Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not as Great as the Hype

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Had my first experience on Suites over Christmas. It was ... okay - probably because of the overdose of TRs I've seen and the mounting expectations.

Pre-take off drink was not served from a tray of pre-set choices. It was made to order.

Pyjamas were given out but preferred size was not asked prior.

Warm nuts in a bowl with post take-off drink were obliged to.

Crew was very obliging with companion lunch. Was served the off-menu main course on top of the BTC choice, and had a sampling of both Krug and Dom. Praline and selection of coffee/tea was sort of missed out after lunch.

Once seat was turned to bed, service was almost discreetly nonexistent until you ask for it (I suppose that's privacy).

Hot towel after nap was obliged to.

There was nothing wrong with the service, it's just that the Suites enclosure seems to favour privacy over interaction and I did feel... forgotten.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by landingpoint

There was nothing wrong with the service, it's just that the Suites enclosure seems to favour privacy over interaction and I did feel... forgotten.
You felt forgotten....did you consider the Call Bell?

The reality is that there was probably a flight attendant in the galley just metres away from you who was sitting there bored out of his/ her mind waiting for requests from Suites passengers.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by landingpoint
To each his/her own I guess... I actually prefer this than to have an FA constantly hovering over me - which makes me quite uneasy, to be honest...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by QF Lad
You felt forgotten....did you consider the Call Bell?

The reality is that there was probably a flight attendant in the galley just metres away from you who was sitting there bored out of his/ her mind waiting for requests from Suites passengers.
I'm sure that flight attendant was loving life hahaha.

I remember one flight that my friend was working (in J) and I was a passenger flying in F. Had the meal quickly and went down to the galley to chat with my friend and she told me her colleague (the FA working in F) said I was the best passenger flying in her section that day.

I couldn't comprehend why the FA would've said that so I asked my friend why and she said her colleague told her I was the passenger that ordered the least amount of food & drinks. Couldn't help but this cracked both of us up a lot at that time :P
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Glad I found this thread - did not realize I would have to bring my own amenity kit for a 15-hour flight in C Of course I have about 2 dozen unopened UA kits as I rarely need them but there is comfort in knowing that I have an eyemask, earplugs etc.

Do they provide slippers or should I bring those as well?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Glad I found this thread - did not realize I would have to bring my own amenity kit for a 15-hour flight in C Of course I have about 2 dozen unopened UA kits as I rarely need them but there is comfort in knowing that I have an eyemask, earplugs etc.

You actually don't need to bring an amenity kit. Up to you whether you bring slippers or not. You can get the following items on the flight:
- Socks with extra padding on the bottom that make them half way between a sock and slipper [provided to all passengers]
- Eyeshades [provided to all passengers]
- Earplugs [on request from crew]
- Razor blades/shaving cream [in draw in toilets]
- Toothpaste/toothbrush [draw in toilets]
- Moisturising lotion [dispenser in toilets]
- Fragrances [dispenser in toilets]

I always carry a spare pack of earplugs (on any carrier) just in case as they are so tiny anyway.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
You actually don't need to bring an amenity kit. Up to you whether you bring slippers or not. You can get the following items on the flight:
- Socks with extra padding on the bottom that make them half way between a sock and slipper [provided to all passengers]
An excellent check list.

Of course I have about 2 dozen unopened UA kits as I rarely need them but there is comfort in knowing that I have an eyemask, earplugs etc.
So SQ spares you the agony of having another unopened kit...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:04 pm

I always carry a spare pack of earplugs (on any carrier) just in case as they are so tiny anyway.
good point.. everything from an amenity kit is available. I'm all for being environmentally friendly!

When I fly F though which is on average once a year, my environmental friendliness goes out the window and I expect a kit which they provide
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold

I would still prefer to be asked if I would like a kit or not instead of using dispensers that are unsanitary

Slippers are not provided
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Wings100
I would still prefer to be asked if I would like a kit or not instead of using dispensers that are unsanitary
In economy they've replaced the pouring type dispensers with pump packs which are more hygienic I assume as they don't allow "backflow" (have they done that in business?, it has been a while).

Other than that aspect , I am not sure they are any more unsanitary than anything else you might touch in the toilet area of an airplane (like the lock or the door handle) ... and anyway simple solution put some soap onto a tissue and wipe the said dispenser clean before touching it......
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: ROP Gold

I certain received a pair of blue socks / slippers in a pouch when flying SQ from Europe to Singapore.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:51 am

that's not true. I have taken SQ in J a fair bit from short haul 2-hr Bangkok flights to long haul Europe and those grey-blue slippers are always distributed
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by concept|infinit
that's not true. I have taken SQ in J a fair bit from short haul 2-hr Bangkok flights to long haul Europe and those grey-blue slippers are always distributed
I think it's a matter of definition . There's no doubt the socks with padded sole are provided. Whether you call those slippers, consider them socks, or consider them a good substitute for slippers is the debatable point. I personally think they're not slippers, but good enough to sub. for them.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:44 am

Ok. First time in Silverkris lounge and certainly not impressed, it's crowded and the food option is bad at 10pm, and few TV screens. I would prefer Qantas Business Lounge at Changi with decent good, and more friendly seats for meals and TV. The shower is also better over at Qantas. Also comparing with Business class lounges at Doha, and HKG, I find Silverkris a disappointment. Now looking forward to the flight to FUK!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I think it's a matter of definition . There's no doubt the socks with padded sole are provided. Whether you call those slippers, consider them socks, or consider them a good substitute for slippers is the debatable point. I personally think they're not slippers, but good enough to sub. for them.
What you describe is a hybrid, and it's not clear to me how those function.

Here's my definition:

Slippers = rubber bottom, fabric top. liquids on bathroom floor do not seep through.

Socks = 100% fabric, will get wet when you step in liquids.

Typically most airlines provide socks, whereas hotels provide cheapo slippers (which I keep and reuse on the plane ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.