FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fried Chicken, CNN and Human Rights in Atlanta, Georgia, USA via United First
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:04 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
United Airlines
UA 313 – First Class (P)
DEN – IAH (Denver International Airport – George Bush Houston International Airport)
April 9, 2019
1:30 PM -- 4:51 PM
Booked: Boeing 777-200ER
Flown: Boeing 777-200ER

United Airlines offered widebody service on a Boeing 777 between Denver and Houston. It’s a far better experience than the tiny narrow bodies that typically fly between US domestic hubs and other routes in the network. In addition to the smoother ride, it was my first time in United Business Long Haul after our Chicago – Sao Paulo flight went mechanical some 3 years ago.

Boarding area was a usual collection of people waiting for something to happen. Boarding today was behind 5 groups of specialty boarding of active military, those that needed assistance, Global Services, United 1K, and kids.

On board, it was my first time sitting in the united business class seat for any length of time. The cabin is a 2-4-2 configuration with several seats facing rearward. I made my self sure to select a front facing seat.

The seat itself is super compact. What is given up in space, allows for a lie flat seat. It seems that this product is nearing the end of its life as United introduces Polaris business seats. The reverse herringbone bone seats that offer direct aisle access are much better than this product. Unfortunately, this version offers very limited storage space and hardly anywhere to even store a phone within reach.

My seat mate appeared to be a lawyer who was working almost every minute from take off to landing.

There was a pre-departure beverage of sparking wine. The usual classy plastic cup made another presence. . .

There was also surprisingly a towel service although I snoozed through it.

Thankfully, there were screens and monitors at each seat. I flipped through it a little while we got underway. The United “Three Perfect Days” series featured Tahiti to align with their recent introduction of service to the French Polynesian islands.

A snack was offered on this flight. The offering was a cheese plate or beef, ginger and Asian noodle soba salad. I went with the salad along with an unnamed red wine. It was tasty, but tiny. As expected for this small portion size, I left the aircraft hungry.

We arrived into busy Houston, to gate E18. There were lots of plane spotting opportunities consistent with the oil town that Houston is.

All in all the wide body United Business Class is a reasonable way to get around on a short haul flight. It’s unique to be able to fly these larger aircraft around the United States; they are around quite a bit in Canada on the Trans Contiental routes if you know where and when to look. I would imagine that it’s the same in the United States as well.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:32 pm