Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS must be thrilled that Norwegian is pulling out of long-haul flying from ARN and from CPH and from March 2020, it's going to be gone in this way.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:21 am

It did cost SAS and their start alliance friends a lot of money dumping prices for several years on NA routes.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
It did cost SAS and their start alliance friends a lot of money dumping prices for several years on NA routes.
Norwegian will continue transatlantic operations from OSL, so there will still be some competition. And in their press release it is mentioned that they are considering switching to more transatlantic operations from "continental" Europe. But yes, SAS is likely happy now, in the short term atleast.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superrman
Norwegian will continue transatlantic operations from OSL, so there will still be some competition. And in their press release it is mentioned that they are considering switching to more transatlantic operations from "continental" Europe. But yes, SAS is likely happy now, in the short term atleast.
Norwegian has been cutting back on other continental European long-haul service too. I doubt that they will get back to their historical peak capacity levels for TATL flying anytime soon (if ever) on their own metal.

SAS must be loving it. Consumers should be concerned, as SAS will make this about consumers paying more while getting less for it in the main. The final nail in the coffin of good value for consumers flying TATL to/from Scandinavia will be any additional governmental waivers and favors SAS gets for colluding with TATL-flying Star Alliance carriers or allowing it to be combined with another major legacy major flying TATL.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Norwegian has been cutting back on other continental European long-haul service too. I doubt that they will get back to their historical peak capacity levels for TATL flying anytime soon. SAS must be loving it.
The days of historical peak capacity for anything in Norwegian are long gone. "Profitability, not growth" has been the mantra for a while now
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Hope DY will re-introduce long haul out of CPH again - I really miss those SEK 2000 TATL tickets (that was with free checked bag so as *G = 2 checked bags)
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Hope DY will re-introduce long haul out of CPH again - I really miss those SEK 2000 TATL tickets (that was with free checked bag so as *G = 2 checked bags)
I doubt DY will return with long haul to CPH anytime soon. But you will probably see quite attractive prices from Norwegian trying to route people through OSL and LGW. So SK will not be completely off the hook when it comes to offering attractive prices. Though the 2000 SEK ones are probaly going to be rare for a while.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:49 am

DY has now some really funny routes like SFO-CDG.

Some colleagues tried it, at $350 for the r/t booked 4 weeks in advance. Probably some introductory pricing, but still..

AF probably hates that
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fassy
DY has now some really funny routes like SFO-CDG.

Some colleagues tried it, at $350 for the r/t booked 4 weeks in advance. Probably some introductory pricing, but still..

AF probably hates that
They do hate it, and at the same time they are having a pool running on how soon that pricing level of pricing will lead to insolvency of Norwegian.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They do hate it, and at the same time they are having a pool running on how soon that pricing level of pricing will lead to insolvency of Norwegian.
Maybe the move to CDG and doing things like SFO-CDG will help postpone insolvency of Norwegian, sort of like SK's adjustments of service to the the US helped postpone SK's insolvency too.

Given the demand for US-Paris and Northern California-Paris travels in particular, I suspect that Norwegian will do better initially with SFO-CDG than it did initially with US-CPH and US-ARN. And given what AF and UA charge for non-stop economy class on this route for a large part of the year, Norwegian can probably do itself and consumers a favor by doing SFO-CDG. It just won't see me on it unless I'm desperate.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I doubt DY will return with long haul to CPH anytime soon. But you will probably see quite attractive prices from Norwegian trying to route people through OSL and LGW. So SK will not be completely off the hook when it comes to offering attractive prices. Though the 2000 SEK ones are probaly going to be rare for a while.
SAS Black Friday offer is more than double of SEK 2000 for TATL without checked bag.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:53 pm

With the recent changes to A3's M&B, I'm asking myself whether I should just ditch my membership in that program and go all-in for EB, but a crucial question for me is how quickly I can gain *G with EB.

My qualification period is May-Apr. I'm wondering whether I should upgrade my Amex Premium to Elite to get the 20K status points. But my question is this: If I upgrade to Amex Elite in January, will the status points be credited immediately, and then annually in January? Or will they be credited in the first month of my EB membership year, i.e. annually in May?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
SAS Black Friday offer is more than double of SEK 2000 for TATL without checked bag.
Being the old school American that I am, I regret that the post-Thanksgiving sales on Black Friday (black as in to be profitable for the stores) have eaten into Thanksgiving by starting earlier, lasting longer and becoming ever more gimmicky. And I am no fan of this stuff spreading to Scandinavia too. The Scandinavians calling this “Black Week” in Scandinavia seems to miss the boat that such talk in English traditionally sounds like a week of mourning for the dead.

Weren’t post-Christmas, Boxer Day sales more the Scandinavian version of Black Friday in the US?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedChili
With the recent changes to A3's M&B, I'm asking myself whether I should just ditch my membership in that program and go all-in for EB, but a crucial question for me is how quickly I can gain *G with EB.

My qualification period is May-Apr. I'm wondering whether I should upgrade my Amex Premium to Elite to get the 20K status points. But my question is this: If I upgrade to Amex Elite in January, will the status points be credited immediately, and then annually in January? Or will they be credited in the first month of my EB membership year, i.e. annually in May?

Thanks for any advice!
How about wiping out your SK point balance, asking SK to delete your EB account and then open a new account to time things better? As someone who doesn’t care about getting SK*G for life, that is what I would try to do.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How about wiping out your SK point balance, asking SK to delete your EB account and then open a new account to time things better? As someone who doesn’t care about getting SK*G for life, that is what I would try to do.
Unfortunately, a bad idea, as I have A LOT of points in that account, and a 2-4-1 voucher valid until next December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.