Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS at LHR T2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: SK-EBD
I had heard that as well, but it was not obvious as the airline in question hasn’t informed about it at all (AFAIK). And since people here started to get happy with the PP lounge, I found appropriate to post this “obituary”.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
They don't have different lounges for long haul in the US so in effect they are domestic lounges. UA has an ok lounge in NRT, but I preferred ANA lounges. Back in the day they had a lounge at FRA, which as also just ok. No food though.

Up until 2008, UA had a lounge in T3. It was dated but it was ok. In the early 2000s UA was in bankruptcy and then they probably knew about the new terminal 2 plans and the temporary move to T1. I stopped going there circa 2003 when the SAS London Lounge opened. The Star Alliance lounge in T1 was dominated by United and I thought it was quite nice. I liked the decor with Eames Aluminum chairs. Had ok food too.
UA still has a decent lounge in NRT, it is the Global First lounge. But you need a first class ticket to get access. The United Club is terrible. When I was in the newly opened domestic club in San Diego last year, I would say was a nicer experience than my last visit to the NRT club. But good to hear that the got a bit of a grip on things in London. I wonder if it will last, or just opening night glitz.... ;-)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: EBD
Tried all three lounges in T2 yesterday: LH-senator (not a single available seat, very cramped, the business part was much nicer), Air Canada (nice, but a bit to the boring side), and the United lounge which is wonderful with large shower rooms, ironing service, a bar with lots of drinks including real champagne, good choise of food, plenty of room and very nice staff. Oh, and the walking between A- and B-gates doesn't take 15 minutes, more like 5 or 10. I would go for that lounge anytime, even if I have to walk between piers A and B.
A funny thing: When boarding, a sign at the gate says "Please have a seat", but there are no seats apart from three seats reserved for disabled. Priority boarding for my CPH-flight was also a bit odd: Two different lines both signed with (SKxxx, please have a seat), and then two ladies shouting: "priority boarding now".
T2 is certainly a new, shiny and nice terminal, way better the good old T3 and the very filled T5, but there is room for improvement.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So did SK board in T2B or did you walk all the way to the UA club and back to T2A?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by oliver2002
So did SK board in T2B or did you walk all the way to the UA club and back to T2A?
SK boarded from A16, practically just down the stairs from the Senator Lounge. Very convenient. Was told by a lady i the UA Club that SK always uses T2A.

Conveyors between the piers are for some reason only oneway from T2A to T2B. If you go from T2B to T2A, you're on your own (feet). So yes, I walked all the way from UA Club, and it took less than 10 mins. During my walk, I met a guy who worked as a gate manager at T2, and he had to do this walk several times a day; he did look a little tired.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jespersm
Conveyors between the piers are for some reason only oneway from T2A to T2B. If you go from T2B to T2A, you're on your own (feet). So yes, I walked all the way from UA Club, and it took less than 10 mins. During my walk, I met a guy who worked as a gate manager at T2, and he had to do this walk several times a day; he did look a little tired.
It's because there are two tunnels, one for departing passengers and the other for arriving passengers who must be kept separate. Hence the moving walkways only travel in one direction.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: SAS EBG, BA Bronze, Thon Gold, Nordic Choice Silver
I am writing this from the LH senator lounge at the moment. I think it will probably be my first and last visit here.
I was in T2 about 10 days ago, and was directed left out of fast track to the Plaza Premium lounge. It was wonderful - there was lots of space, excellent food and it had a very nice luxurious feel.
This time round, I was told that the LH lounge has now opened so I eagerly turned right after security and headed to the big yellow doors. The queue was huge - it took me nearly 15 minutes to get in. I was given a key card to the senator lounge, but the doors were open because so many people were going in and out.

I was shocked to see how cramped it was. Every seat was taken and there must be over 30 people standing. (Same in the standard section, but I thought I was going to get some respite when I walked through those special senator doors!). After about 10 minutes, I got a seat at one of the high tables. I logged onto wifi which was easy enough, but I have now had to re-connect 3 times because it keeps dropping. Maybe just too many users.

On the plus side, the food is very good - lots of snacks as well and a good selection of drinks. Service seems to be good - my dirty plates were collected fairly swiftly.
I'm just so shocked that a terminal with so much *A traffic can have such a small "main" lounge!! I have read good things (above, in this thread) about the United lounge, so I look forward to trying that next time - but I only have about 30 minutes until take-off so I wont go exploring for now.

All in all, a disappointment, especially because of receiving such nice treatment only a few days ago in the other lounge!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by timlno
I am writing this from the LH senator lounge at the moment. I think it will probably be my first and last visit here.

I was in T2 about 10 days ago, and was directed left out of fast track to the Plaza Premium lounge. It was wonderful - there was lots of space, excellent food and it had a very nice luxurious feel.
Well the Star/LH lounge in T1 was poor (and the ones I have been in Frankfurt were unimpressive) so perhaps no surprise that the London one is not great - though no excuse for it being too small... and that is before all LH group airlines have moved to T2.

As for the wonderful Plaza Premium nothing to stop you going there next time - just make sure to pre-book your ticket!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: DYKWIA
I'm looking forward to visiting the Senator lounge. Both the AC Maple Leaf lounge and the UA Club lounge are great but they are not ideal when you are trying to minimize the time spend at the airport - unless you are departing from T2B of course..

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
UA still has a decent lounge in NRT, it is the Global First lounge.
Decent isn't the first word that comes to my mind. The lounge is very spacious and does have a great view but the interior is both old and worn, not to mention the selection of food and drinks which is just embarrassing for an international first class lounge.

The Global First Lounge at LHR T2B is luckily a chapter of its own when it comes to UA lounges...
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldtravellerExtraordinaire

Decent isn't the first word that comes to my mind. The lounge is very spacious and does have a great view but the interior is both old and worn, not to mention the selection of food and drinks which is just embarrassing for an international first class lounge.
It was only meant as a comparison to the United Club in the same airport. And the word was only decent. I generally expect more 'decent' from a first class lounge.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Been to all T2 lounges now except for SQ - UA still on top of my list. Didn't think the day would come I would say that. :-)

Hope to be able to fit a SIN trip through LHR instead of HEL in later this year to have a look.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
SAS London LHR flights out of T2A or T2B? Which Lounge?

Does SK flights out of LHR depart from T2A or T2B?

Which is best lounge to use? UA or LH?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Gates are usually assigned at short notice, its a mixed bag of A and B. The UA lounge is less crowded depending on the time of day.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I personally prefer the LH lounge.

Just keep an eye on the information screens, as gates are usually only announced last minute at LHR. Which is one of the things I dislike about LHR, but so far it never caused me to miss a flight.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
My vote is actually for the AC Maple Leaf Lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.