Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not as Great as the Hype

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I travel frequently on SQ in Y. I only do so as it is a convenient schedule.
I am stunned that someone who is hardened by the terrible Y product of AC isn't mesmerised for weeks after having flown on SQ ... that's like being upgrade from a Gulag to a suite with waterbed, Sling, and full Pasha service.
The main thing I like is most of the flights are half full which gives me room to stretch..
There is no word compatible with FT posting standards that can properly describe that statement. But don't bring that stuff you are smoking into Singapore .. that could mean trouble.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Ive had 2 round trips on AC, one economy one business. I was pleasantly surprised with both. Now if you said Air France or KLM then I would agree.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Ive had 2 round trips on AC, one economy one business. I was pleasantly surprised with both. Now if you said Air France or KLM then I would agree.
How could the AC Y seat be 'pleasant' ???

With one more column than SQ and less pitch and less feed and less drinks?

There isn't a single point - other than luggage allowance and lounges - where AC matches SQ in Y (not talking about C).
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I don't have a lot of sample points regarding AC Just one retun trip ICN - YYZ. I don't tend to recline my seats and though it was 2 years ago I was happy with leg room and service was satisfactory. I had nothing to complain about and didn't have too many other choices for the trip so wasn't getting uptight about it.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Like a 'happy' but harmless elite (brought to that stage by an ISM who greeted the lower elite birthday girl on a long flight where she and +1 were upgraded to F, with a cake, bubbly, wishes and a 'Let's get him drunk') enquiring if there was any possibility of getting on a connection scheduled to depart 10mins after the scheduled landing time incase we landed early.

On CX, I get a super apologetic crew (a serving of mollifying Macallan 17 in hand), handing over the ACARS message denying the request since we'd land just at the scheduled time.

On SQ, I wouldn't even bother asking.
Hey, even if there was the time, and even if the ticket allowed, the change would require a process similar to one outlined above and take a few hours.

Guess where my S$s go.

Didn't think of that but you're right, one stops asking after having bashed one's head against the brick wall of SQ's rules a few times.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Whilst I agree with regarding offices etc .... (a SIN based - female - colleague who is a native of HKG once remarked, rather disparagingly that the reason offices etc are so cold in SIN, is so people can where winter fashions
That was true some 10 years ago. Now with the "25 degree" initiative (Celsius that is) .. most offices are unpleasantly warm. I haven't been able to wear a long sleeve shirt in a long time. And so many of my colleagues have switched to shorts and sandals at all time. Not a pretty sight.
I actually find SQ is often too hot. Like to have a bit of cool air so I'm not sweating all over the seats and I can actually use the blanket/quilt.
That. Sure, LH is even warmer .. cooler gives you more control over your body heat as you cannot wear a fridge.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
SQ is warm. And when flying F, I request for lowering of cabin temperature

I believe generally ppl from cool climates prefer warmth and the opposite is true.

I can't stand warm and humid and I have taken feb holiday in Iceland. And my own bedroom is set at 18 degrees.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze
..I can't stand warm and humid..
My condolences.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Never fully liked SQ J product. Feels weird sitting on it. Sleeping on the seat also feels weird; not sure why I think the mattress feels too soft. I also don't like the general decor on SQ. That's personal preference of course. Service of course is excellent and food great too. Also lots of pretty FAs.

But they are of course better than a lot of other airlines, just I don't feel they are the best like a lot of people like to say that it is. Personally I prefer the new CX and NH staggered J seats. For me I like the decor on those two better, with just as good service and food.

I guess it's mostly personal preference, but I wasn't particularly impressed about SQ J product the first time, but of course if it's the best choice available I would take it.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:30 am

Do find office temperature in Singapore is low, often below 20 degree Celsius.

Personally, don't like SQ J seat as well. It is very wide but diagonal sleeping position is not very good.

Today, there are many airlines with better/on par hardware than SQ in J.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
..I guess it's mostly personal preference, but I wasn't particularly impressed about SQ J product the first time, but of course if it's the best choice available I would take it.
What would a better choice be?
Originally Posted by jjjohn
..Today, there are many airlines with better/on par hardware than SQ in J.
Such as?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by weero

Such as?
CX, NH, LX, JL and new AF.....
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by weero

Such as?
CX and NH.

Both I feel are better. I've not taken other airlines in J regularly except for CA to compare.

I mean it doesn't help that I'm five hours from SIN either.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: CX DM
Personally, don't like SQ J seat as well. It is very wide but diagonal sleeping position is not very good.
I too dislike the diagonal sleeping position. The cut-out for the footwell of the seat behind intrudes into one's sleeping space, and I invariably get woken up by bumping into it.

However what really is bad is that the seat has to be flipped over into a bed. So it isn't possible to lounge comfortably and watch TV. And using pillows in flatbed mode instead result in an aching neck after a couple of hours.

The seat looks fabulous, but functions poorly compared with the CX J seat.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:55 am

CX, NH, LX, JL and new AF.....
Interesting. I don't fly AF, so I cannot comment.

But on CX and NH, I had only mediocre hardware so far .. but of course that isn't proper sampling.

I like LX pilots .. but IFE and drinks are not match for SQ. I like the LX seat but I like the SQ one better.
Originally Posted by alphaod
CX and NH.

Both I feel are better. I've not taken other airlines in J regularly except for CA to compare..
On all three, I did not experience great Biz seats ... but then this is likely route dependent. I myself don't like CX anymore but I can understand that some people can prefer it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.