Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Revised food & beverage offering for Go / Plus & Business starting Q2/2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised food & beverage offering for Go / Plus & Business starting Q2/2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
On my trip back from SFO this week all alcoholic drinks in Economy were to be paid for

The bad scenario have now started.....

What is the next thing to expect SAS will do on economy - charge a fee for bags and seat allocation?

/HerrO
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BHIL
A friend of mine was on CPH-SFO yesterday in GO. He told me that a lot of pax were extremely unhappy with the changes (especially no wine or beer with the meal) in GO so the FA's had to take a lot of heat. Poor them as they are just the messengers. Not everyone travelling SK is a frequent flyer updated with the latest changes in service concepts so this must have been an unpleasant surprise for all those looking forward to a beer or a glass of wine with the meal. Especially when this kind of service is still standard on most other airlines when flying IC.
The SK crew members seem to have been trained to use the language of "service concept" being different and that being why drinks of various sorts aren't free on its various routes while free on partner airlines. Given codesharing, there are more of these exchanges with crew members.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
On my trip back from SFO this week all alcoholic drinks in Economy were to be paid for
I hadn't followed this thread much but my wife was irate that she had to pay for alcohol (which she did not) but also only had 1 free non-alcoholic drink with the meal. She was charged for a second Sprite (edit: I just read back and see that this was confirmed in post 41).

According to her, the food offering was less than thrilling. She described the salad as "3 pieces of ice berg lettuce and 2 olives". She is not one to complain, so I expect things have really taken a turn for the worse in Go. While it won't convince us to pay for Plus, it will push us to another carrier if flying econ.

Last edited by livious; Mar 15, 2014 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Thanks for reviewing here. My upcoming Tokyo flights in GO are near and I´m not thrilled. Good to know in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:05 pm

there was mention of the new C-class food and beverage concept being tested on the NRT route.
Anyone try it yet?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:26 am

A year ago I went with Lufthansa to HKG and a few days ago I went with SAS to PVG, both trips on Economy. I thought a small comparison would be nice just to illustrate things (knowing that there's a chance that Lufthansa has changed their service within the last year)

Flying with Lufthansa I remember I got
* A warm towel sometime during the flight
* In-flight entertainment system where I can choose when the movie starts
* A choice between 2 dishes for the meal
* Free drinks (alcohololic and non-alcoholic) during dinner and juice and water during the whole flight
* Warm breakfast
* Newer plane (A340-600)
* Choice of Coffee, Black tea or Green tea

On SAS a few days ago to PVG I got
* No warm towel sometime during the flight
* Only an old In-flight entertainment system where I can't start the movie myself
* No choice of dinner (and the dinner was really less than inspiring)
* Only 1 free non-alcoholic drink during dinner and only water during the whole flight
* Cold (and small) breakfast
* Older plane (A340-300)
* Choice of Coffee, Black tea

From my point of view I will always choose another carrier than SAS except if it is so that SAS has a direct route to my destination. These days a direct route is SAS's only advantage from my perspective.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by dash8
From my point of view I will always choose another carrier than SAS except if it is so that SAS has a direct route to my destination. These days a direct route is SAS's only advantage from my perspective.
Completely agree.
SAS really has an inferior in-air Economy experience.

Only pros that I can come to think of is the direct flight and the additional EB points.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:46 am

A bit sad to read as I´d do anything to avoid Finnair and now SAS has a same concept. Perhaps SK cabin crew is more consistent.
How good or bad is SAS PLUS in long haul? Is meal any better than in GO?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: EBG (SK*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
A bit sad to read as I´d do anything to avoid Finnair and now SAS has a same concept. Perhaps SK cabin crew is more consistent.
How good or bad is SAS PLUS in long haul? Is meal any better than in GO?
The differences between Plus and Go in long haul is:
- Lounge access with Plus (only SAS lounges, not *A lounges)
- Fast track (only SAS locations, not *G locations)
- Boarding with Biz and *G pax
- Wider seat (2*3*2 config compared to 2*4*2 in Go) and a little more leg room.
- Meal is slightly better (ie. salad with smoked salmon and better dessert), but main course is the same as in Go. You also have the choice of a fish dish (which is usually better than the normal meal).
- Breakfast / light meal is usually a little better, but nothing special.
- Wet warm towels before meals
- Free drinks with meals (and free soft drinks throughout flight)
- Actual cutlery is used instead of plastic
- 200% points

So as you can see the additional cost to fly Plus (double the price or more) on long-haul does not justify its benefits, especially if you're already *G.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by SecretGuy
.... and a little more leg room.
I would actually argue there is substantially more legroom (and a leg rest IIRC). I am 196 - and the difference between Go and Plus is huge in terms of comfort.

Also in Plus there is AVOD (which should be the standard in Go also, but...).

I do not think it is worth the price delta - but with OT there is a very nice offering indeed - and 200% EB.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:07 am

Thank you for reviews. Schedules, seat comfort, leg room and meals are most factors when I choose long haul flight. Not experienced SAS yet. In future I'll book PLUS/ Business, if this NRT flight is ok. Yes I have OT bid this first time, but I think I'll secure my comfort by booking at least PLUS.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by SecretGuy
So as you can see the additional cost to fly Plus (double the price or more) on long-haul does not justify its benefits, especially if you're already *G.
My 2 meter long frame disagree. Plus is not great, but 38" pitch is worth the money for anything except maybe day flight to New York.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
I would actually argue there is substantially more legroom (and a leg rest IIRC). I am 196 - and the difference between Go and Plus is huge in terms of comfort.
You beat me to it. Beeing 190cm+ is really expensive flying wise, especially when the wife doesn't want to sit alone back in M
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs down

I just got an email from SAS about new better meal in PLUS on NA routes and it mentioned that GO customers would get to PAY for breakfast from now on

They are getting closer to DY in economy everyday
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kauppias
I just got an email from SAS about new better meal in PLUS on NA routes and it mentioned that GO customers would get to PAY for breakfast from now on

They are getting closer to DY in economy everyday
It was not just an option for Go customers to buy an upgraded breakfast?? Would surprise me otherwise, but maybe they are feeling more heat from.Norwegian than they expected and they need to get the base price down a bit, and the total price up a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.