FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SQ 317 Depressurisation and diversion to Baku
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:02 am
ashkale
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Wow, some of the comments by the passenger Matthew G. Johnson point to some incredibly poor decisions by SQ, and also him being a possible FTer..glad that everyone is safe and hope they all get settled to hotels and back to respective homes!

"Matthew G. Johnson Interesting story... shortly after take-off from Heathrow a loud air noise was heard from the door five rows in front. So loud it was impossible to hear and cold due to the airflow I asked the cabin crew whether they knew the cause and whether the flight crew had been down to examine
Got silly answers so then asked to speak to the in-flight supervisor two hours later he finally turned up. Apparently the door had a leaking seal which had presented on the flight to London but apparently in very mild form. He assured me they had cleared the airplane as servicable. I was a little dubious and miffed by the high noise and cold temperatures. I wrote a compalint questioning their judgement and then settled to pass the time watching movies. A few hours later the leaking door over powered the compressors' ability to pressurise the cabin and we entered into an emergency decent over Afghanistan (of all placess!) with those cute facemasks to keep us amused.
..although I assesed our chances of survival as good there were a few anxious moments.In my view the decision to take-off was marginal but the decision to continue after the problem worsened was poor. Dumping the fuel and returning to Heathrow seemed the obvious choice, and I had highlighted this to them a couple of hours before the emergency. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in this case it was a little too easy to predict."