Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Revised food & beverage offering for Go / Plus & Business starting Q2/2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised food & beverage offering for Go / Plus & Business starting Q2/2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Regarding those people who choose to drink in the lounge or on the plane. Who says they are not 'on vacation' and are entering a relaxation period away from work? Since when has a few G&Ts or glasses of wine been such a crime?

I personally tend to not drink when on business/work related flights, but when my holidays come its the opposite!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I see a slight difference between a few glasses of wine and getting blotto.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:41 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
You didn't know that UA charges for all alcoholic drinks in Y? It's not even that bad. Delta charges anything that serves outside meal times
Not correct any longer... DL now offers all booze (including hard booze) for free on TATL/TPAC flights
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Bennion
Regarding those people who choose to drink in the lounge or on the plane. Who says they are not 'on vacation' and are entering a relaxation period away from work? Since when has a few G&Ts or glasses of wine been such a crime?

I personally tend to not drink when on business/work related flights, but when my holidays come its the opposite!

Nobody will complain if you enjoy a good drink or two - even on business travel. I also don't have a problem if it is more than two and you can behave yourself and stay away from me.

On Wednesday a group of elder Danish gentlemen boarding the plane were so drunk, as they have been in the lounge killing quite some impressive amount of Aquavit and beer, that they didn't even managed to get their hand luggage in the overhead bins and tumbled down the aisle stinking like an Irish pub at 3am on St. Patrick's Day. As the service started first thing they grabbed wine and beer...

I don't care if they go on business or on vacation - sitting next to them was more than uncomfortable and annoying. I was lucky and could relocate to another seat after speaking to the FA but I think this is just something which is totaly unacceptable.

There were times gate agents would have denied boarding in that condition.

Last edited by fassy; Feb 14, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Fly SAS and GO dry!

You must now pay for beer and wine in Go class on international flights

Really? How cheap is that?

http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/02/14/s...for-sale-only/

I'd say that is a NO GO!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:30 am

Already discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...our-meals.html
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
uff da! sorry. I asked to have this removed.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Updated info after a day where Bonusfeber amongst others contacted SAS on this.

Now the text on the web sites have changed so the beer/wine are included during meal service.

New text:

Food and drink As you settle in to your seat, we will serve you a drink before dinner. Your meal will start with a small appetizer, continue with a delicious warm main course and end with dessert and coffee and tea. Wine, beer and soft drinks are included with dinner.

During the flight, you can purchase alcoholic and soft drinks, snacks and candy from our CloudShop.
Link: http://www.flysas.com/en/travel-info...lights/SAS-Go/

So questions now remains - was it all a human error or a preperation?

Br,
Henrik
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:18 pm
ekf

Food and drink As you settle in to your seat, we will serve you a drink before dinner. Your meal will start with a small appetizer, continue with a delicious warm main course and end with dessert and coffee and tea. Wine, beer and soft drinks are included with dinner.
During the flight, you can purchase alcoholic and soft drinks, snacks and candy from our CloudShop.
http://www.flysas.com/en/travel-info...lights/SAS-Go/

Thankfully they appear to have changed their minds again
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by herro
Updated info after a day where Bonusfeber amongst others contacted SAS on this.

Now the text on the web sites have changed so the beer/wine are included during meal service.

New text:

Link: http://www.flysas.com/en/travel-info...lights/SAS-Go/

So questions now remains - was it all a human error or a preperation?

Br,
Henrik
The text is indeed back to the old version for Go. And the pre departure champagne remained in C. So maybe we did get an improvement rather than an enhancement.

Could they have done it to measure reactions, a test balloon?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Remember SK is just one fuel price hike away from bankruptcy (or rather asking SE/DK/NO for some more cash)... they still have to cut a lot of costs. All alcohol served in flight (after doors close) is duty free, so swedish/danish/norwegian costs probably don't apply. That said I remember the refill I wanted to order in OSL from LGS NO during SMD1 was more expensive than the duty paid liquor we sourced locally in FRA.

The pre-boarding drinks are taxed and not duty free, so SK is serving 5€ glasses of bubbly there
Are you sure? They write the below on their homepage:" Start your journey with some bubbly. While we complete final pre-flight checks, relax with a glass of chilled champagne. "

Under EU law the use of the word 'champagne' means it must come from that particular district in France. And pretty much everything from there is palatable and certainly not at the 5€ price level. So I remain optimistic for my next flight
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Airlines have very clear rules on BYOB... I doubt SK will allow it.
Swedish law prohibits BYOB, so SAS have to comply with these laws.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GreatDane

Under EU law the use of the word 'champagne' means it must come from that particular district in France. And pretty much everything from there is palatable and certainly not at the 5€ price level. So I remain optimistic for my next flight
If they actually spend 5 € pr glass, we should be pretty well off. That should give 35 to 40 € pr bottle bought wholesale in decent quantities, that should indeed allow for a reasonable glass.
Come to that, and the Piper they served before, I think they will invest less than 5 € pr glass. Even serving actual champagne.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by fassy
For me it would be okay if alcohol on all airlines in all service classes are banned permanently. I also enjoy a good wine or drink during the C meal service or a good honest beer after a long day of work flying back home - but I have seen too many people who get boozed up in the lounge, barely make it to their seats and continue to drink like they are sitting in a bar.

I think it might take some time to get noticed in SAS HQ since a lot of people will book a flight without reading too much of the service conditions and get a suprise at 30.000 feet. they will then decide "okay next time, different carrier". Let's assume thes poeple fly TATL once a year for vacation - that means SAS will see the hit on bookings in 2015.
You are so right, I agree with you. Also when reading your example of drunk boarding procedure is something that I don´t ever want to witness. What about unruly situation between their party members? Or loud conversations.

Two years ago it was very important for me to have a drink in a lounge and up in the air. After wines I always behaved well as there were other people too than only me; but being teetotaler for two years now - thank God - it is too common and more easier now to see those intoxicated situations in the airport and on aircraft that you write about.

Yes, SAS Finnish site says that up to three alcohol drinks are included during meal service in GO long haul.

They should keep this concept. ^

Perhaps I book SAS flight for me and my spouse to North America this summer as my better half enjoys to have 1-2 wines during TATL. It is easier to have them included with a meal without inconveniently waiting and keeping your wallet 1-2 hours in reach of your hands in GO as space is cramped anyway.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
Perhaps I book SAS flight for me and my spouse to North America this summer as my better half enjoys to have 1-2 wines during TATL. It is easier to have them included with a meal without inconveniently waiting and keeping your wallet 1-2 hours in reach of your hands in GO as space is cramped anyway.
I think you raised an interesting point. I do not care whether booze is free on board or not. I sometimes use it, sometimes don't. This is by no means a differentiating factor between airlines for me.

But, indeed, buy-on-board has the annoying aspect of needing to access your wallet, which is often difficult (it is in the luggage build, you not sitting next to it), inconvenient (it is close to you, but you have a meal tray in front of you and still it is hard to stand up) or uncomfortable (the wallet is big, and your pockets small ).

I often missed the ability to charge the drink "to-my-seat" in the same style as it is customary to charge "to-your-room" in hotels. Then I just would needed to sign a slip of paper from the FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.