Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What I've Learned From Flyertalk Part Two -- My 2000th Post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2002, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

Back in May I memorialized my 1000th post by sharing some of the lessons I had learned from Flyertalk over 13 months.

My second 1000 posts have taken me only 6 months, but I've learned quite a bit in those 6 months. Allow me to share, and to offer my humble thanks.

I know all UA revenue and award booking codes. I also know a few useful Amadeus commands and several UA computer codes. I even interface directly with Galileo (thanks to bedelman).

I understand the different waitlists and I know when to request FFCC.

I know that UA will never dub me a systemwide VIP. But if I ever make 1K, at least UA might allow me to book split awards and one-way awards.

I've learned how to avoid having UA collect double certs when my upgrades clear in advance and at the gate.

I can combine discount certificates and vouchers when ticketing on UA. (Heck, I even get discounts on Avis rental cars.)

I can upgrade to C on UA with LH miles or upgrade on LH with UA miles. (Thanks, Rudi!)

All in all, I'm a better and more-informed traveler. My colleagues benefit from this as well, though they don't know each of you. Most importantly, I've had alot of fun.

Thank yous to:

PremEx the wise
Moderators cblaisd (who also tutors on intra-California mileage runs) and Craig6z
The generous transpac
Employees Liz, basenji, Jana, cdayind, UAX@SFO, and Mark Rogers
Spiff for fighting the good fight for liberty and sanity in aviation security
mahjongguy for his programming prowess (especially FFassist)
United959 for sharing the PVR run with the rest of us

And to countless others that I have failed to thank -- that is a relection on me, and not on your helpfulness and generosity.

------------------
More Room Throughout Coach: the Website of Free Miles and Free Markets

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 01-18-2003).]
Old Nov 13, 2002, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
gleff,
Thanks for the recap. It will help us all. The links are very helpful. What a great list.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:09 am

Amazing work. Thanks very much.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:12 am
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
Speaking of Mark Rodgers--I have not seen any posts from him for quite a while. If he is out there maybe he can give us an update on what he sees happening at UAL.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:32 am
PSC 1K

gleff - As someone very new who has tried hard to learn, your posting will prove invaluable as I continue to expand my knowledge. Thanks!!!

Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:34 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
MAZELTOV gleff on your 2000th post!

I too am learning & always try to be a good FT'er. :-)

FYI, I signed up for your MRTC site and love getting the email updates.

Again CONGRATS!

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats and Thank You for all the help you provide!
Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:40 pm

Programs: United (2MM, Former 1K), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Titanium))
A wonderful reference ---THANKS!!!
Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:13 pm

Just keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to #3000. Thanks for the great summary.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jss:
Speaking of Mark Rodgers--I have not seen any posts from him for quite a while. If he is out there maybe he can give us an update on what he sees happening at UAL. </font>
I think he's around, but he may be posting under a different name. Something about not using your real name on forums. Just a guess...

Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
...Thank yous to:

Moderators cblaisd (who also tutors on intra-California mileage runs) ....
</font>
Thank you. But in turn I am grateful to folks like tvl4free, eps, pacha, crankyusi -- and others I should have mentioned and will no doubt remember in the middle of the night -- for showing me how do be a successful segment runner.

Amazing and helpful post, gleff; bet a lot of bookmarks of this one were made today!

Old Nov 14, 2002, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
cblaisd wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Amazing and helpful post, gleff; bet a lot of bookmarks of this one were made today!</font>
Yep! This one and the previous one.

Many thanks, Gleff.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:51 am
Commander Catcop

Congrats Gleff... and very nice website. Fun too! Add me to the subscribers list.

Somehow we need to save all those links you posted here... very hepful.

That's the best thing about F-T: the SHARING

Looking forward to your next 2000 posts!
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Meow, Catman! The above was post 7999 for you. Cool!

Thank you all for your generous comments. I really do enjoy Flyertalk -- the learning, the comradeship, the intellectual gamesmanship. I do hope that my posts help others because I have certainly been helped by many here.

As for the initial post above, Randy often says that you're only as good as your last post.. and with all my posts in the Word Association Thread I figured I owed y'all one.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:18 pm

Programs: These views are my own and do not represent the views of United Airlines
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gleff:

Thank yous to:

Employees Liz, basenji, Jana, cdayind, UAX@SFO, and Mark Rogers

You are very welcome. Thankyou, for all you have taught me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.