Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Connections in Copenhagen (CPH)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connections in Copenhagen (CPH)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Andie007
Quick question: Planning to head to Europe in two weeks (EU citizen).
SAS is offering me EWR-CPH-DUS or EWR-OSL-DUS... both for a decent price.

Any restrictions I need to keep in mind prior booking this flight? Any difference when it comes to connecting in OSL vs CPH in times of Covid-19?
Thx!
CPH is the better choice for transit than OSL, and that’s for various reasons.
ksu likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
1h35m connection at CPH (SK to BA) - cutting it too fine?

I know risk tolerance is subjective, but I'm hoping for some input from those familiar with CPH if this plan is pretty much impossible, or merely risky but doable on most days. I'll be arriving from FAE at 16:10 and departing on a BA flight at 17:45. Travelling hand luggage only, and sadly my plans kind of require these flights in order to make best use of time. So I'm willing to bear the cost of buying new flights if I do miss the connection, but clearly there's no point in even attempting this if there's say a 50+% chance of missing the connection.

Now.. 1h35m seems ok to me assuming on time arrival, but what do CPH regulars think? Its the Schengen to non Schengen connection that is making me a little nervous.. is there a need to add any significant amount of time due to this?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by s1362083
I know risk tolerance is subjective, but I'm hoping for some input from those familiar with CPH if this plan is pretty much impossible, or merely risky but doable on most days. I'll be arriving from FAE at 16:10 and departing on a BA flight at 17:45. Travelling hand luggage only, and sadly my plans kind of require these flights in order to make best use of time. So I'm willing to bear the cost of buying new flights if I do miss the connection, but clearly there's no point in even attempting this if there's say a 50+% chance of missing the connection.

Now.. 1h35m seems ok to me assuming on time arrival, but what do CPH regulars think? Its the Schengen to non Schengen connection that is making me a little nervous.. is there a need to add any significant amount of time due to this?
Should be fine unless there is some kind of unusually long airside testing issue that comes into the picture. In this kind of situation, I would pretty much assume the connection to be no problem as long as your arrival flight into CPH disembarks passengers more or less on time. Assuming I'd be able to get OLCI done and get a boarding pass for the BA flight, I wouldn't be worried.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Should be fine unless there is some kind of unusually long airside testing issue that comes into the picture. In this kind of situation, I would pretty much assume the connection to be no problem as long as your arrival flight into CPH disembarks passengers more or less on time. Assuming I'd be able to get OLCI done and get a boarding pass for the BA flight, I wouldn't be worried.
How worried would you be if you couldn't complete OLCI? I see that the BA Back to Back thread has landside transit at CPH down as a 'reasonable', which is not the most promising. I'm not sure what the situation with BA OLCI is these days. I have a terrible feeling they don't issue BP until physical document checks are completed.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:54 am

You could call Menzies which are handling BA in CPH and check if they operate a transfer desk in the Schengen terminal. They used to have an agent in the common customer service/transfer desk area, directly behind the main security lanes exit. But haven't been in CPH for.... 18 months.... so, not sure if they still do have the transfer desk open.

That would cut down the risk considerable.
GUWonder and s1362083 like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
You could call Menzies which are handling BA in CPH and check if they operate a transfer desk in the Schengen terminal. They used to have an agent in the common customer service/transfer desk area, directly behind the main security lanes exit. But haven't been in CPH for.... 18 months.... so, not sure if they still do have the transfer desk open.

That would cut down the risk considerable.
Maybe the passenger could also try their luck at the gate for the departing BA flight, if ending up extra-desperate.

There is some kind of 45 minute cut-off thing with BA, however, I’m not sure how rigid they are about that at the gate at CPH; but the Schengen-side Menzies transfer desk can be pretty rigid and the non-Schengen gate staff often show up just barely”.

One of the upcoming days this week, I’ll perhaps be around at CPH and could try to see how BA deals with me just showing up at the gate without a boarding pass or trying my luck for OLCI with BA on a one-way CPH-LHR flight as a US passport user.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by s1362083
How worried would you be if you couldn't complete OLCI? I see that the BA Back to Back thread has landside transit at CPH down as a 'reasonable', which is not the most promising. I'm not sure what the situation with BA OLCI is these days. I have a terrible feeling they don't issue BP until physical document checks are completed.
I agree that you should be ok. The transfer time at cph is listed as 45 minutes for “intercontinental” traffic which is where BA is housed these days.
As for BA, they probably will not issue your bp until you’re at check in/transfer desk. However, when you open online check in, there’s a document with questions that you need to fill out and submit. I think I even had to photograph my vaccine card. Do that several hours before your flight (the evening prior?). Once they’ve looked at your info, they’ll send you an email that it’s been approved and you may be able to download a boarding pass then — I’m not sure as I had luggage when I flew with them last week and had to go to the counter anyway. But a lot of the doc check has been automated.
Now, the one thing that may make you (nearly) miss your flight is if there’s a lot of people traveling to Asia etc and the line to the passport control is really long. Then you’ll have to elbow your way forward, or ask nicely. That’s not very popular as people who are going to the other side of the world will be nervous about missing their flight. I have had to be really persistent in the past and have arrived at the BA gate when it was already closed, but they let me on. I don’t think they close the gate until 15 minutes before departure.
s1362083 likes this.

Last edited by Tiramisu; Sep 7, 2021 at 4:11 pm Reason: Typos
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
SAS flight ARN->CPH connect AC->YYZ--connection long enough?

Never been to CPH before so don't know the lay of the land. This will be in July 2022; hoping that the covid restrictions will have eased but realize airports may never be the same again, so I'm pessimistic about connections--we prefer lots of time since we're seniors and need extra time, but don't see a good alternative right now. If this isn't viable, will have to look at a different route, through CDG perhaps.

Would this be a long-enough layover at this airport? It appears that SAS may have a codeshare with AC which might make it easier?

09:10 Stockholm (ARN) to 10:20 Copenhagen (CPH) - 1hr10m1 hour 10 minutes

AC 9924 Operated by Scandinavian Airlines

+ 1hr50m 1 hour 50 minutes layover + terminal change
12:10 Copenhagen (CPH) to 14:35 Toronto (YYZ) - 8hr25m8 hours 25 minutes
Operated by Air Canada
AC 829 Operated by Air Canada
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WWannabe
Never been to CPH before so don't know the lay of the land. This will be in July 2022; hoping that the covid restrictions will have eased but realize airports may never be the same again, so I'm pessimistic about connections--we prefer lots of time since we're seniors and need extra time, but don't see a good alternative right now. If this isn't viable, will have to look at a different route, through CDG perhaps.

Would this be a long-enough layover at this airport? It appears that SAS may have a codeshare with AC which might make it easier?

09:10 Stockholm (ARN) to 10:20 Copenhagen (CPH) - 1hr10m1 hour 10 minutes

AC 9924 Operated by Scandinavian Airlines

+ 1hr50m 1 hour 50 minutes layover + terminal change
12:10 Copenhagen (CPH) to 14:35 Toronto (YYZ) - 8hr25m8 hours 25 minutes
Operated by Air Canada
AC 829 Operated by Air Canada
More than plenty of time.

Terminal change airside just means walking from one concourse to another. Then exit passport control from the Schengen area. There should even be time for a lounge visit.
GUWonder and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
More than plenty of time.

Terminal change airside just means walking from one concourse to another. Then exit passport control from the Schengen area. There should even be time for a lounge visit.
Thank you. I see there are Piers in the airport. Do you happen to know which pier we would come in to, and where we would depart from? Just trying to visualize this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WWannabe
Thank you. I see there are Piers in the airport. Do you happen to know which pier we would come in to, and where we would depart from? Just trying to visualize this.
Most likely arrive in B or Schengen D. And depart from C.
​​​​​
WWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:25 pm

Now if I can just find a decent terminal map, I might figure this out yet. The maps I've found are very confusing.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Slightly out of date on the D section and further to the left, but it will not matter for your walking flows, as you will not need to visit those parts
WWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:53 pm

Tight connection via CPH during COVID

Hi there, SAS is marketing 50 min connection in CPH transferring from USA-CPH to CPH-FCO. Is this possible given immigration/COVID checks now during the pandemic? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gogogofalcons
Hi there, SAS is marketing 50 min connection in CPH transferring from USA-CPH to CPH-FCO. Is this possible given immigration/COVID checks now during the pandemic? Thanks in advance!
If you transit through Denmark, you don't need a test upon arrival, so the 50 minute connection should be doable.

However a negative PCR test taken no later than 72 hours before arriving in Denmark or a negative anti-gen test taken no later than 48 hours before arrival in Denmark is required. If you are arriving from a country on the amber list, a booking confirmation of your holiday destination is also required. If you reside in a red zone country (no countries are currently flagged as this) transit is only allowed with a worthy purpose at the destination.

https://en.coronasmitte.dk/rules-and...ers-in-transit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.