Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Wet Leases [merged discussions & experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Wet Leases [merged discussions & experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:58 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Its a demand matter primarily, feeder flights to the EU3 hubs are also full all the time and Scandinavia doesn't have enough US routes to offload passengers from hubs like ORD.

Last but not least, SAS doesn't operate SK945/SK946 7 days a week at the moment so SAS is forcing Swedes to go to CPH for some dates or alternative routes.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Its a demand matter primarily, feeder flights to the EU3 hubs are also full all the time and Scandinavia doesn't have enough US routes to offload passengers from hubs like ORD.

Last but not least, SAS doesn't operate SK945/SK946 7 days a week at the moment so SAS is forcing Swedes to go to CPH for some dates or alternative routes.
That makes perfect sense. I was shocked at how full the flight was. Having flown to/through ORD quite a bit in the past I've never seen anything like it.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MrCharming
I was quite shocked that business was complete sold out 1 month before departure. Has the ORD route become this premium intensive? Or has everyone that bought a plus ticket been bumped up for free as that airplane doesn't have Plus?
I think the Hi Fly aircraft has more business seats ironically than the traditional SAS aircraft used on this route.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does anyone else here get the sense that the operators of these SAS wet leases tend to be more likely to let the cabin temperature end up being more uncomfortably warm pre-take-off (and even thereafter) than mainline SAS? Even when they are running late and doing “immediate” turns, I feel like they are warmer on the ground than regular old SAS.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I don't ever see SAS plug in ground AC the way US airlines do even though the equipment is available at some gates. Not limited to SK in Europe, KL and AF don't do it very often either. The wet leases are also operated with crew from warmer countries so they might not deem the cabin to be as warm as the locals do.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I don't ever see SAS plug in ground AC the way US airlines do even though the equipment is available at some gates. Not limited to SK in Europe, KL and AF don't do it very often either. The wet leases are also operated with crew from warmer countries so they might not deem the cabin to be as warm as the locals do.
Given the cabin temperatures on the ground seems more likely to hit me as being higher with the SAS wet leases than with AF/KL and SAS mainline flights at the very same airports when outside temperatures are about the same, perhaps it is that the SAS wet lease operators are more inclined to running the summer flights warmer in the sky too.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the cabin temperatures on the ground seems more likely to hit me as being higher with the SAS wet leases than with AF/KL and SAS mainline flights at the very same airports when outside temperatures are about the same, perhaps it is that the SAS wet lease operators are more inclined to running the summer flights warmer in the sky too.
Is there a cost saving in not using the cooled air from the ground facilities of the airport?
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Is there a cost saving in not using the cooled air from the ground facilities of the airport?
At least at some airports, aircraft air conditioning units (for ground use) come with a premium ground handling service fee and/or are limited to a subset of stands.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
At least at some airports, aircraft air conditioning units (for ground use) come with a premium ground handling service fee and/or are limited to a subset of stands.
There is the answer why the wetlease companies don't like to use them. Premium fee....
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, EBG
Avoid SmartLynx if you can. Absolutely terrible with useless, incompetent crew.
sydunipete likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sueco6
Avoid SmartLynx if you can. Absolutely terrible with useless, incompetent crew.
Xfly has at least one ATR prop plane doing runs for SAS. For SAS, is SmartLynx sticking to jets?
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Xfly has at least one ATR prop plane doing runs for SAS. For SAS, is SmartLynx sticking to jets?
SmartLynx only owns jets, so they would need to be sticking to jets.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SmartLynx only owns jets, so they would need to be sticking to jets.
XFly have 5 or 6 x ATR72-600. As of today, 4 are active for SAS in the latest SAS colours (blue tail, extending down into the rear part of the fuselage). They are ES-ATC, ES-ATD, ES-ATH and ES-ATJ. Another (ES-ATL) is working for TAP out of Lisbon. A 6th, ES-ATG, has been active for SAS as recently as this year but not for a couple of months. It's got older SAS colours (blue tail, white fuselage) but no logos.

SmartLynx use A320. They're usually easy to spot around SAS hubs because they are devoid of any decals or logos.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you return an aircraft to the lessor that is the end of the story. Nice to see the lessor sticking to their position. ^

Hi Fly has some decent aircraft in their fleet, but I doubt they match the SK A359 interior...
Looking at the UA website, I see this?!

Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Looking at the UA website, I see this?!

The J seats are basically the same as SK, no PY, and reportedly Y is about same comfort level. CPH-ORD-CPH is a wetlease from HiFly to compensate for fleet being too small for the schedule.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.