Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by mys7ix
Thanks for your speedy reply SQ319. SIN-HND flight is on 23 Sep so hopefully it clears.
You were going to propose right and your other half would be on your waitlisted flight?? I would suggest sending a chaser and letting them know you already have travel companions on confirmed tickets on this flight. That may help.

Just fyi though Sep 23 is just on the tail end of a week of public holidays in Japan, so it may be quite busy in most Japanese attractions.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Will SQ let Suites go out empty or if there's still multiple (5) seats available 24-hours before do they release more for redemption?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:55 pm

They'll let it go empty generally. Last minute suites are rare (I'm assuming you're talking long haul). SQ don't do last minute release of space. If you have status they'll open availability for you.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phaze
They'll let it go empty generally. Last minute suites are rare (I'm assuming you're talking long haul). SQ don't do last minute release of space. If you have status they'll open availability for you.
Thank you! Yes, this is last minute long haul and I don't have status.

I'm curious why they leave the waitlist open last minute if they aren't going to release more seats?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:58 pm

another datapoint: LAX-NRT-SIN in Suite departing on October 3 cleared on September 7. Waitlisted on June 27.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:11 pm
Suspended

So I was waitlisted for tonight's SQ25 JFK-SIN. I waitlisted this last Saturday, and as of almost 2-hours before departure there are 5 open suites still according to ExpertFlyer and I never cleared.

I completely understand not opening last minute award inventory. But why keep a waitlist open if they're not going to clear from it? The waitlist was still open as of 12pm ET this afternoon!

Last edited by FSUnole03; Sep 8, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
So I was waitlisted for tonight's SQ25 JFK-SIN. I waitlisted this last Saturday, and as of almost 2-hours before departure there are 5 open suites still according to ExpertFlyer and I never cleared.

I completely understand not opening last minute award inventory. But why keep a waitlist open if they're not going to clear from it? The waitlist was still open as of 12pm ET this afternoon!
Did you send a chaser email? I got cleared for this route for mid Oct, put the request in last week and asked for a chaser this Tuesday - it just cleared.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Did you send a chaser email? I got cleared for this route for mid Oct, put the request in last week and asked for a chaser this Tuesday - it just cleared.
I did. Called in for the chaser on Tuesday afternoon (NYC time). No dice.

Can one send a chaser email or can it only be done by calling in?

It appears that SQ just doesn't release last minute inventory. Which strikes me as odd as I've read reports of awards clearing between 24 & 4 hours, but no luck here. I just don't understand why SQ leaves a waitlist still up on the site to apply for if they're just going to send the cabin out with 5 seats?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by SQ319
You were going to propose right and your other half would be on your waitlisted flight?? I would suggest sending a chaser and letting them know you already have travel companions on confirmed tickets on this flight. That may help.

Just fyi though Sep 23 is just on the tail end of a week of public holidays in Japan, so it may be quite busy in most Japanese attractions.
You have a great memory. Yes, their tickets usually get issued about 10 days into the flight so I reckoned I'll make a trip down to ION once they have their confirmed ticket numbers. Maybe that'll help my case? More worried about one of her family member's ticket which is the subload ticket.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by mys7ix
You have a great memory. Yes, their tickets usually get issued about 10 days into the flight so I reckoned I'll make a trip down to ION once they have their confirmed ticket numbers. Maybe that'll help my case? More worried about one of her family member's ticket which is the subload ticket.
Going to ION wouldn't really help, as the seat controller (who manages the waitlist etc) is not based there. The SQ staff will just help to put in a chaser for you. You can just call the KF hotline and ask them to send the chaser for you; you can also ask them what is your position in the waitlist (they usually are not supposed to share, but doesn't hurt to ask), and assess your likelihood of getting it confirmed.

As for subload, just have to monitor... Otherwise, there are always other flights to HND/NRT.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by SQ319
Going to ION wouldn't really help, as the seat controller (who manages the waitlist etc) is not based there. The SQ staff will just help to put in a chaser for you. You can just call the KF hotline and ask them to send the chaser for you; you can also ask them what is your position in the waitlist (they usually are not supposed to share, but doesn't hurt to ask), and assess your likelihood of getting it confirmed.

As for subload, just have to monitor... Otherwise, there are always other flights to HND/NRT.
I've had them put in chasers on 2 occasions. My friend had the same suggestion to ask them my position so hopefully they can share in confidence.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by FSUnole03

You're saying they allowed waitlisting as late as almost two hours prior to the flight? This is possible. Waitlists will generally have a limit. If that limit isn't met, they may leave it open, thus allowing people to waitlist. Note that this is not scientific. You do not know that they didn't clear waitlists for that flight. You only know that they didn't clear yours. There may well have been passengers above you in the queue who cleared. That said, maybe none cleared. That's the nature of the beast. No one knows the logic behind it and frankly it could be argued that there isn't any. Which is fine - it's the airline's choice. You couldn't have picked a better example than SQ25. They will happily let that go out empty rather than release space to non-PPS waitlisted passengers.

Lastly, be aware that with SQ there is next to no correlation between available inventory and the likelihood of your waitlist clearing.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:46 am
Suspended

You're saying they allowed waitlisting as late as almost two hours prior to the flight? This is possible. Waitlists will generally have a limit. If that limit isn't met, they may leave it open, thus allowing people to waitlist. Note that this is not scientific. You do not know that they didn't clear waitlists for that flight. You only know that they didn't clear yours. There may well have been passengers above you in the queue who cleared. That said, maybe none cleared. That's the nature of the beast. No one knows the logic behind it and frankly it could be argued that there isn't any. Which is fine - it's the airline's choice. You couldn't have picked a better example than SQ25. They will happily let that go out empty rather than release space to non-PPS waitlisted passengers.

Lastly, be aware that with SQ there is next to no correlation between available inventory and the likelihood of your waitlist clearing.
Interesting. I'm curious why they'll let SQ25 go out empty rather than release space to non-PPS waitlisted passengers?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:46 pm

To oversimplify for brevity; company strategy and it's a premium product on a flagship route.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:09 pm
Suspended

To oversimplify for brevity; company strategy and it's a premium product on a flagship route.
Will they open space for KrisFlyer Silver or is that too low?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.