Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines 7kg cabin luggage allowance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore airlines 7kg cabin luggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
The 7kg does tend to surprise people as well who are used to 10kg being a kind of defacto standard in other parts of the world.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:12 pm

Is this for economy class or does this aply to first as well?

I am assuming that for first class they allow more
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: *A
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it seem Changi isn't what it used to be. They are now asking all passengers to weigh their hand luggage at passport control before you go airside. I watched a whole load of people get rejected and have to repack or pay or check bags. It's all very draconian.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tennet1979
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but it seem Changi isn't what it used to be. They are now asking all passengers to weigh their hand luggage at passport control before you go airside. I watched a whole load of people get rejected and have to repack or pay or check bags. It's all very draconian.
Are you sure? I've been in and out of Changi every other week this year, on multiple carriers (SQ and some other LCCs) and not once have I been asked to weigh hand luggage. Passport control doesn't weigh your bags - they just do a security screening.

I have never had a problem with SQ and hand luggage - save one time at JFK when an over-zealous airport staff (I'm not even sure if he was TA, TSA or whatever.. he was just wearing an airport tag) told me I couldn't bring on 3 bags as my carry-on. Despite telling him that I was in J, and SQ rules allowed for two carry-ons and a personal item (I had a carry-on, a handbag and a laptop bag), he refused to let me through security. Although very tempted, I refrained from arguing my rights and just stuffed my laptop bag into my carry-on for the duration of the security check.

Other than that, I have never had SQ weigh my hand luggage, or give me grief if I carried more than 3 bags (usually third bag is shopping of some sort), even in Y. If the bag fits into the overheads, I don't think they raise much of an issue.

Last edited by redvelvetmartinis; Apr 23, 2015 at 2:50 am
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I have to agree with redvelvetmartinis- and who is "they" anyway?

Changi is visited by more than one airline and some have very generous cabin luggage allowances. On SQ's odd daughter Scoot you can bring up to 20kg.

So welcome to FT Tennet1979 ^ but I think you err.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Yeah I've never experienced weighing hand luggage at passport control (don't even see the weighing machine anywhere). They just do a security screening at most if they see you have hand luggage sometimes, I think these are pretty random.

Some airlines do weigh hand luggage at the check-in though which I think is understandable.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Yeah I've never experienced weighing hand luggage at passport control (don't even see the weighing machine anywhere). They just do a security screening at most if they see you have hand luggage sometimes, I think these are pretty random.
I have a few years ago seen this I think on Jetstar (or could have been Air Asia), where those with substantial rollaboards and presenting a JQ boarding pass pre-immigration were directed to another area for checking/tagging.

Never seen or heard of such things flying SQ, MH, QF, EK, TG, MI, etc ....
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
They are now asking all passengers to weigh their hand luggage at passport control before you go airside.
I wonder what "now" is. I haven't flown in April, but I've taken about 3 or 4 flights in Jan-Mar and never encountered any hand luggage weighing anywhere
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I have a few years ago seen this I think on Jetstar (or could have been Air Asia), where those with substantial rollaboards and presenting a JQ boarding pass pre-immigration were directed to another area for checking/tagging.

Never seen or heard of such things flying SQ, MH, QF, EK, TG, MI, etc ....
3K/JQ is fairly stringent on their hand luggage - but they always weighed at check-in counters, and not at passport control. The most I've seen is checking for size at the gates, but that's only happened once on all my 3K flights.

TBH, I've never noticed an additional area at passport control for weighing bags - didn't even know they had one?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
3K/JQ is fairly stringent on their hand luggage - but they always weighed at check-in counters, and not at passport control. The most I've seen is checking for size at the gates, but that's only happened once on all my 3K flights.

TBH, I've never noticed an additional area at passport control for weighing bags - didn't even know they had one?
This was a few years ago. There was a contractor set up off to the side to weigh and tag bags. I haven't seen it recently.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:48 am

This was a few years ago. There was a contractor set up off to the side to weigh and tag bags. I haven't seen it recently.
Ahh, a few years ago I was a klueless kettle. Wouldn't have noticed it either!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I wonder how would they do it. Each airline has different hand luggage weight limit...

Nice first post (troll?) anyway...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:33 am

..Never seen or heard of such things flying SQ, MH, QF, EK, TG, MI, etc ....
I certain have on SQ, TG, and MI. On TG even in Biz.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by weero
I certain have on SQ, TG, and MI. On TG even in Biz.
Really? I must have missed it then. I have flown out of Changi hundreds of times, and have only ever seen what the OP was referring to with a Jetstar BP (i.e. luggage checks at the point of entering immigration area, prior to going airside).

At Changi, I have seen it at checkin on various carriers, although have never been asked myself. I have also seen post check-in, but pre-immigration checks flying SQ at MEL.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:10 am

Really? I must have missed it then. I have flown out of Changi hundreds of times, and have only ever seen what the OP was referring to with a Jetstar BP (i.e. luggage checks at the point of entering immigration area, prior to going airside)...
My bad, I was a bit terse: not in Changi per se but on the airlines you have listed. Only MI checked my hand luggage in Changi. Jetstar so far never probed me .. but I don't fly them often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.