Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
[OT]Amongst other things, I was left wondering how all those Japanese tourists could possibly cope with the archaic British railway system... When people here complain about Germany/Denmark/Sweden, I’m guessing they never got on a train in the UK or perhaps their experience is merely limited to tube, DLR or overground, LOL. [/OT]
I have tried trains in DK, SE, DE, UK, JP, Austria, Switzerland, France Singapore, Thailand, China, Australia, US etc. DK might get a low rating by me as I live here and have a busy train track in my backyard. My experiences in the other countries are from assignments up to a couple of months and vacations.

In my rating JP is in a league for it self. Switzerland is a clear second place. Singapore takes the third place. SE, DE, UK, Austria and France fight for 4th. Thailand, China and DK fight for fifth. Australia is a clear last, miles away for any other country. The subway in the cities is slow and unpredictable. Information about disruptions are none existing. The trains will be announced as normal and disappear as normal without any train passing the platform.
Train service between cities is almost none existing. There is one train a day between Sydney and Melbourne. It takes almost 12 hours for the 900KM and the average delay is above 1 hour. CPH-FRA is about 100KM shorter but the train only takes around 10 hours and this includes 1 hour on a ferry and 2 train changes. And last but not least. There are multiple train options every hour.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I have tried trains in DK, SE, DE, UK, JP, Austria, Switzerland, France Singapore, Thailand, China, Australia, US etc. DK might get a low rating by me as I live here and have a busy train track in my backyard. My experiences in the other countries are from assignments up to a couple of months and vacations.

In my rating JP is in a league for it self. Switzerland is a clear second place. Singapore takes the third place. SE, DE, UK, Austria and France fight for 4th. Thailand, China and DK fight for fifth. Australia is a clear last, miles away for any other country. The subway in the cities is slow and unpredictable. Information about disruptions are none existing. The trains will be announced as normal and disappear as normal without any train passing the platform.
Train service between cities is almost none existing. There is one train a day between Sydney and Melbourne. It takes almost 12 hours for the 900KM and the average delay is above 1 hour. CPH-FRA is about 100KM shorter but the train only takes around 10 hours and this includes 1 hour on a ferry and 2 train changes. And last but not least. There are multiple train options every hour.
There are 2 trains between Sydney and Melbourne daily. But given the choice I would take a 1 hour flight over an 11hr train journey, particularly since the train can be more expensive than flying.
Given the population of Australia (~24mill) and its vast distances, there’s little incentive for governments to improve the rail network, or for passengers to choose the train over flying or driving.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by petit_manchot
There are 2 trains between Sydney and Melbourne daily. But given the choice I would take a 1 hour flight over an 11hr train journey, particularly since the train can be more expensive than flying.
Given the population of Australia (~24mill) and its vast distances, there’s little incentive for governments to improve the rail network, or for passengers to choose the train over flying or driving.

When I were there in October last year, there were only one train per day. I took the train just because I wanted to try it.

In my view there is a basis for more trains in Australia, but I also understand traveling habits are different in Australia than in Europa and it might be hard to get people to use the trains now that they are used to fly or use the cars. Australia is unique with the majority of the population being concentrated in the larger cities. There are not many small cities spread all over the country like in Europa. This is actually an advantage for train service, so I believe the basis is there, but trains in Australia has such a bad reputation that it's almost impossible to get anyone to invest in trains in Australia.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: QF WP
It’s only possible to say Australia has the worst train system in the world if one has never been to New Zealand
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Amongst other things, I was left wondering how all those Japanese tourists could possibly cope with the archaic British railway system... When people here complain about Germany/Denmark/Sweden, I’m guessing they never got on a train in the UK or perhaps their experience is merely limited to tube, DLR or overground, LOL. [/OT]

G
They cope with a slightl overbearing sense of amusement. Though they are often horrified at how dirty the Paris Metro is.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
they are often horrified at how dirty the Paris Metro is
Ha, and how to blame them (especially since I’ve visited Tokyo and, well, enough said...). On the whole and being a ‘perfectionist’ myself, I loved the attention-to-detail’s culture in Japan: when the head of quality back in London asked me what I thought of the forthcoming product launch further to my trip to Tokyo, I suggested that investing in some solid customer complaint’s handling specifically for the Japanese market wouldn’t be a bad thing

G
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Ha, and how to blame them (especially since I’ve visited Tokyo and, well, enough said...). On the whole and being a ‘perfectionist’ myself, I loved the attention-to-detail’s culture in Japan: when the head of quality back in London asked me what I thought of the forthcoming product launch further to my trip to Tokyo, I suggested that investing in some solid customer complaint’s handling specifically for the Japanese market wouldn’t be a bad thing

G
There is a reason that Japan has been a major source of textbook examples of how to develop and implement robust process engineering improvements in manufacturing in particular. And it shows in their service consistency too. It’s really hard to find other markets where continuous improvement in business can be done as well as has been done in Japan. And although the South Koreans have really tried to emulate Japan, they have their limits too. But regardless of how well and consistently a business operation may function, there are market conditions that even operational performance excellence cannot overcome. So even if SAS were to be like JAL or ANA, SAS would more or less still be where it is.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just like the Swedes love safety and equal opportunity etc but then vacation in Thailand to ride scooters without helmets in hotels that would be wiped out by a Tsunami, the Japanese probably like to live dangerously on their vacations too
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Some times I love when a thread goes off tracks😬
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:57 am

Smile Flight Shaming

Originally Posted by fassy

if there is a place on Earth where the train system is more broken than in Germany, it is Sweden. Not sure I believe the whole flying shame thing, I do not know a single one around who does.
10 days ago, on a Hamburg > Fredericia (DK) train, the family of 4 sitting next to me in 1st class was Swedish, on a trip from Amsterdam to Stockholm (the direct Hamburg > Copenhagen route was out of service for track work). They fell to talking with a Canadian couple opposite, and mentioned the concept. This brought on a compartment-wide conversation, and 9 of the 11 passengers in the compartment (including myself, coming from Paris — indeed, all except the Canadian couple) mentioned it as a factor in having chosen the train. Purely anecdotal, of course... but "flight shaming" is clearly "a thing." Sweden is even studying the re-introduction of night "Hotel trains" to Germany (the only way in which rail travel can be time-competitive with flying over a long distance).

In addition, the transportation company with the highest level of satisfaction in Sweden (according to stats compiled by the transport ministry) is a railroad: MTR, which operates an "open access" (unsubsidized) service between Stockholm and Goteborg. The second highest level of satisfaction is attained by... SJ (the "historic" operator, the railroad equivalent of SAS). I don't travel enough in Sweden to speak to any of this personally, but it may be that things are being "fixed."
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by bluemarble
In addition, the transportation company with the highest level of satisfaction in Sweden (according to stats compiled by the transport ministry) is a railroad: MTR, which operates an "open access" (unsubsidized) service between Stockholm and Goteborg. The second highest level of satisfaction is attained by... SJ (the "historic" operator, the railroad equivalent of SAS). I don't travel enough in Sweden to speak to any of this personally, but it may be that things are being "fixed."
MTR is a special case, like the Arlanda Express. SJ with the high speed trains kind of work on the main costal connections like Gothenburg - Malmö. But when it comes to regional trains, Swedish rail-traffic is a hellish nightmare. And the connections cross country are just sad. Don't know how many times I was stuck in Hässleholm. Dozen of times?

Also, I don't give anything on a "highest level of satisfaction in Sweden". Living in Sweden, I feel that the average Swede is happy content with whatever crap he get served. All is just fine.

Best example is my neighbour. Mid 30s, totally crushed is knee skiing this winter and the fantastic healthcare system doesn't approve the surgery to fix it - he is too old and they ran out of funding this year for such surgeries in this community. And told him, next year(s) his case wouldn't get any prioritization as well. He gets gymnastics and will be lame for the rest of his life... but hey, he can still walk. So where is the problem. Instead of being mad and fighting he just resigns and says "oh, that's fine". Very anecdotal as well, but sums up my experience with Swedish mentality. And obviously people who travel by train based on some political or sociological agenda for sure will rate a train higher than e.g. a flight which goes against all they believe in.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Best example is my neighbour. Mid 30s, totally crushed is knee skiing this winter and the fantastic healthcare system doesn't approve the surgery to fix it - he is too old and they ran out of funding this year for such surgeries in this community. And told him, next year(s) his case wouldn't get any prioritization as well. He gets gymnastics and will be lame for the rest of his life... but hey, he can still walk. So where is the problem.
We have similar situation in DK. A friend of mine (mid 40's) had a heart attack on a business trip to US and got a balloon operation the next day in US through the travel insurance. It's now 2 years ago, and he hasn't been able to get a single followup consultation in DK because he wasn't operated in DK.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bluemarble
10 days ago, on a Hamburg > Fredericia (DK) train, the family of 4 sitting next to me in 1st class was Swedish, on a trip from Amsterdam to Stockholm (the direct Hamburg > Copenhagen route was out of service for track work). They fell to talking with a Canadian couple opposite, and mentioned the concept. This brought on a compartment-wide conversation, and 9 of the 11 passengers in the compartment (including myself, coming from Paris — indeed, all except the Canadian couple) mentioned it as a factor in having chosen the train. Purely anecdotal, of course... but "flight shaming" is clearly "a thing." Sweden is even studying the re-introduction of night "Hotel trains" to Germany (the only way in which rail travel can be time-competitive with flying over a long distance).

Night trains between Sweden and Germany have been considered long before this “flight shaming” hype came into being. Veolia/snalltaget have been in and out with consideration for seasonal rail service to get between the countries, and it had nothing to do with “flight shaming”.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Night trains between Sweden and Germany have been considered long before this “flight shaming” hype came into being. Veolia/snalltaget have been in and out with consideration for seasonal rail service to get between the countries, and it had nothing to do with “flight shaming”.
You are talking about the seasonal, 3-days-a-week, Malmo - Berlin train, with couchettes and coaches, no sleeping cars. Best qualified as "cute" — it is even loaded onto a boat!

I am talking about this: "The Swedish government announced Sunday that it will fund the creation of overnight train services from Sweden to the European mainland."
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...l-free/586228/

Last edited by bluemarble; Jul 9, 2019 at 4:09 pm Reason: Incomplete / erroneous link
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by highupinthesky

Just a few random comments.

Japan-agree with your assessment.

Singapore-how can one really discuss trains in Singapore? Yes, it is a country but in reality it is a city with a metro system. I don't classify that in the same league as a country with a large train network.
Australia-I defer to your knowledge, but I will say I was in Perth earlier in the year and their train system there, or at least the ones I took, seemed pleasant enough, were on time and the price was reasonable (This was interurban travel only).

You want terrible trains? Come to Canada. Abysmal is the only word I can think of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.