Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS to face Ryainair at CPH starting in March 2015

Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Ryanair is wrapping up MMX and going to start up at CPH to serve the Danish and Swedish sides of the Oresund region.

Should make things interesting.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Interesting indeed. Hope that makes flights cheaper
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: SK-EBD
For now quite limited effect on SAS, I think. Maybe more on other LCCs.
One aircraft for now servicing three routes and they are all to secondary airports. But we will see, 10 more routes announced later next year.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
For now quite limited effect on SAS, I think. Maybe more on other LCCs.
Trust me - SAS is not being as sanguine at this news as you are!!!

They're not just starting service at CPH - they're immediately making it a base!!!

They will have 4 aircraft based there by the end of the year, and plan to carry 1 million passengers.

Ryanair doesn't just take passengers from other LCCs. And SAS was recently in dire financial straits, was it not?

(Mo'L doesn't think SAS can survive on its own)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: EBG
Look on the bright side SAS, Ryan air and PIA are the two airlines that are undoubtedly worse than you so in this case SAS will always get my business almost without reference to the cost.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
For now quite limited effect on SAS, I think. Maybe more on other LCC’s.
One aircraft for now servicing three routes and they are all to secondary airports. But we will see, 10 more routes announced later next year.
I'm pretty sure Ryanair intends to have at least four cities served from CPH. It's going to eat into SK's traffic in material ways on some routes.

If it weren't for the Star Alliance affiliation and related benefits along with the FFP, SK will probably lose out even more and faster to Ryanair on some city pairs to/from CPH. But that "legacy carrier" basis alone won't solve SK's problems. SK is getting squeezed from multiple sides and can't say this Ryanair move into CPH is going to do SK any favors.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 29, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
There are many things that SK could do better but I will never support a company like Ryanair. Poor conditions for their employees and a total lack of manners in their public communication. No thanks.

Priority check-in, lounge, fast track and the *A benefits is important for me so I will continue to support SK despite all their shortcomings.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Any idea on which routes they will serve?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mattyb44
Any idea on which routes they will serve?
"London", Warsaw and Milan, at least.

The talk is of over a dozen Ryanair routes out of CPH by or in 2016. The press conference was at the Hilton CPH this morning.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 29, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Is Milan also "Milan", i.e. Bergamo?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:30 pm

Japp, and Warsaw is Modlin
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: EBP/SK*G, M&M FT, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Diamond
You cannot seriously be comparing Ryanair with SAS and mean that they will be competing for the same customers??? The two only times I have flown with Ryanair, only operator flying the route STN-AAR, can only be compared to a cattle transport of the worst kind and coupled with FA's with an attitude you wouldn't believe (actually when you read about they are treated by the company, you can understand to certain degree). For me: NEVER AGAIN!!! I would prefer to row a boat across the channel and ride a bike the rest of the way to Aarhus, than to put my feet onboard one of their aircrafts again.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Pandion1Haliaetus
You cannot seriously be comparing Ryanair with SAS and mean that they will be competing for the same customers??? The two only times I have flown with Ryanair, only operator flying the route STN-AAR, can only be compared to a cattle transport of the worst kind and coupled with FA's with an attitude you wouldn't believe (actually when you read about they are treated by the company, you can understand to certain degree). For me: NEVER AGAIN!!! I would prefer to row a boat across the channel and ride a bike the rest of the way to Aarhus, than to put my feet onboard one of their aircrafts again.
You are missing the key point here, well actually you are not. If they are the only operator flying a route, they will get customers. I would also believe there is a large proportion of danes who would rather pay 149dkk than 1499dkk for a flight to London. If Easyjet have made the LCC model out of CPH work, Ryanair will have absolutely no problems!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
No self-respecting individual will fly RyanAir, hardly competition. They've been flying from Stockholm Skavsta for years and it hardly impacted SAS. Surely they didn't lose any business travellers over it.

Originally Posted by Mattyb44
You are missing the key point here, well actually you are not. If they are the only operator flying a route, they will get customers. I would also believe there is a large proportion of danes who would rather pay 149dkk than 1499dkk for a flight to London. If Easyjet have made the LCC model out of CPH work, Ryanair will have absolutely no problems!
I'm also sure there are plenty of Danes who would love to see people that expect they can fly for 149dkk no longer aboard real airlines.

Regardless of their "unique" routes being useless as the airports are usually secondary in the middle of nowhere. I'm more worried about having 3 LCC carriers trying to support a business from CPH, the local market simply can't support it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
No self-respecting individual will fly RyanAir, hardly competition. They've been flying from Stockholm Skavsta for years and it hardly impacted SAS. Surely they didn't lose any business travellers over it.
Ryanair has not yet really turned its focus to Scandinavia - expect this to change in the coming years.

When they switch to Arlanda - and its quite possible that they will, as their new strategy is to serve main airports [with the exception of LHR, FRA and CDG which they have recently reaffirmed they will never serve] - you may find there are more non-self-respecting Swedes than you hithertofore believed!!!

Originally Posted by NewsinEnglish.no
Ryanair growth threatens Norwegian

Ryanair would not reveal if it had any plans to start flying into the main Scandinavian airports in 2014. The company faced problems in Norway last year, including an unfair dismissal case, accusations of illegal staff surveillance, and CEO Michael O’Leary’s friction with authorities, causing Ryanair to pull its outspoken boss out of the public relations spotlight. Late last year Ryanair announced it was cutting back some of its Norwegian flights to expand its service into Italy.

Ryanair flies into Rygge, Torp and Haugesund in Norway, but not into the main Oslo Gardemoen airport. An application to fly into Stockholm’s largest airport, Arlanda, is under consideration. The company previously applied for traffic rights into Copenhagen airport, but later withdrew its bid.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 30, 2014 at 3:34 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.