Fried Chicken, CNN and Human Rights in Atlanta, Georgia, USA via United First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

Fried Chicken, CNN and Human Rights in Atlanta, Georgia via United First

YVR-DEN-IAH-ATL (paid)
ATL-YYZ-YVR (paid)

Preparation:

This trip was essentially a tag onto one of MrsWT73’s work trips. Atlanta Georgia, USA isn’t somewhere I would have typically put on top of my wish travel list. When I looked up hotel pricing, and saw most of the rates were around $300 USD a night “a la New York Style”, I thought it was a good opportunity to take advantage of a company paid hotel room. While MrsWT73 worked, I would be able to get in a little sightseeing on a quick 3 day trip.

Through google flights, I was able to find a very reasonable $500 CAD ($370 USD) fare down from Vancouver to Atlanta on United in First Class all the way, earning 150% RDM into Aeroplan. My return was not so lucky. Being a Saturday morning, most flights departing Atlanta after a major convention week were mostly full by the time I locked in the plans. Again via google flights, I ended up finding a $187 CAD ($140 USD) base standard fare earning 50% RDM in Air Canada economy that I was not able to replicate directly on the Air Canada website as it priced out over at over $400 CAD. The original routing was Atlanta – Toronto – Calgary – Vancouver, but after the Ethiopian Boeing 737 Max crash, the B737 Max’s ended up being grounded and as a result, my Calgary – Vancouver segment scheduled on the Max was cancelled and I was ticketed Toronto Vancouver non stop.

In this Report:

Plaza Premium Lounge: Transborder Vancouver
United First: Vancouver International - Denver International
United Club: Denver Terminal B East
United First: Denver International - Houston International
American Express Centurion Lounge - Houston International
United First: Houston International - Atlanta Hartsfield International
Glenn Hotel Autograph Collection, Atlanta
​Atlanta
Ritz Carlton Atlanta
Air Canada: Atlanta International Terminal - Toronto Pearson
Air Canada: Toronto Pearson - Vancouver

Links to my previous reports:

Christkindlesmarkt (Christmas Market) Villages in Germany via British Airways and Lufthansa First Class, Dec 2018
Iceland, Spain & Morocco via IcelandAir Business Class & British Airways First Class, Sept 2018
East Africa: Tanzania and Seychelles via Air Canada & Turkish Airlines Business Class June 2018
Spring Break with WT73jr at Vail Colorado, USA via Alaska Airlines. March 2018
Polyensia Part II: Easter Island, Chile & Mexico City, Mexico via LATAM Business Class. Sept 2017
Summer is a state of mind; Kaanapali, Maui, via Alaska Airlines with my 13 yr old son, August 2017
Fiji, New Zealand and French Polynesia via Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand and Air Tahiti Nui Business Class, June 2017
Mileage Running to New York via Delta Airlines First Class for Alaska MVP Status, Dec 2016
Havana and Varadero Cuba via Westjet Holidays from Canada, Nov 2016
Malta (and the island of Gozo), Venice, Italy and Oktoberfest in Munich, via Air France Business Class, Sept 2016
South Africa, Namibia, Victoria Falls, Mauritius & the UAE via Emirates First, Qatar & South African Airways Business, April 2016
Dodging Volcanic Ash: A family trip to Bali / Singapore with my 11 year old via Asiana, KLM and JAL Business, July 2015
RTW#3 (J): Vietnam, Maldives, and Tackling India’s Golden Triangle via Air Canada, Asiana Singapore, Air India and Turkish Airlines Business, May 2015
Experiencing flying as a "Non-Rev", Australia Wine and Beaches via Air Canada and Qantas Business, November 2014
Alaska Airlines First Class to Las Vegas, and a stay in the Aria Sky Suites “Penthouse” via Alaska Airlines First Class, August 2014
Family trip to Kenora Lake of the Woods Ontario via Air Canada Business Class. August 2014
Cathay Pacific First Class to New York, a sombre visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum & 4 days of eating in NYC, May 2014
RTW
#2 : The Khors of Oman- via Japan, Poland & the UAE and ANA, Thai, Lufthansa Business Class. April 2014.
South Africa, Safari in Maasai Mara Kenya, & Mauritius via South African Airways, Swiss and Air Canada Business Class, Nov 2013
A family trip to Westin Playa Conchal, Liberia Costa Rica via United Airlines, Aug 2013
Buried Treasure: UAE Empty Quarter and Beyond to Huvadhoo Atoll, Maldives via United and Etihad Airlines, Nov 2012
RTW #1(F) The Time Share Presentation: Spain / China / Thailand via Asiana, Thai and Lufthansa First Class, May 2012
A visit to Macchu Picchu and Valle Nevado, Peru and Chile via Air Canada Business Class, Sept 2011
Travel after the Revolution of January 25, 2011. Egypt via Egypt Air, May 2011
A Step Back in Time: The Twilight of Burma, a visit to Myanmar via Silk Airways, Sept 2010

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Jan 11, 2020 at 2:06 pm
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Plaza Premium Lounge
Transborder Vancouver

It was another 3 AM wake up with a 10 minute snooze this morning. I had the house all to myself today as MrsWT73 went down to Atlanta with her work colleagues a day earlier. I left the house at 3:45 AM and took a quick spin through the local 24 hour McD drive through for an Egg McMuffin prior to hitting Highway 99 for a 30 minute drive up to Vancouver International Airport.

The United desks were busy this morning with the first flights of the day leaving for San Francisco, Houston and Denver within 30 minutes of each other. I had completed on line check in via the United App the day before, but I stopped by the kiosk to get a boarding card re-print, if only to get the “INTL” stamp on the card for nostalgia’s sake. Since the legalization of recreational cannabis, there are signs up at all the borders and airports in Canada cautioning about international border lines.

I headed off to security and US pre-clearance. The line this morning was quite substantial as it usually is in the morning. Thanks to Nexus and Global Entry, I was through to the secure side in less than 15 minutes.

After a pass through the duty free, I headed over to the Plaza Premium Lounge Transborder. I was admitted thanks to Priority Pass. Although there was an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge in the Transborder area, I wasn’t thinking of it for some reason with Plaza Premium on my usual Alaska walking route and as a result I didn’t partake. No doubt the effects of waking up at 3 AM!

This place takes pretty much anybody on their list.

This particular Plaza Premium lounge is the saddest Plaza Premium Lounge out of the 4 at YVR and one of the saddest in the system. It’s a small place that seats only 60 persons and has had heavy use over it’s life cycle. It started it's life many many years ago as an Alaska Airlines Boardroom.

The food service area in the lounge is smaller than my kitchen at home. Today, they were serving scrambled eggs and sausage. I ended up having a second round of eggs with scrambled eggs on toast along with an apple juice.

I only had about 20 minutes worth of time before the flight. As a result, I didn’t stick around here too long and packed up early and headed out into the terminal.

The global reach of CNN company is everywhere. It was a bit ironic that I’d be at their broadcasting “headquarters” on this trip.

roadwarrier and nequine like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

United Airlines
UA 343 – First Class (P)
YVR-DEN (Vancouver International Airport – Denver International Airport)
April 9, 2019
06:15 AM – 10:02 AM
Booked: Airbus 320
Flown: Airbus 320

It has been a long while since I’ve flown United Airlines. Since they’ve cut frequent flier earning on most paid economy fares to 50% miles, and most transborder fares can be more expensive than their domestic ones, I’ve switched in the last 3 – 4 years over to Alaska which consistently earn 100% EQM. Add a lack of available business class reward seat space, and I haven’t had much reason to fly with them.

Boarding was called promptly at 5:40 AM with the initial call for those that need additional assistance for boarding, followed by military, then Zone 1 for paid first class.

I was second on board and located Seat 2A. The has been refreshed since my last time on board with them.

A pre-departure beverage of water or orange juice was offered. The low rent plastic cup was a funny touch, along with the Coca Cola paper napkin.

There was in seat power available at the seat.

We had a long taxi over to 26L on the south side of YVR, and had a water departure out of Vancouver today. There were some beautiful views at sunrise as we climbed to cruising altitude.

Once on board and airborne, a breakfast “plate” was offered. Today’s breakfast was a fruit plate and blueberry muffin. The presentation for the food plate was pretty uninspiring. Needless to say, I was glad I had eaten twice before I got on the plane.

Without any inflight seat back entertainment, it was a pretty dreary experience. Of course, I could have probably watched entertainment on my small iPhone screen, but what’s the fun in that? (Laughing).

We arrived to Gate B11 in Denver and into the large spacious concourses that Denver is known for.

nequine likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

United Club
Denver International Concourse B East

I got off the plane and into the busy B terminal. I took the train up to Concourse C and had a meal at Timberline Steaks, courtesy of Priority Pass Select who offered a $28 USD credit. It was friendly and pleasant service. There were no issues using Priority Pass and despite being breakfast to lunch changeover, they had no issues with me waiting around seated in the restaurant for lunch menu to start at 10:45 AM. The restaurant credit is a great deal for leisure travellers not on expense and it is too bad that it is being concluded for us American Express Platinum card holders.

I left a tip in addition to paying for the extras.

I came back to the United Club in the B Concourse. Access was granted thanks to the class of service on the ticket given that it was an “International” ticket. The United Airlines access policies are much more generous than the American Airlines One World policies that don’t allow access based on Transborder or Caribbean first class. It’s a stark contrast from Canada where access is granted based on class of service of the ticket and selling annual memberships to airlines lounges isn’t a primary revenue stream.

The club is still the same as it’s old days of lore. Brown furniture mark most of the main areas with slightly newer chairs that are quite firm to sit on. As in the last time that I was here, the place was packed more reminiscent of a bus holding lounge than anywhere actually quiet or tranquil to be in.

At least the snacks looked a little better than the cereal silos of years past… I also picked up a Global Traveler magazine along with a glass of Copper Moon Chardonnay to keep myself entertained…

The best part about the lounge were the unobstructed views of the apron. Although, being the United concourse, there weren’t much in the way of unusual airplane spotting opportunities.

Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

United Airlines
UA 313 – First Class (P)
DEN – IAH (Denver International Airport – George Bush Houston International Airport)
April 9, 2019
1:30 PM -- 4:51 PM
Booked: Boeing 777-200ER
Flown: Boeing 777-200ER

United Airlines offered widebody service on a Boeing 777 between Denver and Houston. It’s a far better experience than the tiny narrow bodies that typically fly between US domestic hubs and other routes in the network. In addition to the smoother ride, it was my first time in United Business Long Haul after our Chicago – Sao Paulo flight went mechanical some 3 years ago.

Boarding area was a usual collection of people waiting for something to happen. Boarding today was behind 5 groups of specialty boarding of active military, those that needed assistance, Global Services, United 1K, and kids.

On board, it was my first time sitting in the united business class seat for any length of time. The cabin is a 2-4-2 configuration with several seats facing rearward. I made my self sure to select a front facing seat.

The seat itself is super compact. What is given up in space, allows for a lie flat seat. It seems that this product is nearing the end of its life as United introduces Polaris business seats. The reverse herringbone bone seats that offer direct aisle access are much better than this product. Unfortunately, this version offers very limited storage space and hardly anywhere to even store a phone within reach.

My seat mate appeared to be a lawyer who was working almost every minute from take off to landing.

There was a pre-departure beverage of sparking wine. The usual classy plastic cup made another presence. . .

There was also surprisingly a towel service although I snoozed through it.

Thankfully, there were screens and monitors at each seat. I flipped through it a little while we got underway. The United “Three Perfect Days” series featured Tahiti to align with their recent introduction of service to the French Polynesian islands.

A snack was offered on this flight. The offering was a cheese plate or beef, ginger and Asian noodle soba salad. I went with the salad along with an unnamed red wine. It was tasty, but tiny. As expected for this small portion size, I left the aircraft hungry.

We arrived into busy Houston, to gate E18. There were lots of plane spotting opportunities consistent with the oil town that Houston is.

All in all the wide body United Business Class is a reasonable way to get around on a short haul flight. It’s unique to be able to fly these larger aircraft around the United States; they are around quite a bit in Canada on the Trans Contiental routes if you know where and when to look. I would imagine that it’s the same in the United States as well.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

American Express Centurion Lounge
George Bush International Airport
Houston, Texas

Stepping off the plane into the George Bush International Airport, I ended up in the newer part of the airport at E18. It was only my third time through this particular airport. Either the airport has upped its game or it’s a part of the airport that I wasn’t familiar with. It turns out it was a part of the airport that I had never been to. All in all, a pleasant space and I’d actually wander down to this wing if I had lots of extra time to kill on my next visit through.

I found my way over to the D concourse where the American Express Centurion Lounge was located. The entry to it is well hidden and they have sign posted it reasonably well. It’s located immediately behind a duty free store.

I bypassed the attractive elevator under construction and headed down one level to a darker windowless area. Just around the corner was the reception. A friendly agent confirmed that I was on a same day connecting itin as I was just early of the 3 hour window. After those formalities, I was allowed access.

It was my first visit to one of the original Centurion Lounges. It had a reasonable seating area similar to the other lounges in the usual attractive colourful styling. It would almost be nicer if the Centurion Lounges actually looked a little more unique and different than one another. The main drawback was the lack of available light in this dungeon area which reminded me of the old United Red Carpet Club in Seattle under the N Satellite Terminal that was a dark and dreary place.

There were the usual small salads and snacks available, but not enough to substitute a meal. The bar had the usual wine varieties, along with the same wines as available in the Seattle Centurion.

While I was seated in the lounge, the hosts made a public address announcement to report that the sole remaining elevator had gotten stuck. The only way out was through a fire door to the public side, meaning that visitors had to re-clear security. It sent a stack of people scurrying to the door, leaving the lounge in quiet isolation. I ended up staying about 50 minutes, and even that wasn’t enough to keep me entertained.

During that time, the airport authority managed to get the elevator working so I headed down to the C concourse to the nearest Priority Pass restaurant. I walked past the international gates where there were a few Star Alliance airframes parked between flights in the Texas sun. I eventually came along to the George Bush statute of the past president of which the airport is named after.

I ended up down at “Landry’s Seafood” near gate C34 for dinner, another Priority Pass restaurant. I wasn’t feeling too fishy at this point so ended up ordering Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo; comfort food to say the least. The Priority Pass restaurant option is a great future. It’s too bad it’s being removed and I hope it will return one day.

Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

United Club
Concourse C
George Bush International Airport
Huston, Texas.

It’s not super exciting but I thought I would include it for entertainment's sake. After Landry’s Seafood, I wandered down the concourse towards the nearest United Club. Appropriate for United, there was a red velvet rope; err blue plastic line guard outside the entrance. Apprently, people queue to get in here at peak hours.

However, once inside, it was pretty deserted for this weekday evening. The lounge décor was the usual Wood mahogany along with white chairs which now have now a dated look. It was pretty easy to find a lounger at this hour.

Even the television room in the back was totally empty; which was unusual for a lounge.

There were a few small seating areas in the corner where you could tuck away and complete some work.

Not many people in here at this supper hour but not much reason to be. Thankfully, the usual cheese cubes and small vegetables were available as a snack. All in all, it was a reasonable if not somewhat boring place to hang out in between flights.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

United Airlines
Mesa Airlines DBA United Express
UA 6237 – First Class (P)
IAH – ATL (George Bush International Airport – Hartsfield Jackson ATL International Airport)
April 9, 2019
7:55 PM – 10:58 PM
Booked: Embraer 175
Flown: Embraer 175

At about T-30, I headed right to the gate next door to the lounge for my last flight of the day. Boarding was pretty congested, and there were at least 10 on the upgrade list waiting for a seat in the small business class cabin.

The United Business configuration was the usual 1-2 in this Embraer. As with other’s there is only room for 2 rollies in the overhead bins on the right hand side of the aircraft. I found my way to Seat 3A, which was compact in the back of the business cabin.

An open bar pre-departure beverage was offered. I ended up with Jack Daniels and Coca Cola. I was pretty tired from all the waiting around, the early departure this morning, and started to snooze off with the departure over Houston.

I didn’t bother to take a look at the meal service, having had two light and uninteresting offerings on the last two flights. I ended up nodding off for the rest of the flight thanks to that very early morning departure.

We arrived to the maze of Atlanta and surprisingly, we were into the gate quite quickly. It was a short walk out into the streets area where I found a taxi into town.

All in, the United flights were pretty reasonable given their low cost that I paid for them. I'd make sure that I'd eat well in advance of my next series of flights with them since the food was pretty light.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Sep 28, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Glenn Hotel
Autograph Collection by Marriott
Cozy Queen

The hotel for this stay was selected by MrsWT73’s company as they had representatives from North America and Germany staying here. It forms part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection, which I read to be Marriott’s attempt an independent and unique line of hotels that don’t bit the usual Marriott branding. It was in reasonably close proximity to the Georgia Center Convention Center in a walkable distance.

I arrived to the hotel after the flights and a short 17 minute taxi for a flat $30. MrsWT73 had arrived the day before, so the room photos are previously enjoyed.

Per their website, The Glenn Hotel building at 110 Marietta Street, Atlanta Georgia, was built in 1923, and was named after John Thomas Glenn, a prominent attorney and the 31st mayor of Atlanta from 1889-1891.

The Glenn building was constructed on an historic site. According to the contemporary record of General Tecumseh Shermanís march on Atlanta, the house on that site, which was owned and occupied by Major Hamilton Goode of the Confederate army, was spared. It is significant to note that the intersection of Marietta and Spring Street was part of the original center of old Atlanta.

Starting in 1975 the Atlanta Urban Design Commission, by the authority of the City of Atlanta, undertook a field survey of Atlantaís historic resources by a team of researchers who identified sites within the city that may have historic and/or architectural significance. In its 1981 Atlanta Historic Resources Workbook, a photo and article appear as part of the official roster of historic sites, structures and districts for the city. Again in 1987, the Commission updated the cityís inventory of historic sites and districts, which included the Glenn Building.

A wave of new office development swept into downtown Atlanta on the heels of two events: the opening of the Spring Street viaduct, and the grading and paving of Spring Street out to Peachtree. The ten-story Glenn Building, commissioned by the George Fuller Company, was part of its growth, its construction coinciding with the opening of the new viaduct.

It is a rather severe building, with a smooth, limestone facing. Terra cotta detailing along the base and top stories of the structure, as well as a heavy cornice, create the only relief.

The building was designed by the Washington, D. C. architect, Waddy B. Wood. According to plans drawn up by Burge and Stevens, the Glenn Building was to have been part of a larger business complex, including additional office space and a garage with uniformed chauffeurs. The garage, which extends several stories under the Spring Street viaduct, was completed in 1928. The office addition, however, was never built.

Richard Guy Wilson of the University of Virginia, calls the period of the 1920s and 1930s one of the great periods in American architecture and design. This period has been given different stylistic names, such as Art Deco, Modern classic, Stripped classic, Streamlined, PWA, and WPA. According to Robert M. Craig of Georgia Tech, the Glenn Building fits neatly and persuasively into this period as Modern Classic.

In 1986, the building owner began the process of nominating the Glenn Building to the National Register of Historic Places. Although the application was withdrawn due to a sale of the building to the Federal Reserve Bank, the National Park Service certified the building as eligible for the National Register.

In 2006, Legacy Property Group undertook a major redevelopment of the Glenn building creating the first boutique hotel in Downtown Atlanta. The building was subsequently placed on the National Register of Historic Places and continues to proudly watch over the progress of Atlanta from the corner of Spring and Marietta streets.

The lobby was an attractive area and they’ve done well for such a small space. One side of the lobby is dominated by the bar, whereas the other side has the breakfast restaurant.

In short, all of this to say that this means that the rooms are quite compact. Compact for one but really compact for two travelling together.I ended up storing my bag on the floor.

The room was reasonably equipped with a cooler, martini glasses and a renovated bathroom.

The shower faucet was a bit sticky. It had a shorter wand sprayer and a rain shower that I couldn’t get activated as the switcher appeared to be stuck. I ended up having a Lost In Translation “Short Shower” the first morning.

Platinum breakfast at the hotel involved a choice of two items off of the special menu.

The regular breakfast menu also offered these choices.

One of the better features of the hotel that’s worth mentioning was that it offered a happy wine hour between 5:30 PM and 6:30 PM every day in the hotel lobby bar. Although I expected this to be an upsell for supper hour, they weren’t too active with the food offerings in the lounge side. The crowd was mostly mid forties business travelers in suits unwinding after the day with their colleagues.

The hotel was immediately next to the Atlanta Centential Park that was refreshed for the Atlanta Olympics in 1996. Instead of the hotel offering a gym, the park became my circuit for running during my stay here.

In summary, it was a reasonable stay for a shorter trip. The charm of the smaller historic hotels would get wearing after a while for those that were regularily traveling for work purposes. I doubt I would be in a rush to return, instead opting for the newer Westin or other hotel offerings around town.
nequine likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Atlanta, Georgia.

I woke up the first morning and enjoyed a Platinum Breakfast with MrsWT73 and her colleagues that were filtering through the restaurant. I bid them farewell and headed off to explore for the day.

I started immediately outside the hotel at Centennial Olympic Park, passing by the CNN Atlanta Headquarters almost immediately adjacent to the Glenn Hotel. The park was dedicated for the Summer Olympics held in Atlanta in 1996 and marked the revitalization of the downtown Atlanta area. It was also the site of the Centennial Olympic Park Bombing, which was a domestic pipe bomb attack during the Olympic games. The park itself is a nice and pleasant place. It’s quite open with interesting exhibits and features.

Many hotels anchor the area around the park. It’s a very pleasant place to walk through, at least during the daytime. In terms of history, you can even see the statute and shrapnel of where the domestic bombing occurred in the fan shaped figure at the end of the fountain pool.

After wandering through to the other end of the park, I ended up at the Human Rights museum at the north end. The main feature was on the American civil rights movement. The museum outlined the struggles of this particular movement through the 1960’s, including the Civil March on Washington.

Particularly interesting at the museum was a simulation of the “sit ins” that blacks would do at restaurants and cafeterias during the movement. The exercise involved sitting down at a counter, and while wearing headsets, obscenities and derogatory comments would be made into your ears while a timer ran. The goal was to determine how long you could maintain your composure before wanting to stop the exercise. It was particularly poignant and the highlight experience within the museum.

They also featured articles on open democracy as well as profiles of many of the worlds past “freedom fighters”

After a tour through the museum, I wandered back through the park and headed for downtown in order to self situate and orientate. I passed by many more Olympic references and statues that commemorated the games.

Downtown had the usual amenities, although there was a subtitle reference in tourist brochures and similar publications to stay out of downtown at night. I was surprised to see how leafy and treed the downtown core was, amongst it’s historic buildings.

The street murals were also interesting. I especially liked this one for its interesting message in the heart of the town anchored by the Civil Rights movement.

I later returned back to the hotel and went for an afternoon run in the shaded heat around the park. I eventually returned to the hotel for a shower and an American house wine (Copper Canyon Chardonnay) at the hotel bar where I was able to catch up on the trip report.

For dinner, MrsWT73 was tied up with work events. As a result, I was on my own until the late hours of the evening. Part of the goal of coming to Atlanta was to have some southern food. A little search through Trip Advisor yielded the touristy Pittypat’s Porch restaurant for authentic southern food. I booked through Open Table and easily found the restaurant a short walk from the hotel.

The place was packed with tourists and business traveler groups. I’d typically say this was a bad thing but it certainly meant that the food was going to be fresh. Indeed, Pittypat’s Porch served up a great meal with a diverse southern menu.

I was able to enjoy a Scarlett Peach Lemonade with vodka, gin, tequila and rum, along with an included salad bar with Aunt Pittypat’s Fried Chicken served with homemade mashed taters and gravy. It was super tasty and worth stopping by.

I crawled back to the hotel after this meal. I’d easily visit here again if I was through town for some of the chicken. It was a terrific first day in Atlanta with great weather and great food.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Good to see another TR from you again!

Atlanta looks a nice city to visit from what you've posted so far.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Wow, looked like a verrrrrrryyyyyy long start to your trip.
Great photos of downtown Atlanta, thank you.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
United Airlines

It has been a long while since I’ve flown United Airlines. Since they’ve cut frequent flier earning on most paid economy fares to 50% miles, and most transborder fares can be more expensive than their domestic ones, I’ve switched in the last 3 – 4 years over to Alaska which consistently earn 100% EQM. Add a lack of available business class reward seat space, and I haven’t had much reason to fly with them.
United frequent flyer miles are not 50% of miles. Earned frequent flyer miles are earned based on cost of ticket and frequent flyer status. I think it might be the same at Delta and American. It makes earning status more fair instead of people finding a bunch of overly cheap flights to earn status.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:44 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
had a water departure out of Vancouver today.
Hoping you mean an over-water departure.....
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great new report, WorldTraveller73! Looks like some very average flights in United F. I haven't flown United in a while, but the last time I did I was amazed at how small those little tiny blue plastic cups are ... they barely can hold 5 ounces it seemed.

I did not know about American being that strict on access to lounges to prevent those traveling to Canada or the Caribbean. Delta also allows lounge access for Canadian flights, and the offerings in the lounge look a bit better than what United is offering. We stopped there while traveling to YYZ from MSP last year free of charge. I also agree the over promoting of the lounge membership gets a bit old to see too in US lounges.

We love Atlanta, and enjoyed visiting the city this past June. Here's two photos I had taken there from our trip - looks like we were almost in the same spot at one point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.