Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New gate numbering system at SFO beginning Oct 16, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
SFO is changing the gate number system at all terminals beginning Oct 16. Gate numbers will change from numeric to alphanumeric (e.g. Gate 64 is now Gate E11). Letters will correspond to the boarding area.

For United in Terminal 3: Boarding Area E, gates E1 – E13, and Boarding Area F, gates F1 – F22 will replace gates 60-90.

For United in the International Terminal: gates G1 – G14 will replace gates 91-102.

https://www.flysfo.com/gate-renumbering

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

SFO is changing the gate number system at all terminals beginning Oct 16. Gate numbers will change from numeric to alphanumeric (e.g. Gate 64 is now Gate E11). Letters will correspond to the boarding area.

For United in Terminal 3: Boarding Area E, gates E1 – E13, and Boarding Area F, gates F1 – F22 will replace gates 60-90.

For United in the International Terminal: gates G1 – G14 will replace gates 91-102.

https://www.flysfo.com/gate-renumbering

nnn, kittiyut, jsn55 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
This makes way more sense than what they currently do especially since the SFO website refers to things like "Boarding Area E" that isn't used in any useful context (i.e. signage). But, now I have to re-learn all the gates. I don't like change!!!1!
SF1K, Pat89339, nnn and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Heard this on the local news as well. While this probably doesn't belong on the UA forum it definitely needed to be done. FINALLY the confusion will end there, I can't tell you the number of times I have been asked by confused tourist as to where there gate is. I have been in and out of here for over 30 years and even I have gotten confused!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I assume this is necessitated by addition of a whole bunch new T1 gates (the new B concourse).

Agree it will take some getting used to. I instinctively groan when crew announces "we'll be arriving at Gate 90" . . . it will take a while to learn the same reaction when "F20" is announced.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Kacee
I assume this is necessitated by addition of a whole bunch new T1 gates (the new B concourse).

Agree it will take some getting used to. I instinctively groan when crew announces "we'll be arriving at Gate 90" . . . it will take a while to learn the same reaction when "F20" is announced.
Agree on the assumption...noticed the alpha numeric gate titles on the new wing of Terminal 1 the other day.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I might have preferred simply adding letters to the gates, which does help aid travelers in knowing where to go. Maybe I'm not looking at the terminal map well, but it appears they could simply have put the relevant letter first before the existing gate numbers and been done with it.
nnn, PVDtoDEL and jonisflying like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Hope that the signages will be clear at various transfer points. It will take a while to re-map the gate numbers for the E area.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
I might have preferred simply adding letters to the gates, which does help aid travelers in knowing where to go. Maybe I'm not looking at the terminal map well, but it appears they could simply have put the relevant letter first before the existing gate numbers and been done with it.
I assume they were also trying to unwind the various double gates (71A, 71B, etc.) at the same time.

I am quite disappointed though. I can't build a rational case against it, but it's changing the SFO I know, and it's sad
Markie, SFO 1K, RobOnLI and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Another airport that can't seem to follow a consistent numbering scheme. In the "E" terminal they seemed to do a decent job of odd on one side and even on the other with the exception of E4. The "F" terminal is a bigger disaster. F17, F19, F20 and F22 are on the 'wrong' side.

If a lot of people can't figure out the simple numbers SFO has used for years I don't see this helping honestly. Whenever I enter a terminal I don't know I look at the first gates on both sides and figure out which side even and odd are. No point in doing that, especially in the "F" terminal.

-RM
wcj1, droopydog, cmdinnyc and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Another airport that can't seem to follow a consistent numbering scheme. In the "E" terminal they seemed to do a decent job of odd on one side and even on the other with the exception of E4. The "F" terminal is a bigger disaster. F17, F19, F20 and F22 are on the 'wrong' side.
IMO, the F-terminal layout makes more sense than trying to keep the odds and evens on the right side once you reach the end. Once you're in that close proximity it makes more sense to have adjacent gates be sequential to the extent possible. There's a large gap between F15 and F22, so it makes sense for the gap in numbers to be there. Plus, it doesn't really make much difference given once you get there all of the gates will be visible from each other, so any confusion will be very short-lived.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:30 pm

This might make sense at LAX as well, where the terminal and gate nomenclature limit each terminal to 10 gate numbers before you have to tack on letters or special characters (for example, Gate 71, 71A, 71.2, 71.2:-:, etc).

Perhaps they should incorporate emojis - Your flight to Hawaii? Gate . Your flight to [place you really dislike]? Gate .

nnn, rieuwa, Dublin_rfk and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thanks for the heads up, scottpenderson.
scottpenderson likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Danski
Perhaps they should incorporate emojis - Your flight to Hawaii? Gate . Your flight to [place you really dislike]? Gate .

You'd end up needing a 12 yo kid to tell you which gate your flight is at.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:45 pm

So this won't be confusing anymore.
PTahCha, SF1K, 1P and 29 others like this.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Sep 20, 2019 at 9:25 pm
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
Maybe I'm not looking at the terminal map well, but it appears they could simply have put the relevant letter first before the existing gate numbers and been done with it.
They could not have (at least not without splitting a single number into A/B gates), because they're adding four new gates (three to B concourse, one to C).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.