Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to face Ryainair at CPH starting in March 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS to face Ryainair at CPH starting in March 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just like any other competition, I think that it is healthy that FR gets challenged in their interpretation of European laws. Maybe FR is right, maybe they are not. But someone does need to challenge them, as the current interpretation is wholly FR's. Should staff employed in Denmark, working based in Denmark, living in Denmark only be governed by Irish law?
The problem is that the planes are registered in Ireland, which technically makes their work ground Irish. It's the same construction Bjørn K. uses for his long haul adventure.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
If you want intra-Europe competition, OSL could do with an airline like Air Berlin. More aggressive pricing for the same economy product (if not better due to free drinks/snack), reliable, little nonsense and opportunity to earn OW points/status.

DY long haul doesn't improve service, doesn't improve product, unreliable, no alliance association, premium service is equally or more expensive than real airlines and destinations like OAK and FLL are questionable. Not the kind of competition that is in your interest.
Just wondering... how can you be so sure that DY long haul doesn't improve? I still keep my fingers crossed that they do, actually... also because I got a 'free' trip with Bjørn to JFK in January...

For intra-Europe, I'm still hoping that a real low cost carrier will start flying into Norway (apart from privately owned Torp and Rygge), but it seems that Avinor is keeping them away. AirBerlin I've flown in the past. Decent product for a decent price, but financially so unstable that I seriously expect them to file for bankruptcy every day now. On the other hand, I've been doing so for a few years now. And... they don't fly to Norway anymore, I believe (or significantly reduced the schedule). They had a few flights between OSL and TXL for a few weeks.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by UltraRant
The problem is that the planes are registered in Ireland, which technically makes their work ground Irish. It's the same construction Bjørn K. uses for his long haul adventure.

While the legal ground for the AOC, route permissions,etc. are Irish, and on clear legal ground. The question is whether aircraft based in Denmark with Danish based crews should be employed under Irish or Danish conditions and labour law. There is actually no clear legal definition nor precedence for that. FR claims the work ground is Irish, the union claims Danish. Legally it is still a question mark.

The closest example is shipping, but there are specific laws covering the setup for shipping, and they are specific to shipping, and aviation does not fall under them.

The main reason Björn K want NAI, is not just Irish working conditions. It is access to EU open skies agreements and bilaterals that Norway is not part of.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL actually improved its product in general
Really?

KL's shorthaul product has been heading downhill for at least 15 years in an unrelenting race to the bottom.

Johan
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
While the legal ground for the AOC, route permissions,etc. are Irish, and on clear legal ground. The question is whether aircraft based in Denmark with Danish based crews should be employed under Irish or Danish conditions and labour law. There is actually no clear legal definition nor precedence for that. FR claims the work ground is Irish, the union claims Danish. Legally it is still a question mark.

The closest example is shipping, but there are specific laws covering the setup for shipping, and they are specific to shipping, and aviation does not fall under them.

The main reason Björn K want NAI, is not just Irish working conditions. It is access to EU open skies agreements and bilaterals that Norway is not part of.
I am not so sure you are correct about Norway in this matter at the current time, for (unless I am mistaken) the following suggests that Norway and Iceland were included in the EU Open Skies agreement under an additional protocol:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/..._states_en.htm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Really?

KL's shorthaul product has been heading downhill for at least 15 years in an unrelenting race to the bottom.

Johan
Well, I had to take a KL flight earlier this year (no alternative) and despite that the crew still has a terrible attitude, I think the hard product itself has been increased quite a bit. I liked the new seating much, much better than the old one. This was on TRF-AMS-TRF on an E90.

My worst flight of all time was actually with an older KL 736 with a seat pitch of 28" with very uncomfortable, thick and worn out seats. They got rid of the plane about one year later. It was even much worse than FR, no doubt.

Furthermore, they stopped handing out the dried out sandwiches without butter or topping. I now had a bag of nachos and a drink of choice. Which is a general improvement. Plus that it's much better than what SK offers in Y.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:04 am

That's interesting. for what I know, Norway and a few more other countries are added in an appendix of Open Skies.

Bjørn could have chosen dozens of other countries, but chose Ireland due to the work conditions. Which is why you now have full Thai crew on Bjørn long haul. Plus that I may be a bit biased now, as those work conditions and the attack by other airlines on this construction are the main things seen in the media about this...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am not so sure you are correct about Norway in this matter at the current time, for (unless I am mistaken) the following suggests that Norway and Iceland were included in the EU Open Skies agreement under an additional protocol:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/..._states_en.htm
The US one very specifically yes, but not other agreements.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's interesting. for what I know, Norway and a few more other countries are added in an appendix of Open Skies.

Bjørn could have chosen dozens of other countries, but chose Ireland due to the work conditions. Which is why you now have full Thai crew on Bjørn long haul. Plus that I may be a bit biased now, as those work conditions and the attack by other airlines on this construction are the main things seen in the media about this...
The question would then be where do the planes have their base? As that is the question in the Ryanair case. If it is Ireland as well, then it is a case for Irish law. If the base is Copenhagen, then the unions are running a one sided battle against Ryanair, and only after Ryanair appeared.

And yes Norway is on the US agreement, which is why NAS is already running to the US, but the South American routes they have been talking about would require EU location. For Now.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US one very specifically yes, but not other agreements.
My bad for forgetting that, thanks.

Wouldn't Norway be able to get the EU to back up Norway's getting access to other EU open skies agreements by way of additional protocol agreements in much the same way? I guess it could take more time to get those additional protocol agreements for other EU open skies agreements, but are there any particular countries that would have sour dealings with Norway but be fine with the EU?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
My bad for forgetting that, thanks.

Wouldn't Norway be able to get the EU to back up Norway's getting access to other EU open skies agreements by way of additional protocol agreements in much the same way? I guess it could take more time to get those additional protocol agreements for other EU open skies agreements, but are there any particular countries that would have sour dealings with Norway but be fine with the EU?
I guess Norway could be included in most agreements, but seen as a private company it might be a safer bet to have an EU entity than to rely on government negotiations.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
According to an article in today's Sydsvenskan, Ryanair will move their CPH base to Kaunas, Lithuania.
http://www.sydsvenskan.se/ekonomi/ry...nar-kopenhamn/ (in Swedish)

Because of the conflict with the Danish union, Ryanair is planning to divert their CPH flights to Landvetter, Sturup, Halmstad, Kristianstad or Ängelholm.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article21101468.ab

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Jul 10, 2015 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Because of the conflict with the Danish union, Ryanair is planning to divert their CPH flights to Landvetter, Sturup, Halmstad, Kristianstad or Ängelholm.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article21101468.ab
Lol... great idea... You want to go to CPH and up in KID! I live close to the airport and if you are stranded there... you are lost. It is ar least 2,5 hrs back to CPH via train or bus (or 1,5hrs and SEK1800 for a taxi)

Same goes for Ängelholm and Halmstad. Landvetter is resaonably good connected but also a world away from CPH. The only real option is Sturup - and even that is a crappy option if you want to go the Copenhagen.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
The Swedish unions "ST" and "Unionen" are planning sympathy strikes to support their Danish union colleagues, planned to start July 18th. I don't know how much that will affect SAS.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:28 pm

Ah, would be typcial Ryanair: Copenhagen (Kaunas).

But why Kaunas? They already have had a base there for many years, now.

Also, none of the airports, except Sturup, would be an alternative. Ans then they need to set up a proper bus or train over the Øresund. They used to have that, some years ago. I remember taking a FR flight from MMX to STN with a bus from Copenhagen city center...

@fassy: are they KIDding us?

@UA1K_no_more: isn't that what unions are about? Solidarity at the cost of others?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:53 pm

@fassy: are they KIDding us?
At least KID should have enough free slots, we have just two daily departures and arrivals to ARN - during low season like now even just one in each direction 4 out of 7 days

And the facilities at KID are probably up to FRs standard :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.