Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Oh my goodness gracious... he feel asleep and missed his flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2002, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.

Should any party mentioned herein resemble any particular FTer, it is simply a figment of your imagination!
============================================

A friend of mine is on his way this morning to KIX to participate in a world championship strategy card game called 'magic.'

He bought a consolidator tkt on AC from SEA-KIX and somehow lost/ damaged/distroyed it before boarding the aircraft.

Whatever... anything which requires the additional payment of funds appears to be a 'No Brainer, No Problem' function for AC. Per routine, AC simply re-issued the tkt at the counter and collected $70 bucks or so for a replacement tkt fee. So Buddy got his boarding pass, proceeded thru security... and then it was on to the gate.

Since Buddy had been 'strategizing' the nite b/4 his flight and all, he thought he would catch a few zzz's while waiting for his flight to be called; due to this 'all nighter,' he was already pretty pooped.

Well, to make this story more entertaining, Buddy 'snooz-R-roonied' and everything... right on thru his SEA-YVR departure!

You know the routine: 'This is the final call for AC flt ### to Vancouver... Mr. Buddy, please report to gate yadda, yadda IMMEDIATELY... this is your last and final call.'

Yes, your right on what happened next, Buddy's bags were off-loaded... we've all been there, been delayed, and seen how this scenario plays out.

Well, eventually Buddy was jarred back into the world of conciousness, cause the seats in the SEA airport are like, SOOO comfortable and everything... and he approaches the UAL gate agent handling this flight who informs him that there is now like, no way to make KIX cxn in YVR... so the 1-800-EVERYBODY-LOVES-TO-FLY-AC number is given to Buddy and he is sent merrily on his way to call our wonderful friends north of the border for alternative travel arrangements.

Remember, Buddy had a consolidator tkt... so how do you think this story is going to play out...??? And, from a customer service stand-point, how should this have been handled?

There will be more, of course, later in post two!

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 2002, 3:07 pm

How should this have been handled? Let me see... he fell asleep, the flight was delayed because they had to off load his bags... business people had meetings delayed and may have missed connecting flights... vacationers were delayed. I think they would give him the gold medal for stupidly!!!

And, from a customer service stand-point, how should this have been handled?

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 03-12-2002).][/b][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by digbyamb (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 2002, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by digbyamb:
I think they would give him the gold medal for stupidly!!!</font>
Oh, I think he definately won one of those, but your response doesn't answer the question how this customer should be handled 'after the fact.'

Old Mar 12, 2002, 3:23 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Not the airlines' fault. I bet AC told him his ticket is voided and he has to buy a new one?

Old Mar 12, 2002, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow a serial...just like when I was a kid in North Bay. We went to the Odeon theatre week after week to see what happened to our heroes. Tune in next time to see what AC will do to the snoozer.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If he had a consolidator ticket, he should be calling his travel agent, not AC. But why didn't he fly UA to NRT or KIX in the first place?
Old Mar 12, 2002, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
And, from a customer service stand-point, how should this have been handled?
</font>
The minimum (and maximum) AC should do for him is to let him standby for the next available flight to KIX. Maybe offer him a hotel at staff/distressed rates. He can't expect much otherwise, even if he did buy a ticket at a published fare.

I'm interested to see if he's accomadated differently.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 5:29 pm
ALW

I'm not saying AC _should_ have done this, but what with having to remove bags and delay everyone, does anyone think it would have been reasonable for the gate agents to look around the gate area, and if they see someone sleeping in his chair near their gate, and they're missing one checked-in passenger with bags for their flight, to go poke him and ask what flight he's on?

Again, I'm not saying this should be part of the service but I know if _I_ were a gate agent, and it had gotten to the point of pulling bags off the plane, I'd go kick the sleeping beauty (did I say that?, I mean tap him gently on the shoulder) and find out where he's going. After all, with the new security regulations he _has_ to be on a flight to somewhere, he can't just be hanging around or waiting for an arrival!

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 13, 2002, 10:23 am

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew Webber:
I'm not saying AC _should_ have done this, but what with having to remove bags and delay everyone, does anyone think it would have been reasonable for the gate agents to look around the gate area, and if they see someone sleeping in his chair near their gate, and they're missing one checked-in passenger with bags for their flight, to go poke him and ask what flight he's on?

Again, I'm not saying this should be part of the service but I know if _I_ were a gate agent, and it had gotten to the point of pulling bags off the plane, I'd go kick the sleeping beauty (did I say that?, I mean tap him gently on the shoulder) and find out where he's going. After all, with the new security regulations he _has_ to be on a flight to somewhere, he can't just be hanging around or waiting for an arrival!

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 03-12-2002).]
</font>
That would make far too much sense!!! Get with it!!
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If the SEA commuter terminal waiting room in the N.Wing is similar to those in PDX and other US and Canadian terminals, it is a rather large room with dozens of flights being called from a couple of desks. It would be rather difficult for UA's agent(s) to canvass all the sitting or dozing passengers to find out who this dufus was. Fortunately, Dash8s are a lot easier to unload bags from than larger pure jets.

So when do we get the next instalment to read?
Old Mar 13, 2002, 11:17 am

Of course we would look around that gate area. Often, though, people who show up early enough for a flight to fall into a deep enough sleep not to hear the countless pages made for him, tend to settle further from the commotion of the gate area. I found one gentleman snoozing several gates away, his plane was currently at about 3000 feet.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Part 2 was right here...

which I've now edited.

Based on comments below, I guess that I didn't say much... so if your interested in how this played out, just skip to the jist in the post below.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:
I bet AC told him his ticket is voided and he has to buy a new one?</font>

BINGO!

Stand-by for a later flight he is not possible he is told. The 'why' is later...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ShareholderBut why didn't he fly UA to NRT or KIX in the first place?</font>
They were booked solid.

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old Mar 14, 2002, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Somebody e-mail me when we get to the point.

Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
Somebody e-mail me when we get to the point.

</font>
I second that, please just tell the story.
Are you getting paid by the words or number of posts? Geeze, you write like a lawyer, very wordy. You wrote: "ready, willing, and able"... that's three adjectives in a row.

Try to be straightforward, undeviating, and direct please

Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:10 am
Original Member

This is getting to be a bit much. Bascically all we found out in the latest segment is that the guy made a telephone call. Geeze this is boring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.