Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LN-RKP ferried from Chile to Toulouse [merged non-retrofitted A340 thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by kharte
I guess he would know.
You are clearly not a frequent SK flyer. The amount of times that SK-staff flat out lies to you or feeds you misinformation is mind boggling.

When a purser tells you that, it must be true.
Yea.. no.

About the seats. Its for a complete fit of all classes. And it IS close to 100 mill$ for one plane.
Right...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Right now the normal Boston flight SK927 is on final approach to Goose Bay with SAS tech guys to try to get RKP up and running again:

Live FR24 feed here: https://www.flightradar24.com/SAS927/d14ae42
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by herro
Right now the normal Boston flight SK927 is on final approach to Goose Bay with SAS tech guys to try to get RKP up and running again:

Live FR24 feed here: https://www.flightradar24.com/SAS927/d14ae42
Now after under 45 minutes SK927 continues from Goose Bay to Boston. Then the SAS Tech guys are ready to work on RKP to get it back in the air.

Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: More than one
Looks like OY-KBM is on standby for picking up the stranded passengers.

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/oy-kbm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Looks like OY-KBM is on standby for picking up the stranded passengers.

https://www.flightradar24.com/reg/oy-kbm
And OY-KBM took off from YYR about 30 min. ago and is on route back to CPH as SK6944 estimated arrival time 16:00. Looks to be something like 27 hours delay for the passengers. Very similar to the similar incident about a year ago on OY-KBA
https://www.flightradar24.com/SAS6944/d175376

LN-RKP still stranded in YYR
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:06 am

LN-RKP is now on its way to Malta - likely to visit LH Technick.

I have to applaud SAS on solving this issues rather fast. While I was not on SK944 on Sunday - it seems from afar that this was solved the best way possible.

If this has been a DY/D8 flight the passengers would have been left at the terminal i Goose Bay - and still be sitting there. While the PR guys in Scandinavia would claim that everything is dandy.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
LN-RKP is now on its way to Malta - likely to visit LH Technick.

I have to applaud SAS on solving this issues rather fast. While I was not on SK944 on Sunday - it seems from afar that this was solved the best way possible.

If this has been a DY/D8 flight the passengers would have been left at the terminal i Goose Bay - and still be sitting there. While the PR guys in Scandinavia would claim that everything is dandy.
I agree. Getting the passengers to CPH with a 28 hour delay after a cabin pressure issue is good work IMHO.

Looking at flightradar24.com it looks like the tech guys managed to fix the issue, or at least temporarily. The plane is currently cruising at 41.000 feet. When the similar incident hit OY-KBA it was ferried back to CPH at low altitude at 3500 feet.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:29 am

SAS buys the LAN Chile Airbus A340 (LN-RKP)

SAS have bought the LAN Chile Airbus A340 (LN-RKP). So not it is no longer a lease.

I am thinking if this means that there will be a new cabin in the plane in stead of the old one. What do you think?

I have made an article on InsideFlyer on it (in danish). The only other information is the document where the owner is changed to SAS Norway.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
SAS will need to standardize RKP with the rest of the fleet at some point, but do they have the capital to manage this after buying another plane? Perhaps they saved enough money by cutting the FastTrack and 3rd party lounge access

I wonder what forced them to buy the plane now and not continue leasing RKP until the A350s arrive.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by livious
SAS will need to standardize RKP with the rest of the fleet at some point, but do they have the capital to manage this after buying another plane? Perhaps they saved enough money by cutting the FastTrack and 3rd party lounge access

I wonder what forced them to buy the plane now and not continue leasing RKP until the A350s arrive.
A well used A340 has very little market value. I guess it was too good a deal to pass up on. Most airlines have dumped their A340, or in the process of doing so.

It is hardly a scoop, it was posted in this forum already on the 14th :-)

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 21, 2017 at 5:51 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: TK*G, AB G ;), HH D

I wonder what forced them to buy the plane now
I've heard from SAS finance department their bank accounts got full after all the money saved from ditching the fast track in AGP and ending the lounge agreement in LPI.

Also the extra fuel consumption of A340, compared to A350 helps to keep the levels of bank account under control in the future. It was definitely a good investment. ^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus
Also the extra fuel consumption of A340, compared to A350 helps to keep the levels of bank account under control in the future. It was definitely a good investment. ^
Yes, but the low price on the old bird compared to the high leasing fee on the new birds, and the current fuel prices being far below USD $100 per barrel more than compensate the higher fuel consumption.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

I haven't been reading FT lately and missed that. Will check the comments out there and read up a bit more.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Hi,
Sorry if this was a repost - but could not find any news about it.
/Henrik
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

They have already postponed the 350 once. Who says, they wont do it again??
They should arrive end of 2019, but I want to see that before I believe it. I think 2021 is a better guess.

I guess, in the long run, they might be able to save a little, when they own RKP, rather than lease it.

On the other hand, it does't make any sense to buy it without upgrading the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.