Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SK2751
It would be exactly the same for me. Often it is better to suffer lower quality than ask for permission. People making exceptions to the rules all the time are looked upon here ...
Speaking as one who often checks up on these things, the problem with most travel policies is the lack of a clear definition of who can approve J instead of a required Y and under what specific circumstances. Which in reality means no one can approve it, and everyone gets in to trouble afterwards.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK2751
It would be exactly the same for me. Often it is better to suffer lower quality than ask for permission. People making exceptions to the rules all the time are looked upon here ...
Mr. was very happy to ask for permission because he hasn't done anything wrong (way within the corporate travel rules), his superior was shocked when she saw that he (I) was able to fly business for the price of economy.

What I don't understand is that his corporate travel had no trouble book someone a ticket that's 4000 DKK more (much better connection - and that person can do it for 4000 DKK less) compared to Mr.'s (he had to change 2 times and arrive in the US past midnight and the ticket cost was 6000 DKK) for another business trip just because it's a economy. That expensive connection doesn't violate corporate policy and they seem to only concerned about their employees getting more without extra cost. It's the very same people refused to try to book him on business for the same cost as an economy ticket (they did after several back and forth emails) - I thought the aim for corporate travel agents are to save cost for the companies they serve.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:32 pm

When I read (and hear) how utterly rubbish some businesses are when it comes to staff travel, I feel lucky enough that, despite spending a ridiculous amount of time between airports, planes & hotels during my various assignments and indeed constantly away from home, at least we have a robust travel SOP in place (this includes business class for short/medium haul in certain cases). With over 200 flights a year, you don’t want to be wasting your time in getting approvals and other red-tape crap as it’s all set in the SOP and we have a very smart booking system, with minimal involvement from the corporate travel agent. Possibly amongst the very few perks of working in the big pharma

G
SK2751 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Mr. is working for a company group that was branched out from its pharma part. He said the pharma part has even worse travel policy.

Basically the rule of thumb is everyone flies economy except CEOs, and if you have medical reason with proper documentation that you can sit through a long haul flight then you may fly plus.

Fortunately he doesn't travel much and his boss has to go a lot more often and she is restricted by these idiotic regulations (need approval for a better seat even though it doesn't cost the company a dime more). However Mr. said the travel rule is different if an employee spends more time in a hotel then his home.

This company is not even the worst, the one before forces everyone on DY/LCC, unless they don't fly to where they need to be (then they allowed them to use sas). He had a colleague that's 190cm and he said he was totally cramped into his seat (he quited partially because of that). They used to include fast track with DY but they took that away a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Mr. said the travel rule is different if an employee spends more time in a hotel then his home
Yes, that sums it up nicely (i.e. the business I work for has a similar approach): without going into boring details, those (like myself) who spend at least 6 months in a calendar year out on ‘overseas assignments’ are granted a number of perks which range from ad-hoc annual leave entitlements (meaning more holidays basically) to business class travel even on short haul (it is worth noting that travel in such circumstances is largely confined to going back home for the weekend basically, whenever possible needless to say, meaning that if you’re working on a project with a CMO in Santiago de Chile then you will not be going back to Europe that often but you will be subject to different rules altogether e.g. 8 weeks away—2 weeks home and so on). Not exactly my idea of fun but, as my close family puts it (whenever I attempt to complain): “You’ve always dreamed to travel for work, now get on with it”.

G
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Not exactly my idea of fun but, as my close family puts it (whenever I attempt to complain): “You’ve always dreamed to travel for work, now get on with it”.
Avicii was probably told much of the same sort of thing about his musical business pursuits that involved beaucoup travel too.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Avicii was probably told much of the same sort of thing about his musical business pursuits that involved beaucoup travel too
Surely he wasn't complaining about his 'payslip', though

(R.I.P.)

G
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Surely he wasn't complaining about his 'payslip', though

(R.I.P.)

G
It sounded like his getting paid a lot for his music ended up meaning he paid with his life due to the anxiety that came with his travel schedule and shows. And then he went over the edge while away abroad on vacation.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:06 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
As some might have noticed (by my frequent posting about mileage runs for SAS Gold status) I have now managed to receive this status (girly scream of excitement), which means I'm allowed to gift one silver status! Now my only friend who lives in Scandinavia doesn't need it, so I thought I'd ask on here if anybody has any interest in a silver card!
It's really useless when you're not flying SAS or don't live in scandinavia and the benefits are rather dim so I don't expect many takers, but who knows, maybe you, yes you! are in urgent need of a silver card! Just let me know if you're interested.

Both cards gone now, sorry.

Last edited by Nick Art; Feb 21, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

For US-bound SAS flights' passengers who happen to get PreCheck for the SAS flight, have you managed to do online check-in and get a mobile phone boarding pass for the SAS flight entirely via the app when flying to the US on SAS? It not working from the start seems to be a problem I keep facing ever since I seem to get TSA PreCheck on all my SAS flights to/from the US. My workaround has been to use a "desktop" browser to check-in and get a PDF boarding pass first; and that's better than when SAS used to make always do when I first started getting TSA PreCheck SAS boarding passes for my SK flights back to the US, which was to have to visit an SK-staffed check-in counter to get my boarding passes for the US.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:08 am

TSA PreCheck or not, I never was able to get a mobile boarding pass from SK for a US bound flight in the last 2 or 3 years...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Same, can't get US-bound digital BPs from SK, returning it works from LAX for some reason but never from ORD (I religiously avoid EWR).

The PDF trick works in ORD even if the staff tells you it doesn't (I have to convince them to let me show them every time and minds will be blown).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Same, can't get US-bound digital BPs from SK, returning it works from LAX for some reason but never from ORD (I religiously avoid EWR).

The PDF trick works in ORD even if the staff tells you it doesn't (I have to convince them to let me show them every time and minds will be blown).
I have some mobile phone digital boarding passes for ORD-CPH but I think I got those after I did the OLCI to get a PDF boarding pass.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

Why do you avoid EWR? (just out of curiosity). I am an odd visitor in ORD and EWR and have not really developed a big distinction between them. Except perhaps that I liked the SK lounge in EWR much more than the UA lounges I tend to land in at ORD.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Its just a ...... airport in a terrible area with more tedious immigration routines and poor logistics around the place. I'm not saying ORD is great but it has a Hilton adjacent to the domestic terminals with a nice steakhouse so its a less terrible place to overnight. I do appreciate LAX most but it doesn't make sense unless my destination is either LAX or SFO for a lot of travel.

Most of my US travel (90%+) is West Coast or Mid-West so EWR is never a convenient location to transfer either, the reduced flight time to Europe is also inconvenient on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.