nope. My bid of $150 was rejected. There was still a few empty seats (I think around 3 to 4) when doors were closed. My friend had 2 empty seats besides him while I have 2 empty seats in the Y class too.

Having tried the PE during the outbound flight, I do not find much significant difference between PE and Y class in terms of service, food offering and space during the relatively short flight of 3 hours.

But if you like a little more space for your seat, and will not mind forking out S$120, in my personal opinion, it is still worth a try. Anything above $150 will not be that worthwhile.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I had a bid of A$380 for SIN-LHR rejected recently. Came up as 'fair', my original ticket was in H. Maybe in hindsight I would have offered $400 but definitely not any more than that. I'll see how I feel next time I'm invited to bid.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: CX DM
Y to PEY

SIN to HKG Friday 6:30 pm flight. Originally in class M. Minimum bid HK$500, and I bid HK$700 to get to the bottom of "fair", and based on the assumption this would be a full flight. It was accepted.

If it's still not full in PEY this time, I will plan to bid much less next time.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Random Upgrade

SQ 051 IAH-SIN Y—>PY

My parents and I are on 3 separate PNRs on IAH-SIN-MNL.

I was the first to put a 400USD bid for IAH-MAN-SIN at about 2months before departure, while my parents put 300USD each about 3 weeks ago.

At the 50hr mark before departure, they accepted my mother’s 300USD bid and declined my 400USD with at least 2 open seats in PY just for IAH-SIN.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by AznMadSci

SQ 051 IAH-SIN Y—>PY

My parents and I are on 3 separate PNRs on IAH-SIN-MNL.

I was the first to put a 400USD bid for IAH-MAN-SIN at about 2months before departure, while my parents put 300USD each about 3 weeks ago.

At the 50hr mark before departure, they accepted my mother’s 300USD bid and declined my 400USD with at least 2 open seats in PY just for IAH-SIN.
Surprising. Are you all at the same loyalty level with SQ, does one of you fly them more often? Did you have the exact same booking class / same price paid?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I received an invitation to bid for upgrade from Y to Prem Y but I will not be bidding and here’s why
1 I paid £980 for 4 return y class tickets MAN-IAH a specials promotion K class fare leaving MAN Friday 16th Feb and returning from IAH Sat 24th (2 adults 1 CHD aged 13 and 1 aged 4). This fare earns no miles and is about a third of what I would normally pay for a Y class fare to Texas.

2. My minimum bid is £460 outbound and £390 inbound so why would I bid £850 per person to upgrade a ticket that was on offer around £800 pp RTN in PE when I purchased the original Y fare.

I accept that I have got a real bargain basement fare bucket and had I paid around £2800/2900 for my 4 tickets then another £1100 to upgrade both segments might have been worth it but come on SQ who is going to bid 200% more that what they originally paid to U/G to Premium Y??Hope these prices are useful to some on here(prob not!!)

Actually nearer 400%..my poor maths!!

Ellice likes this.

Last edited by MARTINSWIN; Feb 9, 2018 at 1:47 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Y to PY.

SQ does not do bid for upgrades from PY to J.
This is what I was trying to find out. Is there any way to upgrade from premium economy to business class, by bidding or otherwise? I'm looking at the MAN-IAH route...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.