Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:53 pm

Hi. I am flying SYD - LHR in a few days with a 23 hour stop over in SIN. I will have two checked bags, however I would like to check one bag through to LHR and collect the other in SIN. Does anyone know if this is possible? I will not be re-checking the bag I collect in SIN, I will be leaving it in storage until my return. I tried calling to ask but I found it too hard to explain over the phone.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:36 am

Generally no problem checking one through and collecting the other one at SIN, as long as you get a competent agent.

Even if all goes wrong and they can't do that, you can easily collect both at SIN, and check in one of them upstairs straight away - they accept check-in baggage from 48 hours before departure.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:16 am

Thanks for your reply. Good to know I can check the bag in when I get to SIN if it doesnt work out at SYD.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Is the booking code for first class awards on all aircraft types O?

I plug that in to EF and it as if that code does not exist.
Bumping this. EF says they don't monitor SQ awards, only partner awards and we all know SQ does not release premium space to partners.

So how are all these blogs suggesting you set EF alerts because space may become available and you may not be notified if you're on the waitlist?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Flying J on SQ for a long haul international flight. I don't have status with SQ. When will I be able to select a bulkhead seat assuming it is still open? If I am ticketed for a connecting flight as well will I be able to select the seat I want at the same time or will the second flight be on a different clock for seat assignments than the first segment?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Red259
Flying J on SQ for a long haul international flight. I don't have status with SQ. When will I be able to select a bulkhead seat assuming it is still open? If I am ticketed for a connecting flight as well will I be able to select the seat I want at the same time or will the second flight be on a different clock for seat assignments than the first segment?
If you purchased the seat online you should be able to select it right away.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by FN-GM
If you purchased the seat online you should be able to select it right away.
The bulkhead seats are not allowed to be selected unless you have status. At some point anyone can select them but I don't know when that is.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
The bulkhead seats are not allowed to be selected unless you have status. At some point anyone can select them but I don't know when that is.
No that's not correct. That's true for Y not J, F or R.

Many bulkhead seats are infant seats so you won't be able to select them unless you are traveling with an infant. You can call and make your case. Sometimes they allow you the seat with the warning they'll boot you from there if an infant needs that seat.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
No that's not correct. That's true for Y not J, F or R.

Many bulkhead seats are infant seats so you won't be able to select them unless you are traveling with an infant. You can call and make your case. Sometimes they allow you the seat with the warning they'll boot you from there if an infant needs that seat.
Ok. I tried to request a J bulkhead seat on the phone and the rep told me that all she could do was put in a request for it but could not assign the seat to me. I have to call back anyway since I can't get my ticket to print from the website even though when I click on the reservation it says my ticket is confirmed and ticketed.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Again, thanks for the advice... very please with how everything went.

This is SQ not UA. Put your wallet away. Enjoy your drink and flight.
I kept the wallet at bay... enjoyed a sling on each of the flights we took. Compared to UA (which we used for t-pac) SQ crushed them on every metric for the hard and soft product.

DNATA & SATS are both decent. Not great but decent.
We hit the Krisgold lounge right away, then did a walk over to DNATA... which as you suggested, they were not great... but indeed decent. We actually like the Ambassador lounge the best, as it was next to the butterfly garden, so we had a excellent view of that area.

Ask nicely at the airport.
Totally denied on standing by for 2 earlier flights (we actually tried to get on a A380 as well, as its likely was our only opportunity to fly that model) that did have avaiable space. That's why we had plenty of time to visit the above 3 lounges (not complaining about the extra time at Changi... it is a really nice place to get stuck and have time to kill) .
PiperAtGatesofDawn likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Again, thanks for the advice... very please with how everything went.

I kept the wallet at bay... enjoyed a sling on each of the flights we took. Compared to UA (which we used for t-pac) SQ crushed them on every metric for the hard and soft product.

We hit the Krisgold lounge right away, then did a walk over to DNATA... which as you suggested, they were not great... but indeed decent. We actually like the Ambassador lounge the best, as it was next to the butterfly garden, so we had a excellent view of that area.

Totally denied on standing by for 2 earlier flights (we actually tried to get on a A380 as well, as its likely was our only opportunity to fly that model) that did have avaiable space. That's why we had plenty of time to visit the above 3 lounges (not complaining about the extra time at Changi... it is a really nice place to get stuck and have time to kill) .
Not a fan of Ambassador - I think they’ve redone the place... but other than the view and outside seating... very limited food and no free booze (booo)!

Asia doesn’t have the standby concept the way US airlines do. People have got on standby lists and earlier flights especially if there have been any IRROPS (even on the inbound) or for short hauls. It’s rare and you have to be very lucky to score this.

And you can’t really compare UA to SQ.... especially in Y. In J the new Polaris isn’t too bad (soft product is)... but Y.... SQ beats UA hollow.

Yups and there are million things to explore in Changi... it’s the best airport to be stuck in for a few hours!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Not a fan of Ambassador - I think they’ve redone the place... but other than the view and outside seating... very limited food and no free booze (booo)!
It did feel like the lighting was poor, but the food offereings felt better then the other 2 lounges I visited.

FWIW, I was offered certs for a complimentary drink, but I politely declined.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:23 am

How is it that no one can chime in whether suite awards can be monitored by EF through Kris? It's a yes or a no.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:54 am

Hi...

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking to book a 1-way flight from NYC to Tokyo with a stopover at SIN. I tried booking an award ticket with this itinerary but was given a message saying this couldn't be booked due to backtracking. Is this a legal routing? I have no status.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Hi...

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking to book a 1-way flight from NYC to Tokyo with a stopover at SIN. I tried booking an award ticket with this itinerary but was given a message saying this couldn't be booked due to backtracking. Is this a legal routing? I have no status.
SQ flies to New York either direct or via Frankfurt so you won’t be able to do that. Will be backtracking.

Consider getting a one way positioning flight to LAX and then an award flight to Narita from there.
sbjnyc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.