Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Arlanda Express and SJ trains not running to/from ARN until 07JUN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arlanda Express and SJ trains not running to/from ARN until 07JUN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
After further review, I've decided that Arlanda Express is only a good deal if you either need to get into town ASAP or you are staying at an on-airport hotel. It probably helps that my kids are older now.
Or have a good deal at a hotel in town that is short walking distance to Arlanda Express. Or need to get to the airport ASAP from town and don’t want to gamble on traffic.

Arlanda Express is temporarily running on Track 10 at Stockholm C, and Arlanda Express have closed off the usual path I take to get between say the Emirates embassy and the Central Station. So the Arlanda Express’s return to being in service is an inconvenience for me under the current arrangement. It’s quite amazing how many temporary workers they have hanging around to make sure to try to redirect people to Arlanda Express. I think there were 6-8 people hired per shift just for this job until some day in August when the train is to get back to its usual track.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 14, 2023 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s quite amazing how many temporary workers they have hanging around to make sure to try to redirect people to Arlanda Express. I think there were 6-8 people hired per shift just for this job until some day in August when the train is to get back to its usual track.
Which is a reflection of the profitability of their extortional pricing. Lack of employees is the number one problem in just about every Swedish business, leaving things like service and customer satisfaction to be desired but the airport express train does not have this problem. One of many strange hypocrisy's in Sweden.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Which is a reflection of the profitability of their extortional pricing. Lack of employees is the number one problem in just about every Swedish business, leaving things like service and customer satisfaction to be desired but the airport express train does not have this problem. One of many strange hypocrisy's in Sweden.
And that’s on top of the usual (excessive?) employee contingent for the summer at the airport and in the city.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: EBG
as I understand it they are all practikants, the state offers them for free for a trial period. Lots of swedish companies rely on them hugely. Especially the banking sector apparently.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nussle
as I understand it they are all practikants, the state offers them for free for a trial period. Lots of swedish companies rely on them hugely. Especially the banking sector apparently.
Sure, because the same state lets unions price their workforce out of participation.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:05 am
Suspended

Sure, because the same state lets unions price their workforce out of participation.
Since Arlanda Express is probably not in the business of maximizing its own payroll expenses, not sure how it would be that the unions are pricing workers out of participation for this “assistance”/“guidance” work of a temporary nature that lacks job security — by way of being so temporary — and yet has ended up “excessively” staffed with workers.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:40 pm

Just looked into next week and ul/sl trains from uppsala still not stopping in ARN.

this is beyond a normal train crash as it must be getting up to 3 months now.

interestingly if I wind forward to early August the UL app is still saying no trains to ARN.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 5:26 am

Ok, just an update so far, trains from the north.

SL trains can start running again after October 8. SJ and Mälartåg stops at Arlanda C now.

801 is still running from Uppsala and a car park outside Knivsta.

From Marsta is a bus to the airport.

Yesterday the economy parking (Beta P2) is absolutly full, the busses to and from are packed to the point where folk cannot get on.

As a side POV, dont use Aegean airways, got denied boarding yesterday and ended up driving back home. Waiting for the response now.
copperred likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 5:41 am

I thought you guys were exaggerating on the amount of people Arlanda Express hired to promote the service but Stockholm Central has so many pale yellow shirts I thought a new cult was recruiting.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 5:49 am

Not having to pay for all the employees makes it a "hey, give me more" mentality.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:19 am

I guess some of the employees showing people how to find Arlanda Express at track 10 normally staff the ticket office of Arlanda Express which is temporarly closed due to reconstruction.

An interesting thing to notice if one likes to travel to Arlanda by train from Stockholm C somewhat cheaper than by Arlanda Express. Since SL-trains are not running to/from Arlanda until sometime in October, because of the accident in May, one can travel to/from Arlanda on SJ Regional trains, i.e. not Intercity nor Fast trains ("Snabbtåg" in Swedish) and on all Mälartåg's trains with a valid SL-ticket. Meaning, if you have a valid SL card you pay only the station fee at Arlanda C of 132 kr - if you don't have a valid SL ticket you have to purchase that as well for 39 kr before boarding the train, meaning 171 kr in total. Trains with SJ Regional or Mälartåg to/from Arlanda are not as frequent as Arlanda Express but during most time of the day there are at least two per hour, sometimes more. Late evenings there are none. The journey with SJ Regional or Mälartåg between Stockholm C and Arlanda is the same as with Arlanda Express.

This information is posted on SL:s website (in Swedish only): "Biljettsamverkan med SJ Regionaltåg och Mälartåg gäller mellan Uppsala C och Stockholm C i båda riktningarna. Det betyder att SL-resenärer med giltig SL-biljett får åka med SJ Regionaltåg och Mälartåg på den sträckan. Vissa av dessa tåg stannar vid Arlanda."

Last edited by SK989; Aug 1, 2023 at 7:29 am
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:34 am

As far as I can ascertain trains from the north are still not stopping in arlanda. All Sl trains seem to go via marsta.

any idea why? Should we ever expect a train service again to the underground stations in arlanda from the north.

on the bright side iv got quite good at finding ways to get there and it's worked out cheaper and not a lot longer.

so maybe I should not care.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
The most recent news (a little over a month ago) was that the SL commuter trains between Stockholm and Uppsala would resume stopping at Arlanda at the earliest 9 October due to larger repairs than initially anticipated.
For a while there was only one operational track but I don't think that's the case because Arlanda Express is back to full schedule.

SL info, I only find a Swedish version.
https://sl.se/aktuellt/trafikforandr...ill-arlanda-c/
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:34 pm

This morning I took the train from Tobo, changed in uppsala and got off in Märsta changed to the bus.

took 1hour 40min station to T5 and cost was nice.

if I am to be honest I would prefer this method stays as it works and it's cheap. It's only a 10 minute ride from Märsta to the T5. It drops you off right where you need to be.

I save about 180Sek and ten minutes over the old system.

I guess when they fix this the train from uppsala will no longer go via Märsta.... pity because if the truth be told I think it's just as good and half the price of going via the station in arlanda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.