Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not as Great as the Hype

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Try that in a couple of years if flying anywhere else other than GRU, HKG or LHR....
I have seen full F cabins on LAXNRT many times...
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have seen full F cabins on LAXNRT many times...
You do know, however, that unless they change their 77W deployment, NRT and all other non-77W stations will lose F altogether once the 772 gets reconfigured, right?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Am I the only one who does not like that?

I have been on 14+ hours flight in which I had the smell of food and tickling of glasses and silverware disturb my sleep for pretty much the entire flight.

Dine on demand for 42 J passangers is often chaotic and disorganized IMO.

I like QR, but this is one of the grips I hold agains them.

For me, its the complete opposite.

Dine on demand allows me to pretty much rest up according to the schedule I want. Say if I run HKG-DOH-FRA, I'd set my watch at FRA time the moment I leave HKG and schedule my dine on demand requests so that my rest & meal times are aligned with the final destination clock.

I agree this does create extra CC traffic in the cabin throughout the flight but I think this is less disturbing than turning the whole cabin light on and feeding you at 4am, because they got to give you a meal and "its 2 hours to landing time". I seem to deal fine with the extra cabin noise with my Bose + eyeshades and usually sleep very well on QR flights.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: KF PPS, MM FT
No amenity kit = no good...seriously, people need to get over the fact that some airlines don't offer amenity kits. This is no big deal. I have a huge collection of kits from different airlines at home, waiting to be thrown away. What's the use for these things anyway? If I fly SQ and want a toothbrush, they are on the toilet where they are supposed to be. This post is utter BS...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by Loalq
No amenity kit = no good...seriously, people need to get over the fact that some airlines don't offer amenity kits. This is no big deal. I have a huge collection of kits from different airlines at home, waiting to be thrown away. What's the use for these things anyway? If I fly SQ and want a toothbrush, they are on the toilet where they are supposed to be. This post is utter BS...
For me, 80% weight is placed on the hardware comfort. 15% on food. The other things are just bonus and that includes the service.

I just need a comfortable space. And I know SQ's product has mixed reviews but it is perfect for me. I have no qualms at all about its extra width, its hardness, or its flipping mechanism. I sleep well on it.

I am ok with AC's herringbone seats. That's my next favourite design.

And next is the reverse herringbone seats like CX, BR, etc. Better privacy i know, but more claustrophobic.

And then the conventional 2-2-2 like AI, LH, etc

And lastly all the different permutations of ridiculous stagger layouts which i believe includes some of AC's new aircrafts. These are all pseudo-J.

For dining on demand, i thought SQ's configuration suits it quite well. I would be frustrated on a 2-2-2 layout if my seat mate decides to eat at some odd hour while I am sleeping.

Last edited by SQueeze; Dec 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:38 am

Some people do use them you know :P

I think it also depends on the quality of the product that's inside that determines whether you keep them or not.

For instance, I actually use Acqua Di Gio as my preferred choice of cologne and a particular airline gives that exact same cologne in a travel size bottle.

I think this is absolutely fantastic because otherwise I'd end up having to travel with a 75mL bottle, which can quickly add up in weight when I have my hair wax & spray + laptop in my carry on.

These travel size bottles can be really handy due to their portability and its fairly difficult to get them in these sizes otherwise (you can buy those samplers but they usually come with other junk you don't want).

On the flipside, another airline I frequent on gives some amenity kit in some tube packs - these go straight in the bin as I find them useless...

I wrote a bit much here but the main point was that if its a quality amenity kit, some people can find them very very handy.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I travel frequently on SQ in Y. I only do so as it is a convenient schedule. The main thing I like is most of the flights are half full which gives me room to stretch. Walking through J the product is average. The lounges are average, EK lounges a far superior. The frequent flyer program is one of the worst out there. Op ups are virtually non existent. I have had occasion to fly AC J and found it good, I have flown Emirates J and love it, I have flown Air China J and thought it very average. The reality is Singapore J is nothing special in hardware and lots of the ancilliaries are only average for what is a premium priced product.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Just curious ...why you take it home if you think it is all BS. Leave it on the plane or give it back to the FA
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by mitwg
I wrote a bit much here but the main point was that if its a quality amenity kit, some people can find them very very handy.
I agree with you quality does count.

But I am also curious, how many pieces of these quality kits (even the highly soughted Rimowa kits from TG / LH if we cannot sell them in ebay) do we really need?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Walking through J the product is average .....I have had occasion to fly AC J and found it good, I have flown Emirates J and love it .... The reality is Singapore J is nothing special in hardware

I am speechless , stunned ....... ��

Full width 1-2-1 layout is average, and 2-3-2 layout is to be loved. 4 seats across vs 7 across. That's almost 100% different!

And nope, I don't consider stagger layouts as 1-2-1 / 4-across either. Those are pseudo-J with 8 seats across and every other middle seat taken out for a table, no?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze
I am speechless , stunned ....... ��

Full width 1-2-1 layout is average, and 2-3-2 layout is to be loved. 4 seats across vs 7 across. That's almost 100% different!

And nope, I don't consider stagger layouts as 1-2-1 / 4-across either. Those are pseudo-J with 8 seats across and every other middle seat taken out for a table, no?
See there you go, whats the advantage or less seats if they aren't that comfortable? Even on long flights I rarely sleep so IFE is more important for me than whether I have a neighbor or not. I feel happier that it is more affordable and Im comfortable. In fact I would be happy in Air Asia business for a slight premium on SQ Y if they had a convenient schedule for me.

You guys are in love with a fantasy rather than the reality.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by anaidross
I agree with you quality does count.
I dont agree. The contains of SQs amenity kit in F for example are of high quality, but they are still pretty useless (out of 100 male passengers, how many are using a handcreme?).
You may like the fragance or you dont like it. There is nothing really useable in the kit, so i rather not having one.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:23 pm

See there you go, whats the advantage or less seats if they aren't that comfortable?.
Walking through J the product is average.
Magic walk
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by SQ325
Magic walk
My last flight I had 4 seats to myself in SQ Y on an A380 so apart from a downgraded meal service I probably had it better than business. The reality is the SQ business seats aren't the best out there so what is the premium for? Serving a meal and a couple of drinks? IFE? Lounges? FF? Im more than happy to save some bucks and to not have someone come an greet me by name. As the op said SQ J product is little different to Air Canada and he is correct. Each person has a different take on what they need to be satisfied on a trip and I certainly don't see anything in the SQ J cabin making me want to part with a hefty premium to sit there when in my last 20 trips in Y I have had 19 without anyone sitting next to me and at least 5 with a whole row to myself.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
in my last 20 trips in Y I have had 19 without anyone sitting next to me and at least 5 with a whole row to myself.
Seriously you must be very lucky indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.