Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS at LHR T2

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: A3*G
Temporary lounge arrangements

As the LH SEN lounge has not opened yet, SAS have made temporary arrangements with the Plaza Premium Lounge (= lounge A3) @T2. Definitely worth a visit!

Incidentally, as a *G travelling SASGo, I was able - just as @T3 - to use FastTrack at security. Manual intervention required - DIY BP scan does not work.

Last edited by ObserverA3; Sep 12, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
Indeed they do and you just have to watch to see that it's not effective and staffed by some of the rudest people imaginable. I think it is a job creation programme for those who would otherwise be unemployable.
Still bafflingly pathetic which unfortunately is costing them more then the few jobs it gains. I would opt for BA considerably more often if it wasn't for Heathrow security.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ObserverA3
As the LH SEN lounge has not opened yet, SAS have made temporary arrangements with the Plaza Premium Lounge (= lounge A3) @T2. Definitely worth a visit!
Flew SK out of T2 yesterday. Had a couple of hours, so tried both the Plaza Premium (PP), Air Canada (AC) and United (UA) lounges.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate them like this on my personal critical parameters:

Ambience:
- PP 8 (Dark luxury cave)
- AC 9 (Light with lots of wood)
- UA 8 (Light with leather and marble)

Space (at 7PM on a friday):
- PP 6 (A little crowded)
- AC 9 (Lots of space around seating)
- UA 8 (Less space around seating)

Drinks:
- PP 5 (Free standard brands/mixers bar service, nothing exiting)
- AC 7 (Free specialty brands/cocktails)
- UA 9 (Free premium brands, big selection, long bar)

Food
- PP 7 (Nice selection, some tasty items)
- AC 4 (Poor selection/quality)
- UA 6 (Nice selection, tasteless)

Power
- PP 6 (UK outlets in tables)
- AC 5 (UK outlets in floor)
- UA 10 (Combo UK, US and USB outlet in tables)

Wifi internet
- PP 8 (Good bandwidth, easy signup)
- AC 8 (Good bandwidth, easy signup)
- UA 8 (Good bandwidth, easy signup)

All in all, I think the United lounge is my favorite (never thought I'd hear myself say that).
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Still bafflingly pathetic which unfortunately is costing them more then the few jobs it gains. I would opt for BA considerably more often if it wasn't for Heathrow security.
I inquired about the topic on the UK forum and I have been attacked by English who think it is impossible to implement logistically and that UK security is vastly superior so must be done undertaken at LHR.

Kudos to CPH and MUC for implementing one stop security, as it's called.

What's the deal with ARN? Not a connection airport per se.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by gnaget
I inquired about the topic on the UK forum and I have been attacked by English who think it is impossible to implement logistically and that UK security is vastly superior so must be done undertaken at LHR.

Kudos to CPH and MUC for implementing one stop security, as it's called.

What's the deal with ARN? Not a connection airport per se.
ARN has no security screening for connecting passengers as long as you never leave airside. (There is airside transfer between T2 and T5 (i.e. the two international terminals) by bus)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Had the chance to experience the Plaza Premium lounge this morning, circa 5.20am. I was among only 4 others in there at the time, and food was still being put out. Very nice ambiance, with background music and a slight oriental feel. A few nice cubby hole type places for added privacy if needed. 3 PCs for use. Serviced bar which stacked your main brands spirits and liquors.

Breakfast was a little odd and very very cluttered. Hot selection was porridge, baked beans, sausages and boiled eggs (shell on) which is kinda weird...

Not much in the way of bread, but some rolls are present, some mini finger sandwiches, croissants and muffins. Fresh juice is apple or orange, and they supply the smallest glasses ive ever seen to drink from!!

Didn't test the wifi as my 4G was working fine.

All in all a nice lounge, although it could be a different scenario at busier times. But I like the lounge and its feel!

Next Monday I will try the AC lounge and report back!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by skba1
ARN has no security screening for connecting passengers as long as you never leave airside. (There is airside transfer between T2 and T5 (i.e. the two international terminals) by bus)
Also for non-Schengen arrivals? I think that would violate EU security regulations.

I arrived from Turkey recently (at the old B pier in T5) and did not really notice an opportunity to enter the departure terminal, but I wasn't looking for it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gnaget
Also for non-Schengen arrivals? I think that would violate EU security regulations.

I arrived from Turkey recently (at the old B pier in T5) and did not really notice an opportunity to enter the departure terminal, but I wasn't looking for it.
In ARN T5 (gates 1-10) they can divert arrivals from supposedly 'unclean' countries for screening upstairs before they are allowed into the transit area. The same goes for T5 F gates.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
There is an additional check for non-Schengen arrivals in T5, actually not sure about T2.

There are hardly any non-Schengen arrivals at the same time with transferring passengers, hence there is never any kind of queues if you're in the front of the plane. The ARN security is efficient and does not make it their sole purpose in live to make your journey as miserable as they can, unlike LHR.

I'm not so much against the extra security check, it's primarily the consist extremely miserable experience.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In ARN T5 (gates 1-10) they can divert arrivals from supposedly 'unclean' countries for screening upstairs before they are allowed into the transit area. The same goes for T5 F gates.
But don't all non-Schengen arrivals mix at immigration? I do remember being diverted back when German airports were unclean and we had to go through security at 1-10 before going down to baggage and exit.

Gates 1-10 never have non-Schengen. That's what we used to call the A pier in the good old days. The non-Schengen is at the end of the B pier (gates 11-20 or whatever). That's where TK arrived.

BTW, incredible security line yesterday at ARN. When I got to the lounge (8:20) then I could see the queue was all the way to the old check-in all where the door is located! 15 min earlier it was half-way into the new SAS check-in area.

I went to the charter pier, which had quite a long line too, but it moved quickly and I think the old fashioned self-serve trays makes it faster.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
For quite some time MUC was considered 'unclean' by ARN so we were always funnelled one level up upon arrival (any gate in the A pier) to go thru a security check before being allowed to the general concourse again. Even for arriving pax that had the final destination in ARN. The end of the A pier was built for Non-Schengen arrivals too @:-).
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
For quite some time MUC was considered 'unclean' by ARN so we were always funnelled one level up upon arrival (any gate in the A pier) to go thru a security check before being allowed to the general concourse again. Even for arriving pax that had the final destination in ARN. The end of the A pier was built for Non-Schengen arrivals too @:-).
Yes, I experienced that and found it really annoying.

Before the Schengen system, the transatlantic flights departed from the end of the A pier, but I don't recall there being a non-Schengen zone down there. Or is that the reason that there are 10 gates? It used to be 8 gates in the A pier.

Once just after the F pier had opened, the EWR flight was operating from the B pier for some reason. There was a flight to Russia at the same time and there were huge lines because it took a long time to administer the exit stamp for the Russians for some reason.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by raunow
Flew SK out of T2 yesterday. Had a couple of hours, so tried both the Plaza Premium (PP), Air Canada (AC) and United (UA) lounges.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate them like this on my personal critical parameters:

Ambience:
- PP 8 (Dark luxury cave)
- AC 9 (Light with lots of wood)
- UA 8 (Light with leather and marble)

Space (at 7PM on a friday):
- PP 6 (A little crowded)
- AC 9 (Lots of space around seating)
- UA 8 (Less space around seating)

Drinks:
- PP 5 (Free standard brands/mixers bar service, nothing exiting)
- AC 7 (Free specialty brands/cocktails)
- UA 9 (Free premium brands, big selection, long bar)

Food
- PP 7 (Nice selection, some tasty items)
- AC 4 (Poor selection/quality)
- UA 6 (Nice selection, tasteless)

Power
- PP 6 (UK outlets in tables)
- AC 5 (UK outlets in floor)
- UA 10 (Combo UK, US and USB outlet in tables)

Wifi internet
- PP 8 (Good bandwidth, easy signup)
- AC 8 (Good bandwidth, easy signup)
- UA 8 (Good bandwidth, easy signup)

All in all, I think the United lounge is my favorite (never thought I'd hear myself say that).
Thanks, raunow. Very good job!

Impressive that you got even the wifi and power outlets in your review. Was just missing location of the lounges.

As SAS check-in recommended the PP and as I suspected the AC and UA to be after immigration I went for the PP. I agree in your review. Nice place. And good, real food. And at 4 pm this Thursday, it was not overcrowded.

BUT: the queue for getting in was too long and all alcoholic beverages are served from a staffed bar. Can be nice, but there was just one bartender and the waiting time was too long too. I saw a former Danish foreign minister in front of me turning around empty handed after waiting for 5 minutes.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:52 pm

Flying LHR T2 tomorrow on SK -> AC connection. Pleased with the power details, can't believe some lounges are build with just UK outlets. BA had solved this at least 10 years ago with multi outlet sockets in their lounges. By the sounds of that review it seems I'm heading for the UA lounge which is a both surprising and disappointing at the same time. If the UA one is best then the rest has really been failing and under performing. Hopefully the LH lounge has some potential.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:24 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
If the UA one is best then the rest has really been failing and under performing.
Don't be fooled by the usual standard of UA lounges in the US - the one in LHR really is excellent, as good as anything LH offers in Senator lounges. The food is more than reasonable (and hot), the drink range is fairly extensive, there's a decent amount of room at most times and the staff are friendly and helpful. I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.