Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade on Star Alliance not working

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Gold

Tried to request an upgrade using EB points on ANA from HND - SYD from the SAS website, but got an error message. Wrote to SAS customer service and was told that the Star Alliance upgrade function is not working and they do not know when it will be fixed... furthermore, they could not help request it manually as it needs to be done through their website...

Anyone used the Star Alliance upgrade function recently?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by magurin
Tried to request an upgrade using EB points on ANA from HND - SYD from the SAS website, but got an error message. Wrote to SAS customer service and was told that the Star Alliance upgrade function is not working and they do not know when it will be fixed... furthermore, they could not help request it manually as it needs to be done through their website...

Anyone used the Star Alliance upgrade function recently?
Star Alliance upgrade is not exactly very easy to achieve. Firstly, you need to be booked in a fairly high and expensive booking class, which on NH often is more expensive than booking Z outright. Secondly, award inventory needs to be available. Booking class I for upgrade to business. Unless you have already booked close to 330 days out, seeing I inventory on HND SYD is not very likely. Unless you are very lucky less than 14 days out.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:36 am

The entire website upgrade is a complete and total disaster. Though surprised they could not handle it manually, that is very poor. Suspect they are not prioritising this as they have got people (without status) waiting hours on the phone these days to speak to customer service (or a travel consultant as they are now apparently called).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: More than one
The whole Star Alliance Award system has devalued a lot over the years IMHO. Almost all airlines in the Star Alliance group have limitations on Star Alliance awards compared to their own Frequent Flyer award programs. To me this is wrong, and not something you can really blame SK for.
10 years ago I could do upgrades on LH flights in the airport using my EB points. No need for an award voucher or similar. They were able to deduct the points from my EB account directly. This is not possible anymore. :-(

The reason SK can't do the upgrade manually is most likely down to no upgrades awards being available to Star Alliance members.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by view
The entire website upgrade is a complete and total disaster. Though surprised they could not handle it manually, that is very poor. Suspect they are not prioritising this as they have got people (without status) waiting hours on the phone these days to speak to customer service (or a travel consultant as they are now apparently called).
You are so right. They complain that they loose passengers and then they make a website that look like one made by a 10 year old boy.
If you try to make hotel reservation you end in a loop with out end. Just another example
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by kkdenmark
You are so right. They complain that they loose passengers and then they make a website that look like one made by a 10 year old boy.
If you try to make hotel reservation you end in a loop with out end. Just another example
It seams that some webdesign company in the Nordic has great success selling useless web design at the moment. I've seen multiple websites in the Nordic migrated to a similar useless design over the last 6-12 months. It probably works great on a table or Ipad, but it's useless on a PC or if you need to find some usefull info. I've not seen any websites outside the Nordic migrated yet. They are probably better at doing UAT's.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
I just did request a star alliance upgrade on an EVA air flight. It went fine over their interface on the inbound flight, on the outbound flight they seemingly don't have availability, so I only got a very cryptic error message.

I agree it could be done much easier as it is really complicated to fill in the very detail itinerary in the form, but eventually I got it confirmed. I found it very good value for my particular case: 4.700 CNY "B" economy class leg upgraded straight into business for 30.000 points (13 hour long flight).
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus
I have tried to upgrade on Staralliance with my SAS Eurobonus points at least 10 times and never been successful. I have taken extra notice to book the right booking class, I have called gold service to have them do it for me, they have confirmed that it should be possible, but it is impossible. I am convinced that SAS has stopped this. It is extremely poor that SAS does not offer this anymore and again the Staralliance rules. I have tried to contact Staralliance but not been successful.
Christian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.