Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ 317 Depressurisation and diversion to Baku

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

FROM SQ facebook page:

Flight SQ317, an Airbus A380 operating from London to Singapore, diverted to Baku in Azerbaijan on 6 January 2014 as a result of a cabin depressurisation. Oxygen masks were deployed and the aircraft landed uneventfully at Baku airport at 01:03 (local time). There were no injuries to the 467 passengers and 27 crew on board.

Glad all ok
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
More news available at this website too:
http://news.asiaone.com/news/relax/s...ing-azerbaijan
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Not good...
What was the registration?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:37 pm

A picture and passenger's account - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Various
If this is to believed I think there should be some questions asked why they continued for so long.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Wow, some of the comments by the passenger Matthew G. Johnson point to some incredibly poor decisions by SQ, and also him being a possible FTer..glad that everyone is safe and hope they all get settled to hotels and back to respective homes!

"Matthew G. Johnson Interesting story... shortly after take-off from Heathrow a loud air noise was heard from the door five rows in front. So loud it was impossible to hear and cold due to the airflow I asked the cabin crew whether they knew the cause and whether the flight crew had been down to examine
Got silly answers so then asked to speak to the in-flight supervisor two hours later he finally turned up. Apparently the door had a leaking seal which had presented on the flight to London but apparently in very mild form. He assured me they had cleared the airplane as servicable. I was a little dubious and miffed by the high noise and cold temperatures. I wrote a compalint questioning their judgement and then settled to pass the time watching movies. A few hours later the leaking door over powered the compressors' ability to pressurise the cabin and we entered into an emergency decent over Afghanistan (of all placess!) with those cute facemasks to keep us amused.
..although I assesed our chances of survival as good there were a few anxious moments.In my view the decision to take-off was marginal but the decision to continue after the problem worsened was poor. Dumping the fuel and returning to Heathrow seemed the obvious choice, and I had highlighted this to them a couple of hours before the emergency. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in this case it was a little too easy to predict."
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by LY777
Not good...
What was the registration?
9V-SKE
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UK_Ship
FROM SQ facebook page:

Flight SQ317, an Airbus A380 operating from London to Singapore, diverted to Baku in Azerbaijan on 6 January 2014 as a result of a cabin depressurisation. Oxygen masks were deployed and the aircraft landed uneventfully at Baku airport at 01:03 (local time). There were no injuries to the 467 passengers and 27 crew on board.

Glad all ok
I am sure this was uncomfortable for the passengers, but depressurisation is not as dagerous as it might seem.

467 PAX is quite a good load on this route is it not? Thats only 4 vacant seats.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:24 am

Full flight, hope all goes well.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Thanks WindFlyer
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:22 am

SQ8850 operated by SKD outbound now, just passing bandar aceh on the way to rescue the folks stuck there
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:54 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
The BBC report is in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25618122

Isn't it strange that pax were complaining about it being ridiculous that no catering was available for 500 pax and another complained about the time taken to get a replacement plane in!

Another passenger Mark Franklin wrote that the handling of the incident was "terrible".

"It's not acceptable to not have even very basic refreshment or information for almost 500 people," he added.

Guess he doesn't realise that smaller airports don't have huge catering facilities just in case an A380 or 744 drops by. Nor do airlines have spare planes dotted all around the world to deploy at 1 hours notice.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by BOH

Isn't it strange that pax were complaining about it being ridiculous that no catering was available for 500 pax and another complained about the time taken to get a replacement plane in!

Another passenger Mark Franklin wrote that the handling of the incident was "terrible".

"It's not acceptable to not have even very basic refreshment or information for almost 500 people," he added.

Guess he doesn't realise that smaller airports don't have huge catering facilities just in case an A380 or 744 drops by. Nor do airlines have spare planes dotted all around the world to deploy at 1 hours notice.
My post on SQT: (more pics there)

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...0&postcount=26
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by BOH

Seems they had refreshments looking at another post.

On the airport, if an airport is earmarked to receive emergency landings some form of facility might be good to have to let people go to a hotel without a visa or provide accommodation on site. There have been quite a few emergency landings in that part of the world which is nearly halfway Asia and Europe and every time that is the issue passengers face. They are not allowed to leave the plane or the transit area.

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; Jan 6, 2014 at 5:22 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
The SQ FB page says they sent SQ agents from IST and DME to help out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.