Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Arlanda Express and SJ trains not running to/from ARN until 07JUN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:40 am
Moderator: SAS
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

Just a small warning for anybody travelling to Stockholm before June 7th, the trains to and from the airport are not running due to an accident.

The taxi-stand and the Flygbussen queue are completely overrun so plan with enough time.

Small tipp: The queue for the Flygbussen to Lilieholmen is tiny and it brings you close enough to the city to take the trains or a taxi.

As far as I'm concerned the way the airport/SJ/Arlanda Express are dealing with this is, or perhaps more precisely, not dealing with this, just shows how badly the situation is currently managed. There is barely any information, certainly not proactive and the remaining options are completely overrun as the infrastructure is just not built to handle this volume. Also, be prepared to be utterly ripped off by the taxi drivers as they will no longer honor the fixed price and will punch the meter up to the max.

It is interesting to see how much traffic was moved with the Arlanda Express and how badly the infrastructure suffers when it goes out of order.
AutismoSupremo and yscleo like this.

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 2, 2023 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sort of got started discussing this here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35294716-post7362.html

It’s been out of service since early Saturday morning.

Bolt — sort of like Uber — worked pretty well this evening to get to and from Arlanda by car.

In that thread, there was some reference to there not being much demand for Arlanda Express. Apparently that is not the take of everybody after this nearly week long outage.

All I get from Arlanda Express in terms of info is that they will refund.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:46 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I thought this topic would deserve its own thread and I was planning to move the posts discussing this in the café here, but I now realized that I haven't moved them :P

I got burned pretty badly by one of the taxis that ended up charging me over 2500 SEK as they refused to honour the fixed price once we arrived at the destination... Go figure, so I am slightly more unamused by this whole mess. :P
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:32 am
Suspended

I was surprised that there was no thread about this and no discussion for many of the days this service has been out of service since the track/train incident early last Saturday morning. Hopefully, more become aware of this before arriving at or heading to ARN.

That unregulated taxi price paid sounds like you were subject to highway larceny. Did you agree on a fixed final taxi fare price with the driver before driving off in the taxi? I can’t even trust the supposed flat fare displays on Swedish taxis unless reading the fine print — and even then there could be unwelcome surprises. Bolt was under 600 SEK for the cheaper option, and no surprises.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Personally I'd just take the bus to Märsta and train from there, unless I'm under a time pressure.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
Personally I'd just take the bus to Märsta and train from there, unless I'm under a time pressure.
Bus 583 from ARN is pretty empty most often — and best boarded before it gets to T2 on the way to Marsta— but there are times when it can get pretty packed and luggage an issue in a way that luggage isn’t with Flygbussen.

There are a lot of taxis that hang at out ARN just waiting to rip off with crazy high prices just because they can prey upon traveler’s unfamiliarity or desperation. Even over a decade ago, I would sometimes run into cabbies at ARN who wanted to charge me 1200+ SEK for a ride that would have then typically cost closer to half of that at most when sticking to non-predatory taxi operators.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I've always felt ripped off by taxies in Stockholm. Once I told the driver I didn't want to buy the cab, just ride in it for a while!

But unless time is really tight I catch the bus to Marsta and Pendletag from there.
GUWonder, FFlash and yscleo like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I've always felt ripped off by taxies in Stockholm. Once I told the driver I didn't want to buy the cab, just ride in it for a while!

But unless time is really tight I catch the bus to Marsta and Pendletag from there.
Ever since SL started accepting contactless bank cards and ApplePay and also now allows purchases of tickets on the SL app, taking bus 583 and the commuter train is easier than it used to be. But for people with a lot of luggage or some mobility issues, Flygbussen is at times the better idea of trying to get the right balance of value for money, time and comfort.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Ever since SL started accepting contactless bank cards and ApplePay and also now allows purchases of tickets on the SL app, taking bus 583 and the commuter train is easier than it used to be. But for people with a lot of luggage or some mobility issues, Flygbussen is at times the better idea of trying to get the right balance of value for money, time and comfort.
Also for outsiders, like me. I wouldn't have known the 583 hack ... I did pay for Arlanda Express in the past. If you are coming in from another city this seems the only clearly advertised option.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm a person who pays extra to spend as little time as possible on public transportation. Fortunately, there are usually good deals on Arlanda Express that make traveling with a family pretty inexpensive.

This trip, we need to head up to Uppsala once we land on Thursday. Are north-bound trains affected by this outage, too?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm a person who pays extra to spend as little time as possible on public transportation. Fortunately, there are usually good deals on Arlanda Express that make traveling with a family pretty inexpensive.

This trip, we need to head up to Uppsala once we land on Thursday. Are north-bound trains affected by this outage, too?
The trains to Uppsala were impacted at least initially, and instead it was off from ARN to Marsta by bus to go to Uppsala by train or take a bus or taxi from ARN. But word yesterday was June 7th should be normal with both these train services at ARN.

Originally Posted by SK2751
Also for outsiders, like me. I wouldn't have known the 583 hack ... I did pay for Arlanda Express in the past. If you are coming in from another city this seems the only clearly advertised option.
You’re definitely not alone in having taken Arlanda Express thinking it was the only non-taxi way to get into the city from the airport. Know lots of people who didn’t realize even for a long time that there were other options beside Arlanda Express and taxi. Even Stockholm locals often haven’t known there was a non-taxi, non-Arlanda Express, non-flygbussen way to get between central Stockholm and the airport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 5, 2023 at 4:08 pm
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nick Art
I got burned pretty badly by one of the taxis that ended up charging me over 2500 SEK as they refused to honour the fixed price once we arrived at the destination... Go figure, so I am slightly more unamused by this whole mess. :P
I sure hope you both didn't pay by charging the fare back on your credit card and report this person to the police and transport authority? Those fraudulent taxi drivers are a plague in Stockholm and the exact reason you should never use regular taxis and always default to Uber. That is a 500% premium and pure fraud.

We've successfully had two license pulled of these parasites that took advantages of international colleagues. Report them here: https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/contact-us/
sydunipete and yscleo like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:31 am
Suspended

Thankfully, Arlanda Express is back in service. Hopefully, no more accidents.
yscleo and view-with-a-room like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:37 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was surprised that there was no thread about this and no discussion for many of the days this service has been out of service since the track/train incident early last Saturday morning. Hopefully, more become aware of this before arriving at or heading to ARN.

That unregulated taxi price paid sounds like you were subject to highway larceny. Did you agree on a fixed final taxi fare price with the driver before driving off in the taxi? I can’t even trust the supposed flat fare displays on Swedish taxis unless reading the fine print — and even then there could be unwelcome surprises. Bolt was under 600 SEK for the cheaper option, and no surprises.
I was planning to take the Flygbussen with the family, but on the promise of "standard pricing" mother jumped into a taxi and dragged us along against my protests and my better judgement.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I sure hope you both didn't pay by charging the fare back on your credit card and report this person to the police and transport authority? Those fraudulent taxi drivers are a plague in Stockholm and the exact reason you should never use regular taxis and always default to Uber. That is a 500% premium and pure fraud.

We've successfully had two license pulled of these parasites that took advantages of international colleagues. Report them here: https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/contact-us/
Thank you for this. I was planning on writing this off as a learning experience, but based on this information I will be pursuing this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I was planning to take the Flygbussen with the family, but on the promise of "standard pricing" mother jumped into a taxi and dragged us along against my protests and my better judgement.
Due to a change of schedule and a related rush, I’m back to using Arlanda Express this moment. I dislike paying this much for such a short ride, but it gets me around faster than the alternatives. The plus is no dealing with negotiating with taxi drivers and then whatever happens on the roads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.