Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
I had my annual dinner with my PPS coordinator last week in Germany. I am booked to SIN next month and asked him to help me upgrade SIN-MUC with LH e-vouchers. Flight shows F3A1 at the moment.
He said he will try. He has been successfull in reopening cheaper booking classes for me in cases where only C or Z was available so I am curious whether he can help me this time.
I also asked him to check in advance for another ticket to SIN (F4A1) that I haven´t booked yet whether upgrade space (for LH e-Vouchers) can be confirmed before booking as otherwise I book LX where I can definitely upgrade to F (on the new 777).

Both flights are not available for saver awards, standard awards are available.
I guess it´s of no use but we never know .
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:04 pm

Hi All,

You've all been very helpful in providing data points and information on how wait lists works. I joined that very club today. Waitlisted saver on SIN-FRA-JFK in F suites for 3/25 and 3/26 of 2017.

I am guessing i should probably send a chasers in the following fashion:

1: Late October
2: Late February/Early march

Separate question:

I will be originally flying out of HKT. SIA site does not let me book F reward from HKT - SIN-FRA-JFK. This is because F is not available on HKT-SIN on their sister airline SilkAir. It is available in J. It also happens to be available for the same amount of miles in J from HKT - SIN-FRA-JFK vs SIN-FRA-JFK because of zoning.

Now using these routing rules, if I am cleared for F for SIN-FRA-JFK, can I call and change my reservation to HKT - SIN-FRA-JFK where the HKT - SIN sector will be in J?

I should probably waitlist HKT - SIN-FRA-JFK in J as well, lol
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by funkadesi
Hi All,

You've all been very helpful in providing data points and information on how wait lists works. I joined that very club today. Waitlisted saver on SIN-FRA-JFK in F suites for 3/25 and 3/26 of 2017.

I am guessing i should probably send a chasers in the following fashion:

1: Late October
2: Late February/Early march
Unless you have a compelling reason on why you need to get on the flight (eg. you already have a confirmed ticket for another passenger, someone else is a paying passenger etc), late October wouldn't do much, as they will hold on confirming the waitlist as they would want to fill the flight with revenue passengers first.

Also you didn't mention your backup plan, but make sure you do have confirmed tickets elsewhere, as SQ would rather fly with empty F seats than confirming award tickets (at the last minute).
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by SQ319
Unless you have a compelling reason on why you need to get on the flight (eg. you already have a confirmed ticket for another passenger, someone else is a paying passenger etc), late October wouldn't do much, as they will hold on confirming the waitlist as they would want to fill the flight with revenue passengers first.

Also you didn't mention your backup plan, but make sure you do have confirmed tickets elsewhere, as SQ would rather fly with empty F seats than confirming award tickets (at the last minute).
I have a separate outbound flight in economy as backup with trip insurance purchased to I can cancel it if reward goes through.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:34 pm

If you still want to fly A380 suite LAX-NRT before they switch plane, as of now, Suite Saver is available for booking 10/7 flight LOL
Attached Images  
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hondaman82
If you still want to fly A380 suite LAX-NRT before they switch plane, as of now, Suite Saver is available for booking 10/7 flight LOL
That's today. A whirlwind weekend in Tokyo, perhaps? I wonder if the seat just opened up, or it's been there all along.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:39 am

Waitlist begins...

3 pax HKG-SFO business savers, mid July.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:49 pm

Not able to wait list without miles

Hi all -

Any changes to booking process/system?
Till recently I was able to wait list as Many flights with no or less miles. Now I am being prompted to allocate miles first, even for wait lists.

Has anything changed?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ExSin
Hi all -

Any changes to booking process/system?
Till recently I was able to wait list as Many flights with no or less miles. Now I am being prompted to allocate miles first, even for wait lists.

Has anything changed?
You can waitlist as many flights as you want, as long as you have sufficient miles for that flight you are waitlisting.

I just did some waitlisting yesterday, so don't think that has changed.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by SQ319
You can waitlist as many flights as you want, as long as you have sufficient miles for that flight you are waitlisting.

I just did some waitlisting yesterday, so don't think that has changed.
To the best of may knowledge, I have been able to waitlist without having the required miles quite a few times. Thats why my question - has anything changed?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ExSin
To the best of may knowledge, I have been able to waitlist without having the required miles quite a few times. Thats why my question - has anything changed?
You must have been mistaken. What SQ319 said is correct. You can waitlist as many flights as you like as long as you have the required number of miles in your account. The miles won't be deducted until you are ticketed. But you still need the miles to be in your account to be able to waitlist in the first place. It has always been like this as far back as I can remember (6-7 years?) and possibly longer.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:54 am

Datapoint for SIN - IAH for 1 Business (I) saver class Jan 1, 2017.

Waitlisted on Jan 12, 2016.
Cleared on Oct 8, 2016.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by cowie
You must have been mistaken. What SQ319 said is correct. You can waitlist as many flights as you like as long as you have the required number of miles in your account. The miles won't be deducted until you are ticketed. But you still need the miles to be in your account to be able to waitlist in the first place. It has always been like this as far back as I can remember (6-7 years?) and possibly longer.
Thanks for the second opinion - guess I must have been mistaken indeed.

However, either its a wake up from coma or dunno what - How did I book 3 F waitlists to Europe/USA with just 50k Miles balance that I have..
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:51 am

Waitlisting does not clear out those miles. The same miles can be used over and over again for additional waitlisting. The miles only get deducted when you ticket. Hope that clarifies?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:01 am

Ok I think maybe I should illustrate this with an example.

Say you have 100,000 miles in your KF account. You wish to book an award ticket that costs 60,000 miles.

Scenario 1:

You want 1 Jan but it's on waitlist. 2 Jan is available. You book 2 Jan, the system deducts 60,000 miles, you are left with 40,000. You try to waitlist 1 Jan. You cannot, because you need 60,000 miles to waitlist and you only have 40,000.

Scenario 2:

You want 1 Jan but it's on waitlist. 2 Jan is available. (Same as above.) You waitlist 1 Jan, the system sees that you have 100,000 miles in your account. It puts you on the waitlist. But it doesn't deduct the miles. You go ahead and book 2 Jan. The system deducts 60,000 miles. You are left with 40,000 miles. You can't waitlist any more dates on this flight.

Scenario 3:

You want 1 Jan but it's on waitlist. Everything else during that week is on waitlist. You waitlist 1 Jan, the system sees that you have 100,000 miles in your account. It puts you on waitlist. But it doesn't deduct the miles. You waitlist 2 Jan, ditto. You waitlist 3 Jan, ditto again. You can keep waitlisting ad nauseum and you will still retain your 100,000 miles in your account.

Now, one of the dates opens up. You ticket. The system deducts 60,000 miles from your account. You are left with 40,000. You can't waitlist any new dates, but the existing waitlists remain.

I hope it's clearer now?

Last edited by cowie; Oct 12, 2016 at 10:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.