Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Various
Whatever they think I don't think they're doing a good job at it considering the financial result each year. Frankly, the new concept sounds like the new Germanwings. I have also tried AB and didn't find it bad at all. These days it seems the other passengers are what make or break intra-European flights because the airline offerings are so slim. I really hate Swedish families travelling near me. I guess it's because I understand what they're saying and SAS have a lot of these people.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by nacho
So why would one fly with SK if you can pick LX instead? Even heavily discounted LX Y gives you food and drink on board and chocolate too.
I chose Y on SK metal over SK codeshare on LX metal recently for the 100% EB (and bonus challenge) points. As *G I could eat and drink in the lounge and survive the 1-2h hops with coffee and tea, but if I didn't have any status and wasn't a crazy FT miles collector I would definitely have gone for LX where possible, so you have a very valid point.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It really depends on your travel habits, patterns and needs.

Personally, I never really missed lack of service on board. I hate eating on a short flight. It is pretty much just asking for a chance to soil your cloth. I eat in the lounge, or before/after departure/arrival. I tend to fly early morning or late night. Often the best way to use the time is actually to get a nap. I appreciate that I am not bothered with temptation of food.

The value of the food you get is always negligible in comparison to the ticket price (whether you fly Y or C). So in my travel patterns price and the smoothness of the airport experience (schedule, fast track, priority boarding, seat pre-selection, etc) are the main decisive factors for me. Cabinn experience on short haul is almost a non-issue for me (except, as someone hinted, I do not like cabins filled with charter-like loud crowd).

Having said that, LX is often a good choice on these parameters for EBG, as the experience is comparable to SK (on the parameters I care about). I almost never choose them (maybe once a year) because their schedule on my destinations is usually less competitive.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
So why would one fly with SK if you can pick LX instead? Even heavily discounted LX Y gives you food and drink on board and chocolate too.
If you are EB member then SK will give you 100% points. LX will not unless you pay a full fare (or close to).
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by wazow

Personally, I never really missed lack of service on board. I hate eating on a short flight. It is pretty much just asking for a chance to soil your cloth. I eat in the lounge, or before/after departure/arrival. I tend to fly early morning or late night. Often the best way to use the time is actually to get a nap. I appreciate that I am not bothered with temptation of food.
I wouldn't be surprised if SAS decided to quote you once they decide to further "enhance" their service and offer even less value for money in comparison to their competitors. Most passengers (i) have no access to lounges and (ii) pay for their tickets out of their pockets. What could make them choose SAS over low cost carriers or reliable, full service airlines?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by BHIL
If you are EB member then SK will give you 100% points. LX will not unless you pay a full fare (or close to).
Really? With UA Mileage Plus you get 100% miles for any LX booking class.

I guess the big carrot is the 200% miles for EB with Plus, but most of the time you are paying pretty much the same old business class fares, and I found that LX offers discounted business (when available) at the same price as a normal Go fare on SK for ARN-ZRH. Surely, EB gives at least 200% points for an LX business fare?

And when you are paying SEK 7000 one way, it's criminal to not at least block the middle seats. Pathetic. Especially with the horrible seat pitch on all shorthaul aircraft now that the MD-80s are gone.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by gnaget
Really? With UA Mileage Plus you get 100% miles for any LX booking class.
Yes it used to be, but not the case anymore. We are all MP members and we had to bank our LX flights to OZ - they are the only ones that gives the most mileage for discounted LX Y.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:08 am

Yes it used to be, but not the case anymore. We are all MP members and we had to bank our LX flights to OZ - they are the only ones that gives the most mileage for discounted LX Y.
I think you are mistaken: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=297

I am not an expert on LX booking classes but that seems like a comprehensive list. As you can see, premium LX tickets give additional earnings since, so that it matches what UA offers on LH.

For LH, UA only excludes very heavily discounted tickets for intra-Europe:
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
I think you are mistaken: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=297

I am not an expert on LX booking classes but that seems like a comprehensive list. As you can see, premium LX tickets give additional earnings since, so that it matches what UA offers on LH.

For LH, UA only excludes very heavily discounted tickets for intra-Europe:
http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298
My tickets for that leg was LX 'L' = according to the UA chart = 0, OZ= 70% of the miles.

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=CLUB15200

LX 'L' is a special fare ticket and I think it's fairly 'newish' (from 2010 or so).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:27 am

My tickets for that leg was LX 'L' = according to the UA chart = 0, OZ= 70% of the miles.

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...?fid=CLUB15200

LX 'L' is a special fare ticket and I think it's fairly 'newish' (from 2010 or so).
Same as LH with L. I checked ARN-ZRH. A SEK 700 one way all-in fare is in K class, which is also excluded by UA. The typical discounted saver fares (SEK 1500ish) books in S or T class, which is 100% with UA.

Actually, SK has the cheapest flight on LX metal for twice the price also in booking class K on the same day. Not the same flight!

The typical Go Savers are SEK 2000 on SK's website vs. SEK 1500 on LX's.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by krzysz
I wouldn't be surprised if SAS decided to quote you once they decide to further "enhance" their service and offer even less value for money in comparison to their competitors. Most passengers (i) have no access to lounges and (ii) pay for their tickets out of their pockets. What could make them choose SAS over low cost carriers or reliable, full service airlines?
I pay 90% of my flights out of my pocket ... I do my EBG qualification on personal expense. This is precisely why I never take the food on board as an argument. Price is a much bigger factor. The food you get on board is worth less than 5 EUR in a supermarket downstairs.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:56 pm

Here's a review in Danish with some people taking the last business class flights and returning in "Plus".

http://politiken.dk/turengaartil/rej...usiness-class/

My examples and data from ARN-ZRH show that SAS does not offer lower prices than a traditional airline even with codeshares.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:59 am

I hope they will see this is crap and turn around 180 degrees in 6 month. But I doubt it... once managers decide to try something amazing new they will stick to it until the end.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
I hope they will see this is crap and turn around 180 degrees in 6 month. But I doubt it... once managers decide to try something amazing new they will stick to it until the end.
Or until SAS goes bankrupt again
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:01 am

which would be the end - and probably the start for a LH expansion to the north

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.