Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
My miles are expiring at the end of this month. Currently I have a issued ticket with these for the 12th of March which I have had to change to the 16th and is now waitlisted. I can only use this ticket if the waitlist clears but its been 3 months. Now what happens if the waitlist does not clear? Will I loose the miles? Or do I then have the option of cancelling my original flight and paying the cash to extend the miles for a further 6 months?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by jxshasha

Should I hedge my bet by redeeming Y class saver tix for the same date, which are already available, and call to ask for my WL to be expedited? Am happy to pay the USD30 cancellation fee to guarantee my travel.
Obviously it makes sense to have a guaranteed ticket as backup in case the waitlist doesn't clear. But why not double your odds? Waitlist the outgoing AND return journeys, you will only be charged the points if one of them clears. So even if you don't get the SIN-SFO J award you might get the SFO-SIN award. If you don't have the points to do Y one way and J the other, it could at least be worth phoning to enquire which way has better possibility of award availability opening, and plan your purchase around that.

Sadly SQ awards are not designed for those travellers who have no flexibility about dates. I plan my awards flights around availability of destination and dates, which leads to some interesting holidays. But of course this doesn't work for everyone

Last edited by onlySIA; Dec 17, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
My miles are expiring at the end of this month. Currently I have a issued ticket with these for the 12th of March which I have had to change to the 16th and is now waitlisted. I can only use this ticket if the waitlist clears but its been 3 months. Now what happens if the waitlist does not clear? Will I loose the miles? Or do I then have the option of cancelling my original flight and paying the cash to extend the miles for a further 6 months?
Bump... Anyone?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would call and ask. From my understanding, the miles need to be in your account to be extended. once they have expired as part of a booking that then gets canceled, they will not be redeposited and hence cannot be extended. However, last time I inquired about this was years ago. So better verify with KF.

If you can't travel the confirmed date for sure and are scared about the waitlist clearing you could bite the bullet and cancel (pay fee), get redeposit, extend (pay fee) and book again / waitlist again.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:50 pm

I have a confirmed award J class seat booked before the de-valuation. Plans have changed and I called in recently to get myself wait-listed for another J seat, same route, at a different time. If it clears, will they charge me the mileage difference? I know it is needed if it is a change of class, but the wait-list is from the same class and route.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by SilverGGA
I have a confirmed award J class seat booked before the de-valuation. Plans have changed and I called in recently to get myself wait-listed for another J seat, same route, at a different time. If it clears, will they charge me the mileage difference? I know it is needed if it is a change of class, but the wait-list is from the same class and route.
Have you seen any mileage difference?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Should I waitlist for MAN-IAH on July 15 in economy? Not sure of the chances of clearing since peak summer season
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Phaze
Have you seen any mileage difference?
No (or not yet). I booked a North America to Asia seat which was 63.7k after online discount and before de-valuation. Now the same leg is 82k and no more 15% discount. My current reference number shows both the confirmed flight, and the waitlisted flight.

Was wondering if it clears, i don't need the difference in miles. Same class, same route, just different date.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I was gonna say! 4 F tickets from waitlist would be fantastic.
Well, I ended up having the whole F cabin for myself! It was a bit overwhelming, as the excellent LSS and the friendly LS were constantly checking on me at the beginning of the flight.
They made the bed in another seat, while I used my booked seat to eat/watch movies.
The 'lobster thermidor' was fabulous, so was the 'marinated crab meat with sweet pea pancakes'.

Even in F, those TPAC flights are getting harder and harder to support, I got bored after 6 hours.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
First time trying to redeem on SQ Krisflyer. Have several waitlisted bookings-- one booking is a 1-stop through SIN within SEA. Only the ex-SIN leg has become available for confirmation two days before departure. Not very useful without the first leg! Have several others, not very optimistic for chances of clearing as they are all within 10-12 days.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA
Obviously it makes sense to have a guaranteed ticket as backup in case the waitlist doesn't clear. But why not double your odds? Waitlist the outgoing AND return journeys, you will only be charged the points if one of them clears. So even if you don't get the SIN-SFO J award you might get the SFO-SIN award. If you don't have the points to do Y one way and J the other, it could at least be worth phoning to enquire which way has better possibility of award availability opening, and plan your purchase around that.

Sadly SQ awards are not designed for those travellers who have no flexibility about dates. I plan my awards flights around availability of destination and dates, which leads to some interesting holidays. But of course this doesn't work for everyone
Thanks so much for the advice, I've gone ahead to redeem a Y class one-way
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Just new to Krisflyer. I read about how you can look for award bookings and stopovers with Krisflyer but the route I want which is AKL-NY via Singapore and Frankfurt in J or F is showing only waitlist options for the whole of the next twelve months.

I have the points in a transferable program, but as far as I can see I’d have to commit the points to Krisflyer when I don’t really know if I can use them there. Is this of any use? How far in advance do these waitlists clear? Coming from New Zealand it’s not much use if you only have say, 2 weeks notice of flying. BTW is there any way of pulling up a calendar view of Krisflyer award availability instead of having to scroll through day by day looking for availability?

Can someone confirm, is the best strategy for Krisflyer to move some points in, line up a whole lot of waitlists and then hope that one clears? On these multi sector award flights do the sectors all clear at once or at different stages?

I can’t really see this journey being workable unless you can drop everything and travel within a two week notice period of the flights clearing?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
Can someone confirm, is the best strategy for Krisflyer to move some points in, line up a whole lot of waitlists and then hope that one clears? On these multi sector award flights do the sectors all clear at once or at different stages?

I can’t really see this journey being workable unless you can drop everything and travel within a two week notice period of the flights clearing?
sin-jfk is one of the most desired routing, and you want to tack on akl too

waitlist a lot, and hope something clears. Sq has married segment logic, and it's possible for one segment to clear but not the other

Sq kf isn't a worthy program for you - miles expire, no rhyme/reason to seats opening, and wait list are the norm (or closein travel)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by paperwastage
sin-jfk is one of the most desired routing, and you want to tack on akl too

waitlist a lot, and hope something clears. Sq has married segment logic, and it's possible for one segment to clear but not the other

Sq kf isn't a worthy program for you - miles expire, no rhyme/reason to seats opening, and wait list are the norm (or closein travel)
Thanks Paperwasteage for your honest opinion there!

You read so many blogs about how 'easy' it is to score Krisflyer award flights but this thread seems to be the only place where people are putting up their actual experiences of trying to book krisflyer award flights. I can see that Krisflyer is very suitable for retirees who have lots of flexibility to fly short notice. Getting award bookings requires some serious cash in getting the transferable points to do the award flying in the first place, so I guess I'm really looking around for a program that has confirmed bookings available, not standby to semi standby bookings where the points have been committed.

Am I correct in thinking American airlines is the only program where you can really put a confirmed booking on hold until you have moved the points over? I'm open to any suggestions! Cheers
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
Thanks Paperwasteage for your honest opinion there!

You read so many blogs about how 'easy' it is to score Krisflyer award flights but this thread seems to be the only place where people are putting up their actual experiences of trying to book krisflyer award flights. I can see that Krisflyer is very suitable for retirees who have lots of flexibility to fly short notice. Getting award bookings requires some serious cash in getting the transferable points to do the award flying in the first place, so I guess I'm really looking around for a program that has confirmed bookings available, not standby to semi standby bookings where the points have been committed.

Am I correct in thinking American airlines is the only program where you can really put a confirmed booking on hold until you have moved the points over? I'm open to any suggestions! Cheers
There used to be more availability (and routes.. west coast USA lost their a380 1-2 years ago)

Multiple factors on lower availability - they can't release as many seats for the new plane/routes, and some uncertainty of when the planes would swap out for each route (along with other usual factors)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.