Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go: Devalution in EuroBonus earnings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I am less worried about that, since it is the partner airline that pays and not SK. Similiar to Avis/Hertz/etc. paying for the points. But sure, also the other airlines want to save money, so the earnings aren't carved in stone.
The partner airlines pay a certain amount of money, but in the end it is SK that translates that in to specific number of points going to the account

The cut from 200% on Z fares have not spread to NH, SQ, or TG. Yet.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by zeer0
SK actually does care how other *A programs credit their fares. If every other FFP offers wat more miles on most of their fares, SK is at risk of losing members to those FFP's.

Often when airlines radically reduce earning like this, they will request partners to also credit less for those fares, so members can't be as easily incentivized to flee.
I believe we agree with you all in all on this but we were talking about crediting other *A airlines to SK EB.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The partner airlines pay a certain amount of money, but in the end it is SK that translates that in to specific number of points going to the account

The cut from 200% on Z fares have not spread to NH, SQ, or TG. Yet.
Actually when SQ revamped its fare structure end of last year the earnings in D and Z dropped to 150% in EB.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I believe we agree with you all in all on this but we were talking about crediting other *A airlines to SK EB.

Actually when SQ revamped its fare structure end of last year the earnings in D and Z dropped to 150% in EB.
Yikes, it already started. I guess I have not been on SQ Z recently.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy
I for once wouldn't mind revenue based earnings. That is the easiest way for a fair relationship between customer and company. Both have a fixed reward-to-Dollar-spent agreement and both know the value. On the other hand they might then also change the redemption levels to a Dollar-per-point value. So, a FFP would become just a rebate program like hotels.com is doing - with added benefits for elite members which spend enough money. Fair and square.
Fixed points-per-currency-unit earning and redeeming programs in the airline industry will have the loyalty program points subjected to more devaluation than most expect. Those points being redeemed, unlike in say the hotel space, tend to be way more likely to cannibalize real currency revenue generating space and spoil more painfully — more financially painful for the supplier — than if there was no points being redeemed for the regular revenue fruit subject to spoiling.

Fixed earning and spending loyalty program currencies in SK’s key markets won’t bring fair and square benefits for its loyalty program customers. It would be a setup for SK customers in the main to get even less for more and to be fleeced more than ever before.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That is a fair point on the reason for writing dirt cheap
The problem is though, that the 50€ alternatives are EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizz, etc. And while SK certainly have come far down in the world, they have not quite brought the suffering to those levels. Try to add in a speedy boarding, or seat a selection, to be certain that you can bring a decent sized carry on, and see what happens to the EasyJet prices. Comparing to Norwegian would be more level, but then the 30% of the price would probably mostly translate in to 30% discount compared SK or less than that.

For the Danish market it would be about 3DKK per KM driven and upwards, so the 150€ trip would clock in at around 400€. In markets where cars are less taxed, that would come in with a lower price. But still flying even on this short a distance comes in quite a bit cheaper than the car.
SK’s market mostly isn’t intra-Denmark flying. And this idea of using Danish car registration taxes to boost up the cost of driving in a car for making a comparison to flying doesn’t really fly for me, as I find driving in Denmark cheaper than driving in the other Scandinavian countries and it’s the variable costs that drive decision making when dealing with fixed costs that are already largely sunk costs. Rather it makes more sense to compare the cost of taking the bus on the roads to taking the flying bus when it comes to intra-Denmark traffic, such a tiny piece of SK’s business as it is. But since flying intra-Denmark is such a tiny segment of travel, I don’t think it really justifies this SK loyalty program devaluation.

SK is sort of getting more desperate, and it’s showing in this way. That said, this devaluation must make happy those people who are hoping to benefit from employee and employee friend/family flight benefits, as then there may be less competition (for those seats on SK flights) from SK loyalty program customers redeeming EuroBonus points.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: EBD, Avis Presidents Club, HH Gold
Originally Posted by meanie.me
Well... As Im asking myself that question after being SAS gold for 4 years...

The perks of Norwegian are still faaaaaaar off from SAS. Simply when you think of rebooking in case of .....
Redemption is still awesome, surely unless tmr morning SAS says that instead of 190k for first class they start to charge 1900000000000000000k.
Lounges are worse in PP then Star Gold.

If you have no status with SAS now, u r better off with Norwegian.
If you have miles accumulated and working towards SAS lifetime gold, u need to suck it up, hate SAS and make it work
Nevermind, found on Scandinavia Flyer. Let the games continue!
https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en/...old-membership

Care to elaborate on "If you have miles accumulated and working towards SAS lifetime gold, u need to suck it up, hate SAS and make it work"
Any place you can point towards the SAS lifetime gold?

Last edited by jerjeffr; Oct 4, 2018 at 6:06 am Reason: Found source
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by jerjeffr
Care to elaborate on "If you have miles accumulated and working towards SAS lifetime gold, u need to suck it up, hate SAS and make it work"
Any place you can point towards the SAS lifetime gold?
I think that poster is talking about those who is using youth tickets to do MR to get SK lifetime G or D, there was a post a while ago but someone called Albert on how to do MR using cheapo youth tickets for 10 years to score EBG or D for life.
jerjeffr likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Well, the timing of this is not good for me. I was looking at a light travel year at work and have private travel booked on points, so I will need to get creative on how to earn points in 2019. If partner earnings don't get adjusted quickly, I suspect I will move my flights to other *A partners in the short term. Otherwise I will start trying to route via OSL or ARN to pick up extra segments as a precaution.

In looking at my past 2 years travel history, I see that most of my work fares have been K,T and O fares when travelling long haul. I would be curious to know if other's have a similar situation with corporate fares as well. I don't think that the casual traveler cares about how many miles they earn, but I sincerely hope that SAS has considered how this might affect corporate travel. We have a lot of freedom when booking flights at work, but Concur's system only shows Light fares (rumor is SAS has not been cooperating in making other fares available) and it makes it very easy to either book another airline.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by nacho
I think that poster is talking about those who is using youth tickets to do MR to get SK lifetime G or D, there was a post a while ago but someone called Albert on how to do MR using cheapo youth tickets for 10 years to score EBG or D for life.
I seem to recall that youth long haul booked into O, which will earn next to nothing...closing that loophole.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
What's bizarre right now, is Youth tickets within Europe (O), earn more than regular GO tickets, at least when it comes to crediting to *A partner FFP's.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:53 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
That was exactly my plan! But as usual, no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force.

Originally Posted by livious
I seem to recall that youth long haul booked into O, which will earn next to nothing...closing that loophole.
Which is why I am so annoyed right now! How am I supposed to make EBG now? Certainly not by flying SAS...
Somebody think about the poor youths!

But I am sure we will adapt, evolve and survive!

They will not force us
They will stop degrading us
They will not control us
We will be victorious
Surprisingly I find the lyrics of Uprising by Muse rather fitting for this situation right now.

Last edited by Nick Art; Oct 7, 2018 at 3:11 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
If the North American example is to be followed (AC, UA, etc as well as LH, LX)--which I suspect is the consultant advice being followed--this is the beginning of further "enhancements" to the program--moving it to a revenue based recognition model. This has become the norm throughout the NA carriers. With Air Canada, it started in a similiar manner: devaluing the base mileage for local (commuter) flights and lower class fares and moved to a minimum dollar spend (on Air Canada metal) and mileage flown to achieve status. These changes were implemented over several years. Currently to achieve the equivalent of Gold you need to fly 50000 miles AND spend 4000 euros on Air Canada metal/Diamond you need to fly 100000 miles and spend 13300 euros (although the later is reduced by half if you reside outside Canada)

The "mission" behind these program enhancements is a fundamental change in philosophy: the airline's "best customers" are the highest spending (versus the most loyal).

My own suspicion (hope?) is that these program changes are part of a longer term Alliance wide initiative to equalize the programs.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by livious
Can't they get EBG by segments? So if they fly 45x in a year they can still get EBG.

Originally Posted by Nick Art

That was exactly my plan! But as usual, no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force.

Which is why I am so annoyed right now! How am I supposed to make EBG now? Certainly not by flying SAS...
Somebody think about the poor youths!

But I am sure we will adapt, evolve and survive!

Surprisingly I find the lyrics of Uprising by Muse rather fitting for this situation right now.

Maybe SAS management saw that blogger telling the whole world how to get lifetime EBD with youth tickets.

If segment qualification criteria remains the same, then the Explore Norway ticket might be an option.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Can't they get EBG by segments? So if they fly 45x in a year they can still get EBG.
That’d be a rather terrible cost/time/benefit relation. Earlier you’d be able to get Gold by only flying four to five youth longhaul return trips costing approximately 2000-2500 $.
I’m not sure you could get that many segments on SAS and wideroe metal without having to spend a lot more time flying.
Maybe SAS management saw that blogger telling the whole world how to get lifetime EBD with youth tickets.

If segment qualification criteria remains the same, then the Explore Norway ticket might be an option.
That loophole was supooedly closed two years ago, and while a few ppl repirted they received mileage and segments for all flights, others did not (only for the first and last flight).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:47 am

A question of practicality - when looking at the post-Dec 2018 booking: for SAS Go, I can't choose which booking classes I want to buy or not buy. In the case in the attached screengrab, the only SAS Go booking class I can book is T. If they are going to limit point earnings, can they at least make an option for me to book class Q, V, etc. (in the higher tier for earning)? Or am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.